Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

New System

Soon I will be buying a new computer & I have a technical question: Is it better to have a: A)Fast ProccesorB)Lotsa RAMC)Good Video CardThanks!

Guest flightpro08

If you're talking about performance for FS2k2, then a fast proccesor is without question the most important thing. As long as you have a good CPU, just get about 512MB of RAM and a GF3 or better video card and you'll be set. (Both of witch can be found pretty cheap anymore.)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolTaxiwaysigns.com

Guest Joshieca

A well balanced system is prefered...If your running WIN XP or WIN 2000 and FS2002 I would say nothing short of 512MB of ram.A good video card is a must....GForce 4 4600 if you can afford it, but the 4400 will do also. Stay away from the "MX" GForce cards. If a GF4 is too much $$$ look for a used GForce 3 Ti500. I just sold mine for $175 so you can find them out there, check out EBAY and HALF.COM.Finally a good CPU. If cost isn't a factor I would go with a P4 system, but you might want to wait a few weeks, as the new P4 2.8 & 2.66 CPU's will be out, and the cost of the the other CPU's should come down a bit.For CPU's on a budget...AMD....anything above a XP1900+ will work well.Are you building this system yourself or are you getting a boxed system? If building it yourself, choose a good motherboard....For AMD CPU's the VIA 266A or 333 chipset will work well.For INTEL CPU's go with the 850e/845e chipset or the SIS 650Gl's.Don't forget a good power supply...nothing short of 350 watts.Good luck....[div align=center]http://members.cox.net/joshieca/fstimeslink.gif

N212NW:You need both a fast processor and a fast video card. A good video card takes an enormous burden off the processor freeing it up to do other things. I can't even count the number of times folks having a decent processor who've switched from a poor video card like the MX200 to a GF3Ti500 or GF4Ti have claimed hugh increases in not only graphics quality but framerates too. Just do a search over at flightsim and you'll find quite a few threads to that effect. Not as many on this forum as people who make that claim here seem to get challenged. FS2002 is both a cpu hog and also a video card hog. As far as ram goes, I'm running 384mgs of ram and that seems to be enough with Win98. If you're running XP, you'd probably be wanting 512mgs. Like everything else, the faster the ram the better off you are. Get the most you can afford.

Josh; ""For INTEL CPU's go with the 850e/845e chipset or the SIS 650Gl's"". What about the new Asus P4T533-C mobo ?? That uses the 850. Costs a bit more!! That's one I'm looking at. Seem to remember reading somewhere that it's a better board for overclocking???? The new PIV 2.53 533mhz processor should be coming down in price to around $418 from what I hear when the big boys come out. That 2.53 can be overclocked to around 3.0 gig from what I understand??

Guest PaulL01

Just do a search over at >flightsim and you'll find quite a few threads to that >effect. Not as many on this forum as people who make that >claim here seem to get challenged. FS2002 is both a cpu hog >and also a video card hog.MG,What you say is true about needing a fast video card. But lets set the record straight ok? That way you can fill-in all your friends over at the "other" forum...:-rollFS2k2 is a DX7 game and frankly there just aren

Un lucky me just bought (4 months ago) GTS2 V7700 TI 64 MB DDRand my A7V333 with XP2000+ FSB = a secret :-lol and 1 GB DDR and a frame rate between 20 / 30 FPS average...Almost all sliders maxed out except clouds (75%) and atc (80%)...Hence if they wright the software correct (for multiple CPU) I'll want to have a second XP2000+ on nice multi board that should boost performance :(If I'll have to choose more budget for a VGA card or CPU regarding FS2002 then the choice is made more CPU more CPU more CPU...I'll like a CPU with a Idle % of 95 hahaha and FS2002 under Full load...awfEHAM

André

Guest PaulL01

>>FS2002 is both a cpu hog >>and also a video card hog.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................scan complete..............................no response detected

Guest SlimDady

I just saw an article the other day that had the exact same system but tested 2 cards using flight sim.. the geforce 3 and 4.In the end they basically found out there is no conciderable difference between the two..They said what most made the difference woul dbe processor speed..For ram atleast 256w ould be fine.. I didnt notice much speed ncrease when i got my 512mb

Guest PaulL01

Not sure what your point is MG, I'm not trying to butt heads with you, just trying to put to rest the notion of whether or not Fs2k2 is still very CPU dependant or not. ???Comments about perceived ideas aside, that was the whole point of benching as anyone can perceive what they want, Heck I know for a fact that my Car gets better gas mileage, does 0-60 a lot faster and is much quieter every time I wash it! etc. etc. :-lol Notice in that post that the colors where perceived as being "much" brighter in the new GF4? Fact is it is more probable that poor fellow has Color output that is less than what he had before as there as been more concern by Nvidia over the use of below spec hardware in the manufacture of many GF4,s so that optimum filtering and color separation were being lost, (that's why I got the Gainward).

Just providing feedback for the originator of this thread. My next computer will be the PIV 2.53 Processor and at least a Ti4600 Video card with the new PC1066 ram. Just waiting for the prices to come down which should be shortly from everything I read. Interesting read on that new ATI, but I'm not a fan of ATI. Oh well, they usually come with a 30 day return no questions asked. I might risk it. Not in any real big hurry right now as the weathers to nice. My PIII800 (great processors) GTS64 handles the sim fine; but it's getting old and I'd like to crank the AI up and go to 32 color.

Guest PaulL01

Is there such a thing as a yellow bellied waffle? :-lolTake care MG, ake hair!