Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Out of memory error messages please Read

It is NOT scenery or AFCAD, I have not installed any ;)Alex and anyone else getting the dreaded out of memory error message, Do you have Flight Deck Companion V 3.0 or V 3.1 installed? See this post...Dave,First off, I absolutely love the program and I am a LONG time user, all the way back to S-Combo LOL. Thanks for the V 3.1 update and Happy Holidays to you.Unfortunately however, I think I have a problem. Please allow me to give you a little background. I have been experiencing Out of Memory error messages for months now with two different systems and multiple h/w configurations. I can not remember the first time it happened but I think it is about the time of the LVL-D release. Now I am trying to think if it was around the time of the V 3.0 upgrade? I really only get it on long hauls and usually on approach or just after touchdown. I try to use the report landing runway feature but it usually does not report. I am wondering if that is looping and causing the issue. I get it with the PSS, LVL-D and PMDG 744. Like a lot of other users I had a tremendous amount of add-ons installed from Aircraft to utilities to sceneries etc... As such it was very difficult to ever track down what add-on caused the errors. I tried everything, ran memtest, ran heavyload, switched ram, video cards, motherboards, video cards sound cards, scanned for landclass, duplicate Afcad, removed sceneries but nothing would resolve the issue.For the past few weeks I have been on an absolute mission. I have formatted my system and started from scratch. With over 40 gigs in my FS directory this was no easy task. I first installed FSUIPC V 3.51 since upgrading to 3.52, then ActiveCamera. I flew like that with default aircraft for a few days no issues. I then installed the PMDG 737-NG and then the PMDG 744. I flew for a few days (straight without reboot) doing at least 5 or 6 long haul flights, no issues. I then installed the LVL-D, same procedure, multiple long hauls with no reboots and no issues, I then added the PSS 777 and did the same thing, flew for a few days without rebooting doing multiple long hauls. No issues.When I was confident it was not an aircraft issue itself I then installed ASV. Same thing, flew for a few days with all three planes and no issues. Next to be installed was FSPassengers. Did multiple flights with all 3 planes and FSP and again, no issues. Today I installed FDC, and perhaps it is the checklist or performance files I am using but they have all been updated and saved per FDC V 3.0 instructions but on my first flight with FDC installed I got an Out of Memory error almost imeediately after touchdown. This is the EXACT same behavior I was getting prior to formatting everything and starting from scratch. I can not say definitively it is FDC but I have been extremely methodical about my testing procedures and environment. There is absolutely NO add-on scenery or AFCAD files installed. The install order and problem replication path was as follows:1. Format completely2. Install XP and all patches including SP23. Install Vanilla FS (Test for days, no errors)4. Install FS Patch (Test for days, no issues)5. Install FSUIPC, FSBuild and ActiveCamera (test, no issues)6. Install PMDG planes (test no issues)7. Install LVL-D (test no issues)8. Install PSS (test no issues)9. Install ASV (test no issues)10. Install FDC (crash with out of memory error message on first flight...Just curious if anyone else seeing the issue had the same common factor= FDC...Disclaimer...Please do not view this as an attempt to bash FDC, I think it is one of the greatest programs ever, just trying to confirm a theoryLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I do not have flight deck compantion, but I am not getting out of memory errors anymore! My errors now are fe.dll crashes! LOL! it never ends I guess. I replaced my ram with 2 1gb sticks of new memory and am sending back my old 1gb stick, I am pretty sure it was bad and that was causing the out of memory issue.But I just converted my main ai repaints to dxt1 hoping that will fix the problem... time will tell.Anyway, glad you got it working.I might have to reinstall the leveld to see if that does not bring back any out of memory errors. It is such a great airplane!Glad to see you found the issue for your system, I wish I could say the same :(

Paul,Thank you so much again from the team for the time you've spent investigating this.Couple questions:1. Does the error cease if you uninstall FDC and then return again after reinstall? (if so, that establishes causation in some way in my book...)2. If so, I'd uninstall FDC and then continue with other addons to see if you can find other programs that trigger this besides FDC. We suspect there may be more than one because of things like Big Al's post where OOM was observed without FDC installed. There's probably several things that can trigger this.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

well I have not had an out of memory error after the uninstall of the leveld airplane. But my dll crash has popped up instead, I don't get it...

Ryan,It is my pleasure, I agree that there are probably a "few" culprits out there but if we can start knocking them off one at a time, it is a huge win for everyone.I am going to do a bit more experimenting. 1. I am doing the EXACT same flight right now, same weather same time everything without FDC. I will see if I can replicate the crash without FDC. If so, then my theory goes out the window but if I am succesful then it definitely leaves us leaning towards FDC in my case.2. I am going to try FDC with default aircraft on the same flights and see if I can reproduce.3. I will uninstall FDC and see if the problem goes away entirely...Time will tell but it seems like I am finally getting some sort of realistic evidence here...Thanks all,-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Just a quick update.I did the EXACT same flight as the one that CTD last night. I had even saved the wxr through ASV so I used the exact same wxr. Loaded up FsPassengers, everything was identical to the previous flight minus FDC. Will six hours 2 minutes later and I am on the ground at EGCC. No issues at all. I bet if I do the same flight with FDC again it will crash. just an update but it is definitely looking like FDC in my case, nothing to do with any of the add-on planes at all...-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Thanks Michael,Some more info below: Posted: 28-12-2005 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote psolkHi All,Just another update. I have since stopped using FDC and since have not seen a single OOM. So it appears there could be a potential conflict between FDC and some of the newer more sophisticated add-ons. This is default FDC, not FDC using the LVL-D 767 enhancements available via FSCONV. Dave is still looking at the info I sent over to him.I have now started adding Scenery back in one at a time. The first thing I added (this morning) was UTUSA V 1.21 and the QLRP4UT add-on for UTUSA. I will do KSEA-KEWR later on to see if I can generate an Out of Memory without FDC running. I tried disabling the aspects of the program that I thought were causing the issues and the application closed with a buffer overrun error. Not good...There is nothing to say that FDC is the ONLY issue or conflict so I will continue to add one thing at a time. By the end I should be able to compose a fairly definitive and extensive compatibility list. Right now I am doing another backup as I installed a new add-on today.I know this might sound like overkill to some but this is how I am installing each add-on. This is why I say the list will be as definitive as possible minus the factor of individual h/w. This is software compatability only...1. Prior to any add-on installation I create a system restore point2. Prior to any add-on installation I create a backup of my a. entire FS9 directory b. my app data FS9 directory 3. Post backing the files up I label them include a read-me for myself and compress them.4. Now I install the add-on reading EVERY SINGLE LINE of EVERY SINGLE README multiple times.5. Next I do a full Name based defrag5. I then test for a minimum of 3 days under all circumstances doing nothing but long hauls without shutting down or rebooting FS. No issues I move on and if I get an error I can troubleshoot EXACTLY what add-on was installed when it first showed up.Incidentally, I also have a text file with the serial and purchasing info of every add-on I have ever bought. Never rely on being able to find that e-mail again LOL.So in essence I have just given what could possibly be the most obsessive compulsive anal retentive FS install and backup procedure known to manI bought a 300 gig external drive just for this process. The most unfortunate thing out of all of this is that typcially the plane will be the LAST add-on installed prior to the error so obviously everyone points the finger at the plane. If you look at it from the flip side and install the planes first you quickly realize THEY are not the problem. My suggestion to all and some might not like it but if you are going to get a MAJOR new add-on plane it would never hurt to start from scratch and install that first...Oh well, just my .02,Happy Holidays to all,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk