Sign in to follow this  
Byrna

747-400 losing control during level flight due to weather/winds

Sergey,Thanks for the work-around but what I'm trying to get PMDG to clarify is, knowing the winds issue with FS2004, IS disabling just the auto-throttle disconnect feature possible? IF YES, then is it realistic to expect PMDG to be able to make this change (disabling) without completely re-designing the flight model and making it worse?In other words, I certainly would not want the flight model responsible for the beautiful handling of the 744 compromised to disable the autothrottle disconnect logic. I'm asking PMDG if it IS possible to disable it without comprimising the FDE, that's all.John

Guest gwm1959

>John-->The new version of AS6 has an option to force constant temp>and constant pressure for the route that you import in before>flying. This takes care of the problem you have described. I>have never had to adjust wind settings within FSUIPC or AS>after checking those two options. I don't think having to use>this route is realistic, but then again abrupt temp and>pressure drops aren't either, so I'd take a good flight model>over a bad weather model any day.>Cheers,> John,After using Activesky 6 from PANC to KMIA and falling victim to the usual stalls even at lower altitudes, ie 28,000 ft with 80,000 lbs of fuel, I searched some more on the forum and found this thread. I check the options constant temperature and constant pressure in Activesky 6 and flew EVA 11 KLAX to RCPT, 13 hours under route weather and the plane performed perfectly. Thanks John !!Garth

Robert,If this was the case, then NO operations could be performed under autoflight.I was not aware that any real Boeing aircraft autoflight logic caused any vertical a/p disco when temp and pressure changes occured during real flight. If that was the case, they'd use v/s mode all the time and certainly would not get any type of auto approach certifications. At the very least the auto throttle arm switch would still remain on right?I think what you mean to say is that FS might be causing the a/p to disco under these circumstances, correct?For me I do not have this problem with the 737 series a/c but did have this issue with the 744 only after the fix. I remember an option somewhere in the PMDG menu for a switch to turn on and off. I can't remember what is was right off. In any case that didn not work for me either in either selection.Some users might have had issues with these discos due to joystick noise causing the yolks to move foward and aft which I can see would cause a disco in real world aircraft, although not sure how much travel is required for Boeing aircraft if any, right off the top of my head to cause a forcefull a/p disco.I'm glad someone brought this issue back up if nothing else for my own education.Edit: The other issue I am still seeing is that fact that while in 737 Vnav I have to to turn it off then on again after each waypoint while in the descent. It will not follow all the altitudes all the way down.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest rds_mcleod

>The new version of AS6 has an option to force constant temp>and constant pressure for the route that you import in before>flying. This takes care of the problem you have described. I>have never had to adjust wind settings within FSUIPC or AS>after checking those two options. I don't think having to use>this route is realistic, but then again abrupt temp and>pressure drops aren't either, so I'd take a good flight model>over a bad weather model any day.Sergey:I'm looking forrward to giving the temp/pressure constant a try. I see another user has found it a solution as well. I setup a 747 PAX 2/3 load with cargo PANC to KSEA today, and the approach became a brutal fight for control. But then, I haven't gone through a lot of the documentation either, and therefore I have no excuses to offer either. My 'guess' is that a LOT of us may suffer the same malady of lack of thorough type proficiency fed by too many flight models in the hanger. Do you know if the 747F series flight model is more stable than the passenger series? ~`Ron CYEG

Hi Garth,I have actually modified ASV6 settings but NOT with constant temperature/pressure all the way to the end option but with the elimination of things like turbulance, wake turbulance, wind shifts etcc.... This has improved my control of the plane during the manual landings I do (on the final, it is much more stable). However, since I have not flown much lately except online on VATSIM without 8x simulation, I have not tested stability at cruise at 8x yet. This week, hopefully, I will and will let everyone know.John

So far, had only one autothrottle disconnect at 8x sim rate at cruise altitude when crossing the Atlantic this week (KATL - EDDM).Definitely the incidence of autothrottle disconnects is far less, but not necessarily gone.John