Sign in to follow this  
Guest A32X

New CPU - Blown away!

Guest D17S

Just curious, what's your Video card's make and model?

My specs: AMD 64 FX-55, 2GB Corsair XMS Pro Series DDR-400 (cas 2-2-2-5), ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo, ATI X800-XT PCI Express 256MB video, Audigy 2ZS sound card, 2x 74GB WD Raptor Drives (1 of them dedicated to FS2004), all non-essential services disabled, all non-essential processes killed. On this FS machine, running Traffic 2005 and AI Smooth, and WideFSOn WideFS machine, running ActiveSky 6, and RadarContact 4.My FS machine gets between 15-30 FPS. Either FS2004 is a serious CPU pig, or something isn't set right?Does this performance sound right or do I need some serious tweaking?

I'm looking forward to my next upgrade (if the other half allows me too ;) ) I usually have a major overhaul every 2 or 3 years, and that is the end of this year :-) - im thinking vista, and hardware not even on the drawing boards yet :-)

Alaister Kay

Guest chrispy

What exactly is vista? Sorry if it's a noob question but i've been hearing that alot and don't know what it means.

The new windows software in development. Its due for release later this year. Offers many more features and benefits over windows XP

Alaister Kay

Guest OrbitalMike

Likewise.I was running a 400FSB, Pentium 2.4Ghz and decided to switch to an AMD Processor and MB. I got a socket 939 MB and an Athlon64X2 3800+ CPU. What a difference! I now have all my sliders comfortably set to the right, with nice smooth FPS, running the PMDG 737NG with FS2Crew.

Guest D17S

My guess is that you

I have a P4 2.8 and an X800 PRO (256 megs).I should be good to go I thought. I run AS6 and have Ultimate Traffic. I just bought the new Frankfurt airport and I think it looks beautiful, but I just can't use it at this point with anything other than default planes, and even then it's pretty choppy. Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest vilius1

>I have a P4 2.8 and an X800 PRO (256 megs).>I should be good to go I thought. I run AS6 and have Ultimate>Traffic. I just bought the new Frankfurt airport and I think>it looks beautiful, but I just can't use it at this point with>anything other than default planes, and even then it's pretty>choppy. >>Jeff Try switching to 16 bit color. I'm running EDDF with UT, dense scenery and LD767 with high-res VC gauges in 1024x768 16 bit color silk smooth. FPS do no drop below 20, where they are fixed. My system is P4 3.4 GHz HT Prescott 800 MHz FSB with 128 MB FX5900 PCI Express video card and 2GB DDR2 533 MHz RAM. Vilius

>Try switching to 16 bit color. I'm running EDDF with UT, dense>scenery and LD767 with high-res VC gauges in 1024x768 16 bit>color silk smooth. FPS do no drop below 20, where they are>fixed. My system is P4 3.4 GHz HT Prescott 800 MHz FSB with>128 MB FX5900 PCI Express video card and 2GB DDR2 533 MHz RAM.>>>ViliusIt's because you have that 3.4 Prescott chip, I heard those were awesome. I'll the 16 bit color tip a try.Thanks,Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Sounds great! Just makes me wanna get my new computer right away!I am stuck with a:Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.53GHZGeforce 4600Ti 128MB512MB DDR-SDRAM PC2100And will soon be stuck with:AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+Gainward 7800GTX or a Connect3D Radeon X1800XTOCZ EL Dual Channel Platinum 2048Mb PC3200Hopefully that will give a nice boost for the overall experience in FS, and especially the PMDG744 that I barely can fly due to stutters :(CheersJohan "Whats VNAV?!?!" Adolfsson

Well I have just upgraded (kind of) to a new 64 Bit processor, only a 3200+, my old one being an AMD 2800+. Also, changed the Mobo for a Gigabyte (not sure of model) and just a 1Gb stick of bog standard DDR Ram (3200).My FS has taken a turn for the better, I have just re-installed every add on I own as well as all payware aircraft, ASV6 etc etc and I am locked at 20fps and get a solid 20fps the entire flight.More than happy with my $500 investment...Graham