Sign in to follow this  

video card won't install - any help?

Good evening. I finally got fed up with my video card locking up and went out and bought a Triplex GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128 mdg card from Triplex. I couldn't install it and am wondering if its a bad card or if there is a compatiblity issue I don't know about. Using either the drivers included with the card or the most recent Nvidia drivers, the card will not complete the install. I get a error message after the system identifies the card that it failed to install, and when I open up the hardware profile and it says that the card is not installed because it is "configured incorrectectly (Code 1)". No driver is associated. I tried every driver on my hard drive, manual installs etc. Triplex does not have a web site. Also, the machine does fire up cleanly with my old card, a GeForce 2 TNT Pro with 64 megs.Before I eat the shipping and re-stocking, is this fixable? Also, is this a compatibility problem with my system (I can't imagine it is) that I need to think about if I have to buy another card?Thanks.System specs: Dell Systemp4 1.9 upgraded from 1.4 423 pin chip768 megs ramSanta Cruz Turtle Beach sound cardTwo hard drives c: is 40 megs, d: is 60 megs, both are about 50% full. D: is run off a PCI control cardTwo monitor system, with the second monitor coming out of a Matrox video PCI card (not on the same channels in the bios).56 K modem unusedXP Home Upgrade version upgraded 6 months ago (video card was cranky before the upgrade)Many thanks. Colin

Guest PaulL01

Disable your PCI card in the BIOS until after you instal the AGP card, and then make sure you asign the priority to your AGP in the BIOS when you re-enable the PCI card, however you may/probably will run into problems as a two card setup works better if they are both of the same make, brand or model is not as important.

Thanks Paul:Not sure this is a bios problem. The computer loaded up my old card not probs when I re-installed it after the new card failed to load. Also, I have not had any probs with the dual monitors out of two cards at all. They are on separate IRC channels and I've had the problem with the second card disabled. Thanks though. I'll keep on trying.