Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

How do we know when the 747 nose wheel is on the ground...

Guest cliffie1931

Since the update I'm not always sure when the 747 nose wheels are solidly grounded before being able to reverse the engines.In the original version I heard the grounding but now that doesn't seem to be the case.Cliff

Guest nicam

turn the volume up!seriously though I can hear it on mine, I have the upgrade.

Guest Jeroen November

Cliff,If my memory serves me well I've seen some pictures in the past with the reversers engaged prior to nose wheel touchdown. I at least don't wait for that cue. I activate the reversers the same time the spoilers go up, thus at main gear touchdown. Can any one give the correct procedure on this?Greets,Jeroen

Guest AJ

If I recall correctly, the reversers are partially unlocked once the mains are on the ground. At this point the sleeves can be opened and the engines can go into idel reverse. Once the nose gear in on the ground, full reverse thrust becomes available. Andrew

Guest cliffie1931

Interesting Jeroen.I too would appreciate knowing the correct procedure.Thanks for telling me the action you take.Cliff

THere is a section on the manual that states that the nose gear does NOT have to make contact in order to deploy reverse thrust. tom

Guest Vagabond78

Yes this is the correct procedure. Here is a quote from the 747 AOM provided by PMDG. It is located on page 9-16 under Manual Flight Techniques and the Landing section:"Reverse Thrust: The 747-400 has aparticularly large rudder, which leads tomuch greater rudder effectiveness attouchdown and rollout speeds than on manyother conventional aircraft. As such, there isno need to wait for nose gear touchdown toengage and use reverse thrust during thelanding roll."

Guest matsuman

You can also.....On the FS menu under cockpit view use those "V" shape or dots and reference them to the horizon. Do your setup while the 744 is on the ground and setup your zoom level. Realistic for me is zoom: 56When you see that reference point level with the runway horizon your nose wheel is on the ground.I always pull my throttle down to execute the reverse way before the nose wheel touch the ground.thanks,Kin M.(KLAX)

"Once the nose gear in on the ground, full reverse thrust becomes available."This is not correct, Andrew. When you pull up on the reverse levers you hit a baulk at a certain lever angle. This prevents you from using full reverse for a very short period of time. This baulk is released when the engine reverser sleeves have reached a certain point of travel. The amount of reverse thrust (engine rpm) available is based on sleeve travel. Some 744 engine EEC's limit the amount of thrust, proportional to sleeve travel even after the "interlock" baulk has been released. The reverse thrust levers send an electronic signal to the EEC's which then control fuel flow. The EEC's have the final say so to speak.If the sleeves are not fully deployed, the blocker doors in the coldstream duct of the engine will not be positioned correctly. This might lead to damage to the blocker door mechanism as well as less reverse thrust being available.There are other cues that the nose gear is down, however, but probably not all are modelled (e.g. the rudder pedal nose gear steering mechanism generates certain sounds. This system is not activated until the nose is down).Cheers.Q>

Guest Ian H

I always ensure that as the aircraft "de rotates" at the time the mains touch, I gently push the stick forward. Not jamming the nose gear in, but making sure its down and the aircraft sticks in any crosswinds.Ian HProud member of Knight Air.