Sign in to follow this  
Guest gremel

My (REAL 737NG Simulator experience)

Guest gremel

Yesterday, I finished a 4 hour real simulator training event in the 737NG-700. Previously, I had 3 hours last month in the same simulator and it was again an awesome adventure. This was all made possible by the PMDG 737NG software development team and the beta testers who have spent an enormous amount of time in it's development. I can assure all of you after the 4 hour episode that this software is as close to the real aircraft and it's systems as possible. This time I mostly flew manually using the FD instead of the A/P & A/T which I did back in November, to get more of the real feel for the aircraft. The check pilot aboard threw me a curve right before I was about to end the 4 hour episode by giving me an engine failure (AFTER V1). I held the nose on the rwy by using opposite rudder, hit the TOGA and lifted off seconds before the end of the rwy and airborne into an overcast all without the use of the A/P & A/T. What a trip. I was then vectored around for a while to an intercept course and finally broke out of the overcast to the wonderful sight of RWY27R at KATL. Banding the aircraft to the right, I then intercepted the centerline and with gear & flaps extended, made a manual greaser landing. The check pilot told me afterwards that if I had been there for a real check ride, he would have passed me. That was one of the greatest compliments that one could receive and I couldn't sleep after the event. Was I scared...You better believe it. But if I hadn't had the benefit of this software to practice, I could never have pulled it off. Keep in mind that this 747NG-700 is a $ 25 million dollar simulator compared to the cost of the PMDG software. What a steal...Again, I have nothing but the highest regard for the PMDG organization, and they are the ones who made these events possible for me. I want to thank them once again and all the members on this forum for their advice throughout the years that I have been a member on this forum. This was one of my ultimate dreams that was fulfilled. Now since one of my kids just bought me the CD version of the PMDG747 Queen, I have another dream to pursue and I will start on that one now that I have the 737 under my belt. Regards & I'm sure I'll have some questions on this forum for assistance with the 'Queen'...noullet

Guest gremel

Since there were a lot of hits on this, I'll try to put in a 30 second movie clip of what the real 737NG-700 flight simulator looks like on my engine out approach into Atlanta..Regards & Happy New Year...I know mine was shortly after this episode.noullet

Congrats man, that certainly sounds like loads of FUN ;P. If I had access to one of those simulators I might never do anything else....[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest gremel

Thanks Randy.PMDG & the beta team, like yourself, made it all happen. I have all 4 hours on my new camcorder and was wandering if I download the mini DV tape into my computer using 'dazzle' and then get it on a 'Windows media player' format, how I could download the 'Engine-Out sequence' so the members can see for themselves that an Engine out after V1 is possible to do while manually flying this a/c into & out of an 800ft agl overcast and land it with no A/T or A/P..It was totally awesome and all made possible by this software. Believe me when I say that I could have never accomplished this feat without the aid of this magnificent software...."It was as real as it gets" and PMDG & team gets full credits..Regards & any input as to how I could download a 90 second clip using the Windows media player would be appreciated.Regards,noullet

> If>I had access to one of those simulators I might never do>anything else.Hey RandyThey force me to go in those thing every 6 months,and while I`am in there I`d rather be doing anything else!regardsJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Guest neilb

>They force me to go in those thing every 6 months,and while>I`am in there I`d rather be doing anything else!I'll take your next sim checkride then Jon :(

>> If>>I had access to one of those simulators I might never do>>anything else.>Hey Randy>They force me to go in those thing every 6 months,and while>I`am in there I`d rather be doing anything else!>>regards>>Jon>Pat yourself on the back then Jon, just remember next time when you HAVE to use the Simulator that, multitudes of simmers would willingly take YOUR place?You are a very, very fortunate person indeed. Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

>... and was wandering if I download the mini DV tape into my computer using 'dazzle' and then get it on a 'Windows media player' format ...I would very much like to see a movie of your adventure. Windows Movie Maker has sufficient options/possibilities to capture, edit and convert your movie. Hope your find the time to get it done...Kind regards,Henk-Jan

>>>Pat yourself on the back then Jon, just remember next time>when you HAVE to use the Simulator that, multitudes of simmers>would willingly take YOUR place?For a play in a full motion sim then fair enough they probably would.But factor in the fact if you mess it up you are going to lose you job,your licence,and your livelyhood ,all in one go it tends to take the fun out of it a bit.Jon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

>>>>>>Pat yourself on the back then Jon, just remember next time>>when you HAVE to use the Simulator that, multitudes of>simmers>>would willingly take YOUR place?>>For a play in a full motion sim then fair enough they probably>would.But factor in the fact if you mess it up you are going>to lose you job,your licence,and your livelyhood ,all in one>go it tends to take the fun out of it a bit.>>Jon>>I guess you feel the same about medicals? I had one the other week and I did feel a sense of anxiety before hand, probably becaue I need vision correction so I am quite conscience of that. Jon do you know of any pilots who have lost their job over a check ride in a sim? CheersTristan

Noullet,Was your experience in the simulator as a paying customer or pilot in the making/training? If customer was it expensive? CheersTristan

Sounds like you had fun :-) I'd definately love to see some, well all the video you shot :-)Reminds me of a sim ride i took back in 2000 (wow such a long time ago!) I had an hour in a BA 777-200

Alaister Kay

Guest gremel

I was fortunate in this regard as I have a very good friend who is a Mgr for a very large company who was able to take care of my interests...Still working on putting together a 90 second clip on the manual engine out approach into Atlanta.Regards,noullet

JackI would love to see clips from your experience.I have logged 40-50 hours in level C and D sims myself, so I know the thrill. Another session coming up in 4 weeks :-).Tero

PPL(A)

Guest gremel

Tero,I am curious as to what type of yoke, throttles, & rudder pedals that you are using in your simulator at home. As you are quite aware by now with over 50+ hours in a real simulator that the real flight simulator controls are a lot different than the low to medium priced yokes available to the flight sim community as far as the real feel of what an aircraft is like to fly manually.You have really got to watch it in the real simulator when you are close to putting her on the tarmac during a landing. The tendency is to overcorrect and the controls get quite sensitive and heavy. I'm really looking for a yoke, rudder and throttle setup that can match the feel of the real thing.This area of the simulation experience has been lacking and there is a real need for somebody or company to come up with a ...reasonably priced...setup that approximates the real feel. After having spent close to 7 hours in the real 737NG-700, I'm willing to put out some cash to bring back some of that reality as one would get from a really good set of yoke, rudders & throttle setup.Any ideas?Regards,noullet