Sign in to follow this  
Guest markyp

Couple of questions for 737NG one more to follow

Guest markyp

Hi all,I am trying my hardest to find out how in the RW they takeoff the 737-700 etc.I know I can simply hit VNAV but as we know and aswell in real life the VNAV in the 737 is a little twichy.So I know I think in the speed window i put the VREF + 10 knts speed in??However when climbing and airbourne I just stick 230knts in or something like that and hit lvl change....Could someone please give me a correct way of doing the climb until cruise please in as much detail as possible? I have watched many video's but it always is a rush in the RW!!Thanks v muchMark P

Guest tmetzinger

Normally, the departure profile is flown as follows:Hit the TOGA button.===============Manual Flying==========Rotate at Vr.Climb at V2+20 with wings level (runway heading) until reaching 400 feet. Raise the gear with a positive rate.At 400 feet, you can engage a roll mode and begin any turns needed for the departure. Still flying manually following the flight director.At 800-1000 feet, you can accelerate to 220-230 knots. Basically lower the nose to maybe 8-10 degrees, and retract the flaps as you accelerate. Once you reach the target speed you'll raise the nose to maintain it, and you can put the flight director in a new climb mode, using VNAV, LVL CHG, or N1. BIG HONKING HINT: Using CWS mode allows you to manually fly the airplane and the airplane will maintain the attitude if you let go of the controls. It also bumps up the speed selected by 20 knots when you select it. I use CWS until reaching 1000 feet, and on my CH yoke the two buttons on the left horn are CWS and the autopilot disconnect. So I can just hit the CWS button after I reach 400 feet and don't have to worry about the airplane misbehaving.================1000 feet - AutoFlying==============At 1000 feet you should have a pitch and roll mode selected on the MCP, and you should manually follow the flight director. Once you're "in sync" with the flight director, you can select CMD A or CMD B and let the autopilot take over. You'll then be busy cleaning up the airplane (putting the gear in the OFF position), setting the start switches back to OFF, turning off the autobrake.At 3000 feet, unless you're in VNAV, you set the MCP speed to 250 knots for your climbout, until you reach the transition altitude.Obviously all this stuff happens in about 90 seconds after rotation, so you should practice it until it's a habit. You want to keep your speed below 250, and don't bust any flap speed limits. You also want to limit roll to 15 degrees or so initially, and you want to be smooth.Best wishes,

Guest markyp

Thanks for the reply! I have a couple more questions on the comments you made!Normally, the departure profile is flown as follows:Hit the TOGA button.===============Manual Flying==========Rotate at Vr.Climb at V2+20 with wings level (runway heading) until reaching 400 feet. Raise the gear with a positive rate.At 400 feet, you can engage a roll mode and begin any turns needed for the departure. Still flying manually following the flight director.----------------------Do I have to enable LNAV to be able to follow the Flight Director?? Could you explain a little more please? How do you put it in FD mode? Is this CWS mode? If so how do you enable it?------------------------At 800-1000 feet, you can accelerate to 220-230 knots. Basically lower the nose to maybe 8-10 degrees, and retract the flaps as you accelerate. Once you reach the target speed you'll raise the nose to maintain it, and you can put the flight director in a new climb mode, using VNAV, LVL CHG, or N1. -------------------------------Which will each of these climb modes do? I know VNAV will follow the fmc. I only ask as if I want to be careful on fuel burn and derated takeoff's??-----------------================1000 feet - AutoFlying==============At 1000 feet you should have a pitch and roll mode selected on the MCP, and you should manually follow the flight director. Once you're "in sync" with the flight director, you can select CMD A or CMD B and let the autopilot take over. You'll then be busy cleaning up the airplane (putting the gear in the OFF position), setting the start switches back to OFF, turning off the autobrake.-------------Again up to 1000ft that is this CWS mode again? I thought you had to enable LNAV but not put in the AP to follow the FD?!When climbing to 3000ft with AP on, without VNAV what mode will I be climbing in FL CHG or? V/S??--------------Tim thanks very much look forward to hearing from you!Mark PPS Will pm you to!

Guest tmetzinger

First, your flight director should be ON before takeoff. When you hit TOGA, you automatically selected a certain attitude on the flight director - a pitch attitude keyed to your V2 speed, and wings level. When you select CWS three things happen:Your MCP speed (which should have been set to V2 by you before takoff) jumps up 20 knots.The ROLL mode shifts to HDG, and the flight director will guide you to maintain the MCP heading. That's why you normally set your MCP heading to match the takeoff runway.The PITCH mode shifts to SPD, and will fuide you to the picth attitude to maintain your MCP speed, which is V2+20 now. When you enable LNAV, the flight director ROLL mode will change to LNAV and begin pointing you towards your programmed course, but you still have to fly the airplane by hand. LVL CHG mode maintains the FMC speed up to the MCP altitude and then switches to ALT hold. N1 just maintains the FMC specified thrust, it does NOT command a climb pitch. You're in CWS (or just flying by hand) following the flight director up to 1000 feet. At 1000 feet you can engage CMD A or B.

Guest UKPilot

Hi, In Ryanair the standard procedure for take off in the 800 is:Cleared to line up:-Seat cabin crew PAStart switches to CONTStrobes ONTCAS to TA/RACapt Arms A/T Cleared take off:-Landing lights ONstart timingAdvance thrust to 40% N1Press TOGACall 80kts, V1 RotateGear UP400 feet engage LNAV1500ft N1 (automatically appears) engage AP3000ft AGL Speed Bug to 'UP'Begin acceleratingpassing '5' Flaps to ONEpassing '1' Flaps to UPFlaps UP and lights are out-After Take Off Checklist, VNAV or LVL CHG.And away you go.PS there is nothing to stop you from Actually arming LNAV on the ground provided there is no emergency turn on the departure you are doing.Hope this helps.

Guest tmetzinger

>PS there is nothing to stop you from Actually arming LNAV on>the ground provided there is no emergency turn on the>departure you are doing.>>Hope this helps. >Actually, arming LNAV on the ground requires that the programmed course have a first leg that roughly aligns with the runway heading.Interesting to see Ryanair's process. They like to get to 3000 before the acceleration phase, I guess, while most US operators begin accelerating at 1000, which reduces the deck angle a bit and probably makes the cattle feel better.But procedures vary from operator to operator and country to country.

Guest UKPilot

Hi, Yeah it is interesting, I've flown for two operators in the UK that fly the 800 one accelerates at 1000ft and Ryanair at 3000ft. Its due to noise abatement or so I've been told, as Ryanair operate into smaller airports that are closer to residential areas.RgdsUKP

Guest markyp

Interesting?!Does anyone know what BA use or do?What do you mean by Speed Bug Up?Thanks

Guest UKPilot

Hi, Not sure how BA do it, I'll try and find out. By the speed bug to UP I mean the speed bug is positioned over the 'UP' position on the PFD (Primary Flight Display.Try it and see what you think.