Sign in to follow this  
Guest yoyomike

PMDG 747-400 - Long Range Issues

Guest yoyomike

Hi Guys,Happy New Year! I've been flying the -400 package quite lately. Good job! I've been taking it on short to medium hauls lately and last night (while waiting for the clock to strike 12) I took it on a long-haul flight from Manila to Los Angeles. As you all know, one major factor on these flights is the winds aloft which greatly reduce the total NAM flown - decreasing ETE and more importantly Fuel-Burnoff. After making all calculations for the flight and loading the fuel, the FMC still displays "insufficient fuel" because I was unable to input the winds aloft data on the LEGS page. (Winds that day were a sustained 150kt tailwind). Anyway, I loaded a bit more fuel to appease my very cranky FMC and landed with so much fuel. :)Do you guys plan to update the -400 with a functioning LEGS page? I guess about a year back it would have been impractical, but with the new WX add-ons coming in, I guess it would be nice to take full advantage of the capabilities available to us.Oh yeah, I did notice another thing, just a report to you guys about the RTE2 function:- I couldn't delete the ORIGIN on the RTE page 1 when I was programming for the destination alternate (KLAX-KONT).- I couldn't "STEP" through individual waypoints in the planning mode when RTE2 was the active flight plan.Anyway, I hope you guys sure consider this! Again, Happy new year, captains!

Guest Lobaeux4

The LEGS page doesn't function?

Guest yoyomike

The Legs page?Whoa did I post that? Haha. Sorry. The WINDS function on the LEGS page, I mean. I was hoping we could input winds aloft information for the waypoints.

Guest Lobaeux4

Haha, okay, that's not good, with this bird I'd think the winds section would be needed, eh?

Guest yoyomike

yes sir! It would be great used in conjunction with Activesky and this nifty website: http://www.ofplan.net. I use 'em for all my medium-long haul flights on PMDG.

LEGS / RTE DATA / enter wind heading / speed in scratchpad.. Upload using R1-R5 keys. As I noted in another post it will even do downstream wind mixing as prescribed in the FANS (Honeywell) guide.Hope this helps.Best,Vangelis===================================== E. M. Vaos Precision Manuals Development Group www.precisionmanuals.com=====================================

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Guest yoyomike

oh thanks! I now know why it wasn't functioning - i was inputting wind for a waypoint during climb and descent. This is great! Looking forward to my next long haul.Thanks captains!mike