Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

747-400 Sound Crackle issue - need info

Captains,Happy New Year to all!We need some info from anyone that is having the "crackling" issue with the sounds for the 747:1. Are you experiencing this, and if so, what sound card are you using?2. If you are hearing the issue, try the following:Go to Start/Run and type dxdiag and hit enterGo to the Sound tab and lower the slider for "Sound Hardware Acceleration Level" to the minimum (full left) and retest the plane to see if the problem is gone.We're trying to get a handle on which cards and onboard sound chipsets are exhibiting this problem, as it appears to be driver/acceleration related, rather than something in the actual sounds themselves.Thanks!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest lespindo

Hi Ryan and Happy New Year!!! I get the Crackling sound when at acceleration height and retracting flaps some times......I have Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800 +, Nvidia 7800 Card,Sound Blaster 24 Go Flight Rudder pedals,CH yoke,Go Flight 747 Throttle Quadrant.. Thanks For Your Help!!!!!

Guest diajohn2

I am using a Santa Cruz sound card. I recently changed motherboards and that would eliminate chip sets.I primarily get the crackling in external view at cruise.Before I changed my computer, I downloaded someone elses sounds and they did not crackle. I have also listened to the sounds and the only problem I found was the external jet1 clip. I think that is your problem.

Guest Marc Harrington

Nope, jet1 is a file that is not used. You can delete it.

Guest diajohn2

Mark,Have you listened to the Wind sound files. They are a bit scratchy, IMHO. Even turning off hardware acceleration.

I have two soundcards in my PC (sig info).Tested both as main card, also tested separately in the computer. Also both tested with acceleration slider at every position. It did not influence crackling whatsoever...Tried different drivers, have all possible latest updates. I even reinstall XP + tested, just for the sake of test (oh don't give me that look :-eek, I had a ghost backup! :-)). Same thing.It's happening mainly while in spot view, but it's also noticable in the cockpit. In the external view, very noticable when panning, no matter what I am doing (even if the HDD is obviously not loading). Just spinning around and it's very noticable. Also in VC, same as 2D.My opinion: it's not graphics, IRQ or whatever resource sharing, it's not PMDG core programming. Files are simply faulty, because simple test of taking another files from AVSIM and using LDS767 soundset removed any crackling. And also, in another file by LDS, my audio programs don't find any digital errors. And in PMDG ones, there are errors to feed the whole family of cats :-)Be well, Happy New Year and hope to see this repaired!

I'm away from my home computer at the moment, so I can't do any specific tests right now, but I have had some pretty major crackling problems on the 744. The soundcard on that machine is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz running on the latest Turtle Beach drivers. Chipset IIRC is the VIA KT333 with an Athlon XP 3000+, Radeon 9700 Pro, and 768mb of RAM.-Lee Barberhttp://home.nc.rr.com/uniuniunium/dvasig.jpg

Guest cliffie1931

Okay Ryan here goes......1. Using "Belarc Advisor" the following is what it reports about my computer under the heading "Multimedia":Creative Game PortCreative SB Live! seriesRealtek AC 97 audioUSB audio Device2. I tried the "dxdiag" idea some while back by moving the slider from Max to the medium setting.Later today I'll have the time to try it again and move it to the minimum. If it solves the problem I'll let you know.3.In my case the problem seems to arise in situations related to low speeds and the need for flaps. However this is not exclusively the case. Sometimes it happens at random.I'm not particulary computer literate but could the solution be to issue those of us having this problem with a patch to delete the new sound file and replace it with the original file used before the upgrade?Cliff

Guest Andrea

I've tried to set DXDiag and/or FS9 sound settings without any effect. Flying the Queen, the sound (expecially in spot view) crackles not continuously but fastidiously.I use the onboard sound processor of my ASUS P4P800 motherboard with last available drivers from Soundmax.Andrea

Hi,I'm experiencing sound crackle on a Fatal1ty X-Fi sound card (with latest drivers) and it seems to occur only with the PMDG747 (and I have lots of other payware and freeware add-ons). I've tried changing the sound acceleration to all levels without effect except when I turn acceleration off, the crackles become very apparent and for what it's worth, I observed (heard?) the following across all 3 soundsets:interiorconstant crackles > 215 knots. Perfect sound < 215 knots. If I play PMDG747_WIND.wav through media player I can hear the crackling noise.exteriora repeating pattern of crackles (a double crackle followed by a single) which increases in rate as I increase thrust until full thrust(when sound changes from whine to roar, if that makes any sense) when the crackles disappear.Don't know if this is of any helpregardsPaul

Paul Dumke

My sound crackling went away with a freeware set of 744 sounds. I get them only with the base 744 sounds shipped with the 744. I have an Audigy 2 card.

Eric 

Guest Robin.B

I experience the sound crackling for a brief amount of time after switching views, especially if I'm close to the aircraft in spot view. I have a Creative Audigy 2 ZS.

Guest decol

I would have to say to me,the problem sounds more like an audio "hole" as opposed to being a "pop" or "crackling". In other words it is not a separate sound itself but the lack of any sound for fraction of a second.I can get the same effect by hitting Q twice fast. Like others posts here, I get it mostly in spot view but can happen in any view or turn. Dave Collins

Guest Terblanche

I have a Creative Audigy 2 soundcard with latest drivers ... no pattern what so ever when the "crackling" will appear.Did a flight from EDDF to BIKF and had no "crackling" until

I have an onboard sound card. My Motherboard is MSI Mainboard KT3 Ultra2 Series 4xAGP is that helps.I get this sound generally as I climb through FL100 and then at any time after... even once I have decended through FL100.

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer