Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ohio330

Heavy?

Guest alexhn

In Australia the 'heavy' designator is not used at all.

Mike,This is a tad embarrasing, but I haven't looked at the .65 in quite a few years. FAA may have ammended it to include the 757. I'm getting a trainee in a few weeks, so the .65 will once again become my bible. Also, are you a controller?? Most pilots have no idea what the .65 is. I just checked my old very out dated .65 here at the house and 300K is the majic number for Heavy.Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!

It's all good Scott. We all make mistakes at some time or another.As for me being a controller, no, I wish though. At one point I was going to train to be a VATSIM controller so I started reading up on it. Ever since then, it's been bookmarked on my computer and I look through it every so often just to learn a little more. Not to mention I've been over that part of it many times discussing this very subject.Like I posted earlier, according to Boeing's website, the MTOW of both the 752 and 753 is higher then 255,000 pounds, which would make them a heavy. I've always wondered why the 757 is in it's own catagory if it would be a heavy anyways. Do you have anyone you could ask about it? I'm curious, and have never been able to receive an answer from anyone.

Hi Mike,You have me curious now. Like I said, last time I picked up the book, 300K was the floor for heavy and 757 was in a special catagory. When I get to work today, I'll check the latest .65 and look at all the GENOTS I've ignored and get back to ya. I really should spend more time in the books anyway :-)Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!

That's interesting to know...I have learnt a lot about Australian/Qantas ops in the last few days!! I didn't think I'd heard it on the Sydney ATC feed on the net for 767 or 747 flights.