Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

A litlte bit of info. on Qantas Ops (and a few questions about them...)

Hi all, from a recent 744 cockpit visit (Qantas Flight 29 SYD-HKG, VH-OJR), I got a few questions answered by a really great and friendly flight crew kind enough to allow me to visit after landing (got moved to upper deck in Business class for landing!):From what the flight crew of said, some stanard procedures:- Engines started with Packs 1 & 3 off- Take-off performed with all packs on- No engines shut down upon taxi-in- Assumed temp. derate used (I am pretty sure, although, not completely sure, that no fixed derate, like the TO1 or TO2 settings are used)- V-Speeds: V1 calculated manually from performance manual, FMC's VR and V2 speeds used- APU switched on just before engines shut down (about 30 secs before)- Pack 2 was unserviceable for this flightA bit of other probably common info. that I was given:- A lot of cargo and fuel carried on HKG-LHR routes (only 150 passengers aboard that leg, 268 between SYD and HKG)- SIN-LHR route almost always takes off very close to MTOW- Most routes to LHR carry a lot of cargoSome stuff I noticed - Logo lights left on for duration of flight (could see the reflection on horiz. stab.), unless there are other lights there I don't know about- Qantas seem to have started dimming cabin lights on take-off (aisle-lights off, and wall lights dimmed considerably)- TA/RA left on at gate (could see the traffic moving on it)Hope some of this is useful to any Qantas fans like me out there...A few lingering questions (and one i really wanted to know, that I completly forgot to ask)...- Cost index that Qantas use?? I have a feeling I have read somehwer it is 80 for the 744, but I am not very sure...- Re-release, what Qantas ops are in this regard...- Critical-point planning- Any special features of Qantas 744s- Whether they have the 'allos G/S capture before LOC' option available- When the APU is turned on before start-upHope the info. I have provides someone with a bit of useful knowledge, and hoping someone out in the foru, who knows about Qantas can answer any of my lingering questions...I fly with BA back, which will be interesting, although I must say, the both of my Qantas flights here were fantastic, very friendly crew (especially so in arranging a visit to the flight deck), comfortable and nice food...Thanks for any help and cheersRudy (usually VHOJU but have forgotten my password to it, and I can't get it at the moment)

Guest brand_da_man

Hi randy,Thanks for the Info, i was speaking the son of a 744 pilot (for Qantas) and he told me that Qantas uses a cost index of 200, seems pretty high but his dad is a Qantas 744 Captain so he should know.Brandon

Interesting QF informationDoes anyone know what flap they would use for their 744 takeoff. Of course course there are factors ie loads,winds and temperature but i was told they usually use 20.A CI of 200 seems high...I wonder if someone can check this.

Guest alexhn

Qantas CI for the 744 is 100. CI will change as per the plane. The APU is on just about all the time up until after engine start, but external power will be used for extended periods on the bay.

"- Cost index that Qantas use?? I have a feeling I have read somewhere it is 80 for the 744, but I am not very sure..."Rudy, Cost Index can be a commercially sensitive issue, so I'm surprised this information is made public (especially by Captain's sons). :("- Any special features of Qantas 744s"Not exclusive to Qantas, but most of Qantas' aircraft have Para Visual Displays mounted in the glareshields for low viz takeoffs. Note that there are lots of variations between 744's in the Qantas fleet. Qantas also have passenger versions of the 744-400ER (extended range) which has hundreds of somewhat unique features."- Whether they have the 'allos G/S capture before LOC' option available"Systems-wise, Qantas allows G/S capture before LOC capture. Procedure-wise not."- When the APU is turned on before start-up"Local airport regulations permitting, the APU is usually started by engineers well before the flight crew arrive. In hot climates, the packs have to be running a while to get the cabin down to comfortable levels. The APU can be started up to 2 hours before departure time. During transits, the APU is usually left running unless APU oil levels have to be topped up (or maintenance to be carried out)."- V-Speeds: V1 calculated manually from performance manual, FMC's VR and V2 speeds used"Qantas aircraft (as do many airline's aircraft) do not autogenerate V1. There are just too many variables where V1 is concerned. The FMC does not have a WET/DRY selection.Hope this helps.Rgds.Q.

Hi there guysThanks for all your replies, they are all very helpful!! I didn't know there were that many people that knew a bit about Qantas ops... Maybe I'm a bit of a nut...but I love to know how my favourite airline does things, just makes doing the flight on PMDG feel a bit more real.Regarding flaps...I think I read on another topic here from someone that knows that Qantas tend to use Flaps 30 for landing now moreso than Flaps 25 after the Bangkok incident.Again, thanks for sharing what you know with me and everyone else, it is great - especially the information regarding cost index and the APU.I am looking forward to my flight home back to Australia on BA - don't know what they're like at letting you visit the flight deck though, but will give it a go.Thanks again everyone, cheers,Rudy.

Guest alexhn

QF SOP for the 744 is autobrakes 3, idle reverse and flaps 30.

"Qantas aircraft (as do many airline's aircraft) do not autogenerate V1. There are just too many variables where V1 is concerned. The FMC does not have a WET/DRY selection."The PMDG 744 has a wet/drt selection. I'm confused.Paul

"The FMC does not have a WET/DRY selection."The Qantas FMC does not have a WET/DRY selection, Paul. It's an option ;)Cheers.Q>

Thank you for enlightening my darkness...nothing is standard on these planes it seems. Probably the only standard thing is 2 wings...I've come to realize that this is the cause of much trouble for developers. Many people write to say that this or that feature of the FMC or EFIS etc is not simulated. I saw a "brochure" for the 744avionics and was surprised to see the number of options available. Here are just a FEW:GPWS RA calloutsAutostartStab fuel tankAutomatic APU shutdown in case of fireAir driven DEM pumps for HYD systems 1 and 3Nose gear taxi lightsGlareshield PTT switchesVariable thrust ratings for takeoff deratesVarious AFDS options (some modes behave differently)(strobe lights are optional on the A320)Paul

Thanks for the info. on the landing SOP, Alex. I'll use that instead of my previous Flap 25 and Autobrake 2 configuration (I think that's British Airways, or it could be just "my" configruation).CheersRudy

"Automatic APU shutdown in case of fire"Interesting.. I thought they all had this. I know some have optional autoextinguishing during autoshutdown because of fire. Did you mean this?"Air driven DEM pumps for HYD systems 1 and 3"I guess you mean 2&3? This is often seen on P&W powered aircraft, probably because of the additional demand placed on the hydraulic systems (the reversers are hydraulically powered on the P&W engines)This reminds me...Many aircraft, including Qantas', have an AUX selection on the #1 Hydraulic pump.Cheers.Q>

Guest JTH

Thanks for all the info. Would anyone mind explaing exactly what cost index is? I normally just use a CI of 100, but I don't actually know what it means.Also, what do you mean when you talk about whether Quantas have the 'allow G/S capture before LOC' option available? Why would it matter if the pilot captured the glide slope before the localiser?Thanks in advance for any help clearing this up!

>"Automatic APU shutdown in case of fire">>Interesting.. I thought they all had this. I know some have>optional autoextinguishing during autoshutdown because of>fire. Did you mean this?>>"Air driven DEM pumps for HYD systems 1 and 3">>I guess you mean 2&3? This is often seen on P&W powered>aircraft, probably because of the additional demand placed on>the hydraulic systems (the reversers are hydraulically powered>on the P&W engines)>This reminds me...Many aircraft, including Qantas', have an>AUX selection on the #1 Hydraulic pump.>>Cheers.>Q>I typed it when I was 99% asleep...The actual text reads:Automatic APU Shutdown/DischargeThat suggests to me that the auto discharge comes with the shutdown, but maybe as you've suggested, the option has changed.Indeed I meant sys 2&3. Right below that is the Sys 1 AUX option.Other interesting items:3 digit Mach display for the MCPDedicated AP disconnect soundFull time FDApparantly, the customer can select a "Part time FD". The text says:FD biased out of view when AP and FD referenced to the same FCCWhat exactly does this mean? Does it mean that the FD is only in view when the C AP is engaged?