Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

A litlte bit of info. on Qantas Ops (and a few questions about them...)

"Would anyone mind explaing exactly what cost index is? I normally just use a CI of 100, but I don't actually know what it means."There are many costs involved in running an airline. Cost Index is a ratio based on "time-related" costs divided by fuel related costs.As a general rule, the slower you fly, the less fuel you use, so you save money on fuel. However, if you don't meet schedules (or airport curfews) by flying slowly or if you're paying lots of $$$ to your crew every hour, it may make more economical sense to fly faster. Airlines choose a Cost Index to save the most money. Sometimes it is a fixed value across the entire 744 fleet, say 100, or it can be changed to better suit individual routes, say 200 for Hong Kong flights. When you're flying a PC sim, it doesn't really matter what cost index you use... unless your electricity bills or on-line flying internet fees are high (then you would want to get to your destination as soon as possible). If you're in a huge hurry, dial in 999 or 9999 depending on the type of FMC you have... but make sure you load enough fuel on board to get there :)Hope this makes sense.CheersQ>

"FD biased out of view when AP and FD referenced to the same FCCWhat exactly does this mean? Does it mean that the FD is only in view when the C AP is engaged?"Sort of correct (Don't forget that the F/O will be able to see his/her FD if the Left A/P is in command also). I forget the reasoning behind having logic like this, but I recall at least one major US carrier has this option selected (or did have).The weird thing with this option is that no FD's are visible during A/Land!Cheers.Q>

After the 1999 Bangkok, i am lead to believe Qantas no longer use idle reverse. I thought in 2000 or early 2001 they were authorised to use close to full. Read it in the ATSB report.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but i remember some time ago, hearing that at least one 767 operator's SOP was to use the C AP, so that any discrepancies between the FD's would be more readily apparant. I don't see why you'd want to go ahead and remove the FD altogether though.Paul

Guest JTH

When you say they can't use idle reverse do you mean that they no longer set the throttles to idle and then apply reverse thrust?If that is the case do they now apply reverse thrust when throttle is not at idle? Thanks...

Guest alexhn

After landing, the forward thrust levers are moved to idle, then the reverse thrust levers are moved to idle detent. This is idle reverse. An interlocking mechanism will prevent the forward thrust and reverse thrust levers from being deployed at the same time. When the reverse thrust levers are moved to idle detent the bleed air will unlock and move the thrust reversers on the engine aft. Any movement of the reverse thrust levers past idle detent will result in actual reverse thrust.Hopes this helps,

"After landing, the forward thrust levers are moved to idle, then the reverse thrust levers are moved to idle detent. This is idle reverse." Alex, you're probably getting your terminology mixed up here.The flight crew move the reverse thrust levers up to the "interlock" position (approx 49 degrees reverser lever angle on the RB211) as part of their procedures. However, all the prerequisites for idle reverse are satisfied at approx 29 degrees of reverse lever movement. NB: Something to be aware of is that the LE flaps will retract at only 5 degrees of reverser lever movement.I theory, if you moved the reverse levers really slowly, you wouldn't even feel the interlock "baulk". The electromechanical lock would have released before you even reached 49 degrees of lever movement."An interlocking mechanism will prevent the forward thrust and reverse thrust levers from being deployed at the same time."There is a mechanism which prevents you from moving the forward thrust levers forward when you raise the reverser levers, but it may be best not to refer to it as an interlock mechanism (as this is what the system described above is called)."When the reverse thrust levers are moved to idle detent the bleed air will unlock and move the thrust reversers on the engine aft. Any movement of the reverse thrust levers past idle detent will result in actual reverse thrust."A little confusing.... The reverser sleeves on the engine will move at 29 degrees. If you left the reverse levers at 29 degrees, the reverser sleeves on the engine will still move all the way aft and you will get idle reverse. Idle reverse is from 29 degrees to about the interlock baulk at 49degrees.Remember that the engines are still producing quite a bit of thrust at idle, so even at 29 degrees of reverser lever movement, you are getting a slowing down effect from both the engine reverser blocker doors and from idle thrust being deflected forward. Above about 49 degrees (of lever angle), the engine spools up above idle and you get more reverse thrust. The engine will not go past idle reverse until a) the levers are moved past 49 degrees (full travel = about 90 deg):( the engine reverser sleeves are past about 60% of travel.Clear as mud, I know : )))Cheers/Q>P.S. Values quoted here are for the RB211, but CF6 values are similar.