Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Loading the Queen to find engines off/out ? Solution here...!

Since installing the Queen from CD-ROM almost 3 weeks ago, I have had a number of situations where I loaded the a/c to find engines 2,3,and/or 4 all out, with only No. 1 running. This has often occurred where I loaded the default Cessna initially when I launched FS9. But it does not always happen now since a huge FS9 crash I had using the Queen that wrecked all of my GoFlight hardware settings. Absurdly, since restoring the GF software, I find the Queen acts more normally on loading!Anyway, here is what I believe is a foolproof method to load your Queen on the ground or in the air, using standard saved MSFS files, to find that all 4 engines are working normally:Load any other 4-engine jet like the default 747-400 and alow it to settle down and then cycle methodically through all views for 15-20 seconds; or load a Boeing 707 if you wish and cycle the same way. The mere action of loading a non-PMDG 747-400 seems to "initialize" the sim correctly and prepare it to load the PMDG Queen normally thereafter. It works every time.An alternative method, but potentially riskier, is to open the sim and just load the PMDG 744 first of all. That has worked as well. But if you do that, the sim does not initialize with a default a/c and I always have felt that it is important to allow such an event.Another piece of advice: I found that I routinely got engine failure on engines No. 3 and 4 in the PMDG 747-400 directly after using the PMDG NG series. So if I want to fly the NG first, I close down FS9 totally and then restart the sim.Hope this helps somebody. We live and learn--the things we do for FS....!Jonathan

The FSUIPC.log shows FS loading the default flight even as it goes to the start menu without displaying the default flight. This is probably as you state to get initialized.Try taking a default four engine, park it somewhere, shut it down, if you use an external weather program like Active Sky set the world weather to the clear weather theme, and then save this flight with the set as default box checked. This will be the situation used for intializing FS9 when it starts.You now should be able to load the 747 from a saved flight or create a flight.I do not have the 747 but do have both 737NGs and this works for me.In my case I'm just using a GA Arrow III shut down and parked.Here is the relavent section of my FSUIPC.log showing the FS startup and then loading my selected saved flight:13479 C:Documents and SettingsRon GinsbergMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesKANE - ARROW III - SPRING - DAY.flt 13639 AIRCRAFTPiper Arrow-IIIPiper Arrow-III.air 14020 Aircraft="Piper Arrow-III panel" 18106 Module identified = "PMDGOptions.DLL" 18116 Module "PMDGOptions.DLL" access registration is okay 18116 Module identified = "simhardware.dll" 18116 Module "simhardware.dll" access registration is okay 33909 C:Documents and SettingsRon GinsbergMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesLIEO - PMDG737-700 - DAY - FALL.flt 34459 AIRCRAFTPMDG737-700B737-700.air 34900 Aircraft="Hapag Lloyd Express B737-700" 37213 Module identified = "PMDG_737NG_Main.GAU" 37213 Module "PMDG_737NG_Main.Gau" access registration is okay 37354 Module identified = "PMDG_ACS.GAU" 37354 Module "PMDG_ACS.Gau" access registration is okay 39196 Module identified = "PMDG_737NG_Overhead.GAU" 39196 Module "PMDG_737NG_Overhead.Gau" access registration is okay 41239 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded 47028 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled 99673 Traffic File #14 = "sceneryworldscenerytraffic" 1856459 C:Documents and SettingsRon GinsbergMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesLIEO - PMDG737-700 - DAY - FALL.flt

Interesting, Ron, thanks for this post.Jonathan

Guest jgreth123

I would suggest never shutting down and saving as a default flight. I would suggest never changing your default flight from the original.All of the above can hurt more than help.Variables get saved in the flight that can cause problems to some aircraft.The default flight has all variables 'blanked out' so all addons work flawlessly.When I load my PMDG 744, the engines are running. I simply go to the PMDG menu and load the Cold & Dark panel state and presto... cold & dark with no problems.I highly recommend this, as those hidden variables that you may think are harmless (or just don't know about) in saved flights can cause serious issues. A lot of the problems people have with add-on aircraft stem from modifying their default flight.I hope this helps anyone out there.

Guest matsuman

JS,You mentioned GF Software on the PMDG744...........Will the GF-MCP (Advance Auto-pilot) work on the queen?I have the toggle switch module and gear/flap system and they work great on the PMDG.thanks,Kin M.(KLAX)

This certainly might be true for some complex aircraft but MS did include this in the save menu. I have not had any problem with this yet.The default out of the box is the C172 I believe. I do not think resaving it as default cold and dark should cause a problem. Only compatable items I think common to most aircraft would be saved.In the process for loading the 737NG, many suggest loading the default Cessna flight, perhaps shutting down the engine, closing the flight and then creating a flight using the 737. All my suggestion does is do that as an automatic initialization process.If this does not work, then the default flight can be restored. Just save the flight you want under another name. A backup copy of FS9.cfg can get you back if you get into trouble.I would agree with you on one principle in that I would only use out-of-the FS box default aircraft at the default scenery location (a scenery location not modified with a scenery add-on and that has been used without incident) for setting the default flight. This should avoid the complex variables getting in the way.

Guest jgreth123

Even a cold & dark can cause problems in some aircraft. Not the PMDG maybe because they do have switches for all the systems. There are many panels out there that do not, such as an avionics switch or a master battery switch, etc...I'm not saying DON'T do it, but be careful because it CAN cause problems down the road.I'll stick to my default flight, 100% unmodified ( except I did manually edit the FLT file to change the default comm1 freq to 122.80 ;) )

I've never had trouble starting the 747 from "Create a Flight" as the first aircraft loaded. The panel takes care of all the usual reasons that developers tell you to load the Cessna first (avionics switch, battery, etc) by itself behind the scenes as the panel first loads - there's no need to load the default first.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest jgreth123

>I've never had trouble starting the 747 from "Create a>Flight" as the first aircraft loaded. The panel takes care of>all the usual reasons that developers tell you to load the>Cessna first (avionics switch, battery, etc) by itself behind>the scenes as the panel first loads - there's no need to load>the default first.Yeah definately, but that all depends on the default flight, as the "Create a Flight" window uses the default FLT file, whatever that may be for each person. I have never changed mine except for the manual editing of the file to change comm1 freq, so mine still uses Flight Simulator 9FlightsOtherdefault.FLT. For someone that has changed theirs to say a Level-D or another addon, it could potentially mess up the PMDG. The same goes for saving the PMDG and loading other planes, and even default planes ( when you shut them down completely and save hte flight ) with some payware / freeware panels that don't have EVERYTHING modelled in the cockpit.Anyhow, this is just a huge troubleshooting tool... if you ever have an issue, reload the default.FLT file from the "Select a Flight" window to clear all variables, then you can load whatever from there.

Kin:Hi, mate. Finally got the Queen, yeah! She's a trip, wow. I love the autothrottle in particular, it works so well. And the turns are just beautiful.Well, the GF-MCP does not work with the Queen--yet. I am not sure if I want to mess with keystrokes because I did try it with the PMDG NG series and it kinda worked, but it was kinky/glitchy; and the LED displays did NOT react properly either. There are still issues with PMDG birds and the GF-MCP. In contrast, the GF-MCP does seem to work somewhat better with the LDS 767-300 and GF has developed software or coding for such a thing.This business of getting hardware to work with complex add-ons is an endless headache for amateurs like me. It's a lot easier of course for PC geniuses who use networks, wideview, special programmable keyboards, and all kinds of stuff I don't even want to know about!How are ya?Jonathan

Ryan:I think that loading the 744 from the start might be the best way to go. I am surprised that it actually works as well as anything. I've always loaded the default flight all these years but perhaps it's really not necessary to do so.I do find that a separate set of issues can be created by crashing the 744 (I mean crash as in having an accident) since the re-set can sometimes be corrupted in Fs9. I have had such an issue with the NG series always and it's the same on both of my FS PCs even though they are quite different. Jonathan

Guest matsuman

JS,Doing great here,I see you finally got your PMDG744 up and running.What an amazing sim, especially the FMC programing for an accurate LNAV/VNAV functions and auto-land. I just hope that we can use the GF-MCP on this baby, just like what the LVLD767 did with their product.Looking forward on their upcoming 744F, especially the bonus ABL 744 for the Air Force.Anyway, enjoy and if you need some ready flightplans...you let me know. later dude....Kin M.(KLAX)

Kin:Thanks for your post. Appreciate your offer. So far, so good. Autoland rocks! Let's stay in touch.Cheers!JS