Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

Can FMC altitude changes be entered only once?

Guest cliffie1931

On the LEGS page the Flight Plan shows a cruising altitude of 29,000 ft.While ascending towards that height a message is received on the FMC that the maximum altitude should be 24,000 ft.I normally then input the new Flight Level at each waypoint. On a long flight with numerous waypoints this can take some considerable time.Is there a way of entering the 24,000 ft just once of some other page?Cliff

I'm not sure if your method is incorrect per say, but it isn't the normal method. The Crz alt can be changed by 6 methods.1. Entering the new alt on the VNV CRZ page2. Once level in crz, change the MCP alt and PUSH the ALT knob3. During the climb, INCREASE the MCP alt, and PUSH the ALT knob4. Enter a new alt in the VNAV CLB page during the climb5. Enter a new alt on the PERF page (IINT REF->INDEX->PERF)6. On the LEGS page, at the waypoint where you want to change the crz alt, enter a step for the alt restriction. For example, in the example u gave, u can just enter 240SHope I've helpedPaul

Guest cliffie1931

Thanks for those tips Paul.I've just tried them and, of course, they work just fine.Regards,Cliff

I normally then input the new Flight Level at each waypoint. The great thing about the FMC is that it will recalculate the altitudes for your rte all by it self. In that situation (Still climbing towards crz alt and NOT at crz) you would simply dial in FL240 on the MCP and push the ALT KNOB which will automatically change your crz altitude to FL240. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

2. Once level in crz, change the MCP alt and PUSH the ALT knob If you do that at your crz alt you will cause an early descent. One cannot lower one's crz alt with ALT INTERVENTION. Once at crz level, and you desire to lower your crz alt you simply redial the MCP altitude to a lower alt (this shows on the crz page's S/P) line select into the crz line and hit execu. This will perform a CRZ DEScent.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest cliffie1931

That's clear and easy to follow Randy and it works.However, although we stop at the new lower altitude as required, the part that I don't understand is why the LEGS page continues to show the original higher altitude.Or is it because those figures are now irrelevant?Cliff

>>2. Once level in crz, change the MCP alt and PUSH the ALT>knob>> If you do that at your crz alt you will cause an early>descent. One cannot lower one's crz alt with ALT>INTERVENTION.>> Once at crz level, and you desire to lower your crz alt you>simply redial the MCP altitude to a lower alt (this shows on>the crz page's S/P) line select into the crz line and hit>execu. This will perform a CRZ DEScent.Not exactly correct dude - the early descent is only triggered if you're within 50nm of T/D. If you're just in normal cruise phase at greater than 50nm from T/D and you want to do a cruise climb or descent, all you have to do is dial the MCP alt and press the knob and it'll do it...Autopilot Flight Director manual pg 15...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest tmetzinger

Normally, you only hard code altitudes on the LEGS page for specific crossing restrictions, like you might encounter on the departure or arrival.Cruise altitudes are not coded into the LEGS page, they're set on the PERF INIT or CRZ pages (and they will then show up on the LEGS page but in the smaller non-bolded numbers).

Guest cliffie1931

Hah! Understanding dawns.Thanks Timothy.........the more I learn, the more sense everything begins to make.Cliff

>>>>2. Once level in crz, change the MCP alt and PUSH the ALT>>knob>>>> If you do that at your crz alt you will cause an early>>descent. One cannot lower one's crz alt with ALT>>INTERVENTION.>>>> Once at crz level, and you desire to lower your crz alt you>>simply redial the MCP altitude to a lower alt (this shows on>>the crz page's S/P) line select into the crz line and hit>>execu. This will perform a CRZ DEScent.>>Not exactly correct dude - the early descent is only triggered>if you're within 50nm of T/D. If you're just in normal cruise>phase at greater than 50nm from T/D and you want to do a>cruise climb or descent, all you have to do is dial the MCP>alt and press the knob and it'll do it...>>Autopilot Flight Director manual pg 15... Well "Dude" :( that depends upon what aircraft we are talking about here? I am talking about the NG, just assumed he was too (My bad if wrong). For the 744 yes that would be correct but not for the NG..http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/138073.jpg[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

>That's clear and easy to follow Randy and it works.>>However, although we stop at the new lower altitude as>required, the part that I don't understand is why the LEGS>page continues to show the original higher altitude.>>Or is it because those figures are now irrelevant?>>CliffI think that is the FMC step climb calculation. It automatically assumes u will want to step climb to get to ur opt alt. To fix this problem, go to the VNAV CRZ ppage and enter "0" in the STEP SIZE field instead of ICAO. This is important, ait affects the fuel calculations.Paul

>>>>>>2. Once level in crz, change the MCP alt and PUSH the>ALT>>>knob>>>>>> If you do that at your crz alt you will cause an early>>>descent. One cannot lower one's crz alt with ALT>>>INTERVENTION.>>>>>> Once at crz level, and you desire to lower your crz alt>you>>>simply redial the MCP altitude to a lower alt (this shows>on>>>the crz page's S/P) line select into the crz line and hit>>>execu. This will perform a CRZ DEScent.>>>>Not exactly correct dude - the early descent is only>triggered>>if you're within 50nm of T/D. If you're just in normal>cruise>>phase at greater than 50nm from T/D and you want to do a>>cruise climb or descent, all you have to do is dial the MCP>>alt and press the knob and it'll do it...>>>>Autopilot Flight Director manual pg 15...>> Well "Dude" :( that depends upon what aircraft we are talking>about here? I am talking about the NG, just assumed he was too>(My bad if wrong).>>> For the 744 yes that would be correct but not for the NG..>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/138073.jpg>>>>[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]>AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN>3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN>MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|>hmmmI assumed he was talking about the 744. I always wonder why PMDG doesn't have separate forumsPaulPS. I've been trying to get my hands on a 737NG AOM. Would u be willing to share it with me?

Guest cliffie1931

I should have been more specific......sure, I was referring to "The Queen"Cliff