Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stanner1953

FSX (ten) and PMDG

Guest Stanner1953

We have read the announcement from Microsoft that FS Ten is to scheduled for release near the end of 2006. It is recommended that the new Windows operating system (Vista) schedule for release at the end of 2006 be used.PMDG aircraft are very sophisticated and have complex codes. My question is whether PMDG will be able to make these aircraft compatible with the new FS Ten.In its review AVSIM stated, in essence, that most likely the more complex the aircraft the lower the probability they would be compatible, however, only time will tell.I hate to purchase the PMDG 747-400 this late in the game, and then find that it has problems running on FSX. I have the same concern about some Aerosoft airport scenery I was going to purchase.Any advise would be welcomedStanner

Guest Midnight LS1

>I hate to purchase the PMDG 747-400 this late in the game, and>then find that it has problems running on FSX. I have the>same concern about some Aerosoft airport scenery I was going>to purchase.I am concerned about the same thing. For one I will upgrade to Windows Vista if it's proven to be better than Windows XP and all the problems are sorted out for good. Otherwise I will stick with windows XP on my FS9 only custom machine.I have the Aerosoft Scenery Manhattan and I love it.However M$ would be stupid if they didn't allow the aircrafts and scenery be compatiable between FS9 and FSX. Alot of simmers will be upset about this if it comes to that. I don't think M$ would attempt to pull that but only time will tell.Just look at CFS3, M$ did screw it up because of that and I think they do not want a repeat.

There is absolutely no way this question can be answered until we have the FSX code and understand what has changed. I'm sure the team will make every effort to make sure the products work in FSX if it's feasible within the new sim framework.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Stanner-I think you are misunderstanding AVSim's comments.It has been my experience that every time we get an upgrade to MSFS, the VAST majority of aircraft addons fall off the compatibility curve briefly. Then a series of updates get released by the associated developers and all returns to normal.You will read a significant amount of bovine scatology related to FSX and whether various addons will/will not be compatible. I'd suggest to everyone that you look at the historical curve- and recognize that a company like ours has a vested interest to ensure that you can continue to enjoy our products. It wouldn't make much sense for us to do otherwise. ;-)I'm not in a position where I am authorized to tell you more.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Quote from MS FSX announcement Q&A:"Backward compatibly with existing 3rd party content is and has always been a priority for us, and we attempt to test as many add-ons as possible in order to provide the greatest level of compatibility"As both sides seem to be working towards this goal, i'm confident that they'll find a way.Best RegardsThomasELLX

Your post implies that it is in our best interests to get FSX the day it is released. Now that is fine and I respect those who feel that way, but I suggest you take a moment to consider what aspect of your FS environment really 'turns you on'.Which would you rather have:1. A marginally more flashy sim engine with 20 or so default aircraft and stock scenery areas that aren't really accurate or inspiring at all,or2. The very adequate EXISTING sim engine and all your favourite addons running?I personally avoid (most of) the default aircraft like the plague, and without the top-shelf add-ons my simming experience would be pretty sub-standard.I look at it this way, IF FSX initially doesn't support FS9 add-ons, then WAIT until such a time that the 3rd party developers start to update their products to run with FSX. Then dive in! I know that's what I'll be doing. :-)Mark

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest cliffie1931

Stanner in my opinion you would be missing out on a great deal of pleasure should you decide to forgo buying the "The Queen".Even if the current model cannot be made compatible with the new FSX you'd still have many months of fascinating flying ahead of you.Take the worst case scenarion of compatability being impractical..........what would you have lost? The price of a good meal for two? Balance that against learning to fly the most sophisticated, cutting edge simulation aircraft on the PC market.Take my advice. The sooner you start flying this bird, the better.Cliff (In spain)

I really dont see the point in debating this because we or PMDG know nothing about the code for FSX. As Mr Randazzo stated in historical terms most payware aircraft developers have issued updates and fixes that allow the product to be enjoyed on a new version of FS. I expect nearing the release of FSX we will have a better understanding of compatability issues with the Queen and also PMDGs other products.Like Cliff said id recommend purchasing the Queen now, having purchased the aircraft on its release im still finding new features ive never used or even knew about! I think the new version of FSX will be amazing and i plan on flying PMDGs products in FSX.

Hi,It seems to me that it's in everyones interest to have backward compatability.It also seems that MS are working hard on that front. Another observation I have regards this sentence- "I'm not in a position where I am authorized to tell you more.".This implies to me that MS and certain developers are working together on this issue, and that's great news for everyone.I'll be first in line for FSX.Paul

Its been sometime since the last reply and things have moved on and some information has been forthcoming about FSX. The question is Will the current 737 family be compatible with FSX, or will it be upgraded free as is, Or will we have to pay for the upgrade to get the compatibility anyway.

Paul EGLD

Guest 102301636

PMDG have been kind enough to let us know about future projects in the pipeline...among these is an expected update to the 744 which is at an additional cost I believe...it is in their best interest to be prudent and release this to patch the 744 for FSX as I am sure that the product will still be in as much great demand then as it is now...the product won't even be a year and a half old so I am sure there is nothing to worry about on that front....with regards the 737 family that product is now beginning to show its age (even though I still love it)...again we have been informed that PMDG will be developing a new 737 package (most likely with the entire NG family 600-900), this is an entirely new package bringing the 737 up to the standard (and possibly beyond) of the 744...it is not a patch or upgrade and we have been led to believe that it is a totally seperate product for purchase...I hope I am correct in what I am saying, and I hope it clears up some issues...As a side note, initially I hadn't intended on buying FSX given I bought a high end spec machine late last year but if PMDG deliver on all they promise (as they have done so in the past) then they will be the defining factor for me purchasing a new PC next year and FSX....until then we just have to salivate at the potential of where simming could be a year from now...:)

Guest SIX

My philosophy on this is very very different than almost any software I have ever owned. Usually, I want the latest and greatest - period. But, my FS9 install is 55GB. I have a very complex installation. When FS9 came out, my FS2k2 folder was about 35GB. I didn't immediatly move to 9. I saw all the screenshots of 9 and heard all the advances in the engine and simulated ATC, but look, my traffic bgl took me 8 months to build and was a whopping 65mb or so. I liked what I saw in fs9, but my Phoenix 744 and Phoenix 772 ran perfectly find on fs2k2 (they were originally both built for FS2000). My PMDG 737 ran fine as well. All of my sceneries ran perfect (mostly FlyTampa and SimFlyers at the time). All of my FSGenesis mesh, pages and pages of four to the page disk holders, worked fine with FS2k2. I stayed with FS2k2 until PMDG came out with the 744. That made me switch and I haven't been back. I kept the installation the first three or four months, but never ever even used it again. Simply put, stay with what you have that works until it is EXPEDIANT to upgrade. Me personally, I am staying with FS9 until a couple things happen: 1) All of the PMDG stuff is patched or moved over however you like to look at it. 2) All of my sceneries that matter (Aerosoft EDDF, LFPG, and the up and coming Aerosoft EGLL, UK2000 LHR PRO [less important with the Aerosoft LHR out] 3) FS Genesis has new installers and Ultimate Terrain and Ground Environment is patched 4)Finaly, hardware - I want them on DX 10 before I move over. And that means a patch from M$ and a new system on my end. After all that being said, I think it will take a year for me to move over.IMHO :)Wilson HinesMy Blog: http://www.wilsonhines.com --------------------------------------http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/837438/3074.png

Hi,>I'm not in a position where I am authorized to tell you more.But you have to admit, this really sounds like you know already more :-)And yes, i don't ask you no questions because i know you won't be able to answer them because you're simply not allowed to do so, right?regardsjanosch

Guest pallehj

GentlemenI wouldn't worry regarding the compatability issue, as with everything in aviation, you have to be, just a little bit, patient, after all, the value for money you get with these products are great.Happy landingsPalle