Sign in to follow this  
Guest tomahawk_pa38

Choosing an Arrival

Guest tomahawk_pa38

I set up my FMC to fly YSSY (Sydney) - NZCH (Christchurch). The only choice of arrivals on the Dep/Arr page for NZCH was DME, VOR or visual - no ILS for runway 02 or 20.yet when I called up the Approach Page as I neared my destination, the ILS details including the frequency for runway 02 was listed. So I tuned the radios and duly made an ILS approach and landing. my question is, why wasn't the ILS approach listed on the Dep/Arr page ?

Guest tmetzinger

>I set up my FMC to fly YSSY (Sydney) - NZCH (Christchurch). >The only choice of arrivals on the Dep/Arr page for NZCH was>DME, VOR or visual - no ILS for runway 02 or 20.>>yet when I called up the Approach Page as I neared my>destination, the ILS details including the frequency for>runway 02 was listed. So I tuned the radios and duly made an>ILS approach and landing. my question is, why wasn't the ILS>approach listed on the Dep/Arr page ?There are two sets of data used by the FMCThe NAVDATA contains airports, runways, and ILS' associated with Runways - that feeds the INIT REF page.The SID/STARS file contains the instrument approach procedures and feeds the DEP/ARR pages.Sounds like either there isn't a SID/STAR file for NZCH or if there is the ILS isn't included.latest navdata at www.navdata.atlatest sid/stars at planepath.com

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Thanks Timothy,That explains it then as no SID/STARS were shown for NZCH.

Guest D17S

Question . . . Navdata has a set of SID/STARs for the PMDG set too. Is PlanePath a more updated set? I was using the Navdata set and tried to divert to CDG/LFPG and not an ILS approach was to be found in my PMDG/FMCs data base. Bet they have at least one!Thanks,

Guest tmetzinger

I've always gotten my SID/STARS from Terry Yingling at planepath. They're based on the DAFIF data and at least for the USA have nearly every airport long enough to take a 747. Also a good tutorial on how to make your own files.If anyone is interested, I keep several airports up-to-date since I fly there often. You can always find current SID/STAR files for the following airports at my website:KASEKDCAKEGEKEWRKSFOKSUNhttp://www.metzair.com/FlightSim/flightsim.htmlBest wishes

Guest D17S

And speaking of choosing an arrival, here's one: I saw that tutorial. Looked interesting. I was playing with the old Hong Kong VHHX approach. For those that might not know about this, it's the old, fabled, Hong Kong airport that was closed in ~ 1998. Essentially, the approach is to fly an ILS approach into a mountain side (actually it's 'checkerboard ridge'). In this case, the ILS was actually the runway's base leg. At 1.8 DME from the mountain side 'threshold,' you cranked a hard, ~ 70 degree right turn. After you turn, you then have a whole 1000 feet to get lined for the actual runway's threshold. I found several videos that showed the challenge pilots had getting onto final. It seemed to me they were hand flying that final turn from the base leg

Hi Dave,I live in Australia and frequently fly the Australia-Pacific routes. For my addon aircraft I have mostly got my SID/STAR database updates from the folks at http://www.austscene.com/.They seem to always be up to date with all the approach changes made by Airservices Australia and their New Zealand counterpart.I've constantly updated my Level D SID/STAR's through that site, I'd imagine their PMDG database is just as good.If you are having trouble it might be worth a look.Jeremy

Guest Darren Howie

Well i have just got back from 10 days flying out of NZCH so have some idea what happens.At around 150nm CH you will be cleared to either a point just north of woodend or a point just south of burnum.From there you will be either vectored or left to your own tracking to make it onto the ILS.There are no STARS for CH.Great place by the way if you are going there for a holiday.Cool scenery as well.Darren

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Darren,Just got back after 3 weeks in Christchurch (relatives live in Cust). Flew Emirates so had a great view of take offs and landings through the forward looking camera on the seat-back display. We hit the west coast somewhere near greymouth and tracked over Arthur's Pass. Not quite sure where we were after that due to cloud until on finals for runway 02. You say this would normally be via Burnham ?Flew the Boeing 767 sim in Christchurch town centre - not a full motion one but impressive nevertheless and fairly cheap in UK terms (

Guest Darren Howie

Sounds like a cool trip Dave.Where was the sim in CH??SOunds interesting.Darren

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Darren,Yep - it was a good trip thanks. The sim is at Flight Experience - an industrial unit Coventry Street - down by the big flyover at the end of Manchester Street.