Sign in to follow this  
McDaniel

Somehow my post got lost: FS9 searching for PMDG registry....

Good eveningsomehow my post is gone, i got an answer from someone and now i cant find the post anymore, anyway here is the story again:I used a prog called regmon, which is to see wath happens with the registry, and i found following thing:See the pic for info:http://users.quick-line.ch/mcdanielson/PMDGRegi.JPGthis is with version 1.10 installed (Queen)Thanks for help in advance!RegardsDaniel Niederer

Why don't you restate your question? What precisely are you trying to figure out?Tom

sorry forgot to mention the important part :-)If you take a look at the picture, you can see that FS9.EXE is looking for a PMDG registry and cant find it, and FS9.exe does this all the time, endless, if you using FS9 it looks for this registry.Maybe there is a simple way to get rid of this process, i already unistalled and reinstalled but it does not change.RegardsDaniel

Does this happen only when you load up 747 or does this happen as long as you start the sim?Thanks,Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Hi Jasonas long i start FS9, strange ey?!?You have wrote a reply in my old thread, dont you?RegardsDaniel

I did. Because first I am interested in this topic, and secondly I found out that the 737 does something like that as well. So as long as you have the 747 installed, your sim does this as long as it's running...that's worse than I thought.Jason

Jason

I find myself wondering why the original thread on this problem disappeared. I posted to it last night.Basically, a PMDG module is hitting the registry repeatedly looking for the nonexistent 1.00.16 key as per the screenshot above. This is happening all the time in FS9, regardless of which aircraft is loaded at the time. As an experiment, I created the key it was looking for, and then it started searching for a similar key, related to national language support.A word from PMDG support would be appreciated about now.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Actually I was thinking that as a posible solution to try. Bob what if you now create the second key it looks for? Do you think it'll start looking for a third? And do you have any thought on the 737VC keeps opening and closing two font files non-stop? I saw that happening using Filemon.Thanks,Jason

Jason

Gents-Ooops. Just got my hand slapped for giving you bogus information- so here's the edited fix. ;-)This is nothing to worry about- it's something triggered by FS9 that is looking for a registry key that doesn't/hasn't ever existed.There is no performance impact related to it....I wouldn't worry about it too much....That being said- are we taking wagers on what type of panic this creates for users who do not understand what they are reading in this thread?You can see the general lack of informed knowledge by reading the main forum thread on it.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest tmetzinger

Has anyone tried creating that key in the registry and see what happens?-EDIT- Duh... went up and read earlier in the thread. This has got to be caused by the various DLLs that load with the PMDG package.I'd still like to know what happened if all the "searched for" keys were created. Would my frame rates double? Would Jimmy Hoffa be found? Would the President stop monitoring my communications?Come on, conspiracy theorists! Unlocking the "Secret PMDG registry" will lead you to hidden icons in artwork, which will then lead you to a hidden map buried in the tile of the Kansas City International Airport terminals, which will (finally) point you to the fountain of youth, so you can live long enough to enjoy FSXXI and the PMDG interstellar cruiser (with time/space logic programmed by Lefteris' great-great-great-grandson) in the year 2525.Best wishes

Gents-I took a few minutes to run through and see what triggers this process. The registry is a haven of procedures and accesses into the registy are what allows software to run in windows. We have a number of processes communicating across varied pieces of the airplane- and some require version checks to the registry.This one is just a version check. It's one of a number of ways that our software ensures that the versions are compatible and that the software is licensed etc etc etc....For those who care- here's some additional thoughts:-> For the inquisitive: This particular version check comes from Lefteris' area of code. He's travelling at the moment, so I hope i'm not speaking out-of-school, but this particular check appears to be to be a leftover version check from an earlier version's check between two dlls inside the airplane to ensure they are compatible with one another. (V1.00.16 is the release version... We've been through a number of version updates since then...) I ran assesment on it tonight- and while version checks can serve a number of purposes (some I'm not going to tell you about, obviously) this particular one is harmless- but it's Lefteris' code area- so I'll ask him to verify my conclusion when he returns.-> For the truly paranoid: Wow... Some of the stuff I've read from some folks on this topic really makes me wonder. It must be hard to get through life unmedicated when you truly believe there are demons lurking in every corner. As for PMDG, if we had a process that was going to watch you, monitor your movements, track your household and control your pets- a) you would have to agree to it being installed at the time you accepted the EULA, :( we wouldn't leave it open and running so that a penny-stock program like RegMon could see it.... Seriously- lets use our heads.-> For the Self-Centered/Paranoid: None of us really care to watch you, monitor your movements, track your household or control your pets. (I have enough trouble monitoring my own movements, tracking my own household and controlling my own pets, thank you!) We have some very nice proprietary anti-theft devices in place- and yes- these devices do help us to track down versions that are run after the security process is bypassed. Yes- we do persue folks in court- and yes we are in the process of sueing a number of individuals who were dumb enough to think that the "crack" they downloaded from the internet gave them something for nothing. It is our goal to bring significant discomfort to those who steal from us- and yes we are going about it in truly draconian ways. Those of you who are running licensed version haven't a thing to worry about. Those who steal....well.... Darwin was on to something...-> For the demanding: No- I'm not going to dissect the entire program and tell you everything that it does- doesn't do or might possibly do. Welcome to modern software....

Robert; Thank you for taking the time to provide an explanation beyond "you need not worry about it." I'm still puzzled why version checks for the PMDG are being done when I have the default C172 loaded...or any other plane for that matter. That steady stream of hits is occurring any time fs9 is running. This is more than likely being caused by PMDGOptions.dll in the modules folder. That penny-stock regmon utility and others like it have enabled me to identify a number of errant processes...several in commercial code or even in fs9 itself. When I see unexplained behavior, I'd like to know why...what impact it's having, etc. In this case, what keeps PMDGOptions.dll, with these recurrent registry accesses, from impacting performance? Surely it's causing all or part of the (huge) registry to be accessed, held in cache etc. Granted that it's not likely causing any major issues, but the combination of lots of Lilliputian impacts eventually adds up. Seems that an option to not load PMDGOptions when one of your add-ons isn't running would answer all the mail.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks for answering, i think its better then just deleting unconvenient posts or questions ;-)BTW:in no way, i have accused PMDG or anyone of sniffing around in my system! I am really dont understand the statement about "paranoid blablabla...."! It was just a simple question from my side.RegardsDaniel

Daniel-The paranoid comments poke a bit of fun at some of the things that are being discussed in the "other" forum as a result of your post.And the post wasn't "inconvenient." We do not discuss some items. Period. In this case- read some of the odd-ball threads taking place as a result of your post- and you'll see why a "little bit of knowledge with a large mix of paranoia is a dangerous thing."Although- according to some- PMDG is the root cause of all evil in the universe and we are secretly plotting to install mind-control software in the chips that your dentist places in your tooth.(Ever wonder why they call it BlueTooth? Now you know. We invented that too....LOL);-)

Bluetooth, now that was just funny, Robert. :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply