Sign in to follow this  
Guest sb55mv

Mip Mapping Question

Guest sb55mv

Hi Gang.I have noticed that a lot of the livery's are not Mipped, is there any particular reason for this.I don't want to get shouted at or anything, I was just curious,this seems to be a very touchy subject, some say it's better, some say it causes blurriness etc.and yet, ALL the MS FS aircraft are Mip Mapped, have a look using the MS tool from the MS FS site, you will see for yourself, every single plane is Mipped.thanks for any info,PS, if we don't Mip the A/C, isn't our graphics card not constantly trying to Mip them, as we have the Mips enabled on our graphic card settings anyway !(Moderator Edit: Title. Please avoid Attention grabbers)

ive noticed a lot of my favourite liveries like the Cathay Pacific and the Northwest old colours are blurry when i pan around on the outside view. i only fly the liveries that have no blurriness. yeah its a bit stupid but id love all the liveries to have the same graphics like the PMDG house livery. :)

Guest sb55mv

Hi Guy's.oops, I forgot about the fact that some may not have a similar rig, or have their mip map settings that high.I must admit, everything on mine is at full settings on the graphics card, and in-sim, except the antialiasing option, silly but, the ATI card will do a much better job of that than a two year old application.

Guest tomahawk_pa38

A number of questions which has been baffling me:-Can someone explain what the Mip mapping and anti-aliasing sliders do please ? What's the best setting for them. Does this depend on the graphics card - I have a Geforce 5600 256mb graphics card. Should thse settings be enabled in the FS menu or through the Control Panel/Display Settings Optionswhat happens if these aren't set the same - does one override the other?many thanks in advance of I'm sure some very useful replies.

Guest sb55mv

>A number of questions which has been baffling me:->>Can someone explain what the Mip mapping and anti-aliasing>sliders do please ? What's the best setting for them. >Does this depend on the graphics card - I have a Geforce 5600>256mb graphics card. >Should thse settings be enabled in the FS menu or through the>Control Panel/Display Settings Options>what happens if these aren't set the same - does one override>the other?>>many thanks in advance of I'm sure some very useful replies.Hi Dave,I will try, but, I have not had an Nvidia card for a few years now, so be careful about what you adjust, a good idea is to make a "pen and paper" note of what the settings are Before you adjust anything, that being said. without going into too much technical detail because I don't know all the details, I will try and give you a few ideas with what I know, and take them setting by setting, try them and see for yourself how you're sim looks before and after, thats the only way really as every system is different, and, what works for one may not work for another, so,Mip Mapping, A MIP map (sometimes spelt mipmap) is a computer graphics technique used to achieve an illusion of depth in a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional 3D image. Used in conjunction with texture mapping, MIP mapping features multiple images of a single texture map at different resolutions to represent surface textures at varying distances from the viewer's perspective: the largest scaled image is placed in the foreground and progressively smaller ones recede toward the background area. Each scale difference is defined as a MIP map level. MIP mapping helps avoid unwanted jagged edges (called jaggies) in an image that can result from using bit map images at different resolutionsAnisotropic Filtering, In 3D computer graphics, anisotropic filtering (AF) is a method of enhancing the image quality of textures on surfaces that are far away and steeply angled with respect to the camera. Like bilinear and Trilinear filtering it eliminates aliasing effects, but introduces less blur in the process and thus preserves more detail.Anti-Aliasing, Anti aliasing is a technique used to diminish the jagged edges of an image so that the image appears to have smoother lines, and Enhances 3D image quality and giving a smoother feel to the look of a game or application,for example, I started this thread to ask why people do not mip map their aircraft textures, so varied responses, of which one thing has just come to mind, some may say that they don't have it enabled on their aircraft textures because they might have the setting turned down on their cards, and yet, MS FS has the whole aircraft collection in FS9 Mip Mapped, so, weather you like It not, they are mipped, so, why not mip map you're other add-on aircraft as well, I have all of my sliders set to the max because I am fortunate enough to have a system that can run everything that way, some don't, but, never the less, the aircraft in FS are still mipped.secondly, whatever you do, turn OFF the anti aliasing in the FS9 display settings, you're graphics card will do a much better job of that with the new technology of today than FS9 will.but make sure you have Tri Linear selected,I hope this helps in some small way, there will be other people who can give you a much better explanation of what the various settings do, But, as I said before, make a "pen and paper" note of the settings of you're graphics card, then just try them and see what works best for you. to save time, set them all to the highest setting, then if you get very bad performance in FS9, just adjust them one at a time back down to the left and see what it looks like after that.

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Steve,Thanks for your reply - very comprehensive and I'll have a look at my settings. I have a gig of RAM and 256mb graphics card, so i'll crank it all up to max and see what happens. Thansk for the tip with turning off the settings inn FS9 - i'll check that.