Sign in to follow this  
Guest bassie

Speed it up 747-400

Guest bassie

Hi flight simmers,1 question,For long distend flight wiht airplane(pmdg 747-400)in Fs 2004,I need to speed up the flightsim to save time.When try to speed the game up >4x, auto throttle disconnect after a few minutes. Even when I try manually to gain speed, the plane (pmdg 747)lose its speed and I have to slow down the game down to 2x to recover speed with manual speed settings or the auto throttle to try getting the plane on the speed in want.Is it possible to speed up the game with no problems flying the 747-400 pmdg ?Gr. Bassie & Adriaan

Guest neilb

There is no problems with speeding the 747 up. I've done it on x4 and x8 successfully.The problem comes with weather most of the time, the FS weather engine will shift dramatically from one extreme to the other (by default), and those sudden movements turn the AP off. If you have FSUIPC look at the wind smoothing options.Hope this helps.

Guest cliffie1931

What you say is very interesting Neil.Could you tell us what your wind smoothing settings are please?Cliff (In Spain)

Guest benhoffman

I tried it once and it worked fine. If you increase the speed of FS, you also increase the rate at which the math/logic/systems must work which cause problems.And besides, there is no better feeling than knowing you arrived round the other side of the world 15-16hrs later at 1x safe and secure!

Guest Jock in a Frock

I have seen the same phenomenon with time acceleration, but I don't think it's a bug in the 747, I think it's down to the FS9 engine and the way it handles the flight dynamics.Try setting up a straight & level autopilot flight in any plane in FS9 and then turn time acceleration up. Eventually you will find the plane porpoising as it tries to maintain the autopilot commanded altitude. I think the problem is that the flight dynamic engine is only getting snapshots of the variables required to compute pitch, altitude, position etc. This leads to errors which get exaggerated between updates because the flight engine can't correct for them in time.In the 747 I think there is so much more computation required that the fuel flow to the engines, the FMC data, the AFDS inputs, and the electrical system are all suffering from a similar effect, i.e. there is not enough time to calculate all the required responses to this data that eventually the engines die.Yesterday I flew from LHR to JFK and while cruising around FL380 I used time acceleration and while it was okay at 4x, at 8x and above it was not reliable. At 16x I was seeing the engines die and restart (I have autostart enabled) regularly. This leads to a loss of thrust and eventually a loss of altitude.I would be interested to know it this problem is CPU dependant. I have a new machine with an Athlon 64 3700+ , Radeon X800 GPU, and 1Gb RAM. This machine still suffers from problems when using time acceleration, and this is what leads me to conclude that it's a limitation of the FS9 flight dynamics engine.Correct me if I'm wrong.Andy Scholes