Sign in to follow this  

Round the World Challenge - Part Three

Say, that is not too shabby. A Seaplane meeting. Anyone got the Clipper, the Boeing? I have the HU-16, but do not know the range. It is awful slow though. I had it planned to go with the Cessna 41C from the Afrian coast to an Island just off Brazil. Would have worked to but with a small, small amount of fuel reaining. I'll see if I can find a good seaplane just in case.

Okay...Flew from HSSS - Khartoum to OERK - Riyadh @ FL250 running on average around 394 kts TAS.Used the Piaggo P-180... kewl fast little bugger.The baton's up for grabs.Hawkeyez

I have the Baton. Stand by for Pirip. Off now.

Hey Paul...Were you flying Black Ops for some secret organization...?? ;) cause it looks like you came in to land without any lights turned on. Or were you trying to "sneak" into the airport .I managed to put together some files of a Saab 340 and I found a panel + sounds too. After I try 'em out I'll fire the plane over to you if ya want.Hawkeyez :-kewl

Edited out - I moved the info on Hawkeyez destination to a location post, but by the time I had it posted, the baton was in motion again, invalidating my post. :)--Tony

Scabbo... (remember I'm dumb)How do you post a location post like you did...? I'm missing something here.As well, can you recommend a good free nav aid tool for flight planning?Thanx a bunch... Hawkeyez :-kewl

Guest Eagle92395

Hey guys, try to aim across the asian continent and to the NORTHEAST corner in Siberia. We could cross the Siberian Strait into Alaska on a short hop and then head down the West US/Canadian Coast to San Diego!!! Then from there, head up to Northeastern Canada... to Iceland, over to Ireland and down to Heathrow!!! No long water journey necessary!! (although it isn't the fastest route...it sure is scenic!!)

PIREP:AIRCRAFT: USAF BEECHCRAFT B-1900 AIRLINERENROUTE OERY TO OMAAALT 15,500 VFR GS: 270 ETA: 11:00 (O3:00 EDT).DIS THIS LEG: 432 SCREENSHOT FOLLOWS UPON LANDING AT OMAA.

Hawkeyez, to do the location post the way I did, just go to the very first post in the thread (the one with the rules) and reply to it. That will then show up at the bottom, with no indenting.I can't personally recommend a freeware flight planning tool. I use FSNav 4 (payware, but worth it). If you use the search feature for this forum, you'll almost certainly be able to find that question (and answers to it!)--Tony

Eagle92395, STRIKE!!!!!Attempting to direct the course of the flight while not currently holding the baton earns you a strike! (see the rules at the top of the thread, strike-earning actions, #5!):)Warning - Bad Pun Incoming! - If Eagle earns a strike, is that an F15? (a Strike Eagle) I know, it's really bad pun... but it's 2:20 in the morning for me. :)--Tony

Hi folks.I've received several requests for the (very simple) Round the World Challenge logo I did up when the challenge was first run. Here's what the logo looks like full-up, followed by how it looks on my Archer II. If you'd like it, you can download the logo image right from here (right-click and select "Save Picture As" to save it to your hard drive). Of course, the background color was a sample of what I wanted for the plane. To match your own, you'd have to remove or replace it using a graphics program such as Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. If you're completely out of luck with such utilities, I'd be glad to alter the background and send you a copy of what you're looking for. If you need to go that route, please send a mail message to me using the icon at the top of this message. I'm also glad to hand out the Archer repaint. Would even be glad to alter the color (but not the format of the paint-job, since that's a whole lot more work), and recolor the Tornado Wilkes text to an appropriate color.All I ask is that you don't claim the work as yours. :)Here is the logo and a sample of what it looks like on a plane.--TonyP.S. - Tornado Wilkes' signature writing is used with his permission.

Sorry I missed these in the middle of the thread. Rather than answer as direct responses to the questions, I thought I'd go ahead and do it here so they're actually visible. :)> 1. Why not use real time as well as weather?I didn't make the rules, I just umpire the thing for Tornado, since he went off on vacation! Speaking for myself personally, I have a vision problem that makes driving in the dark impossible. I don't enjoy flying in the dark either...it gives me the exact same sense of frustration I get when I think about not being able to drive after sunset. I sure don't need that when I'm trying to enjoy myself!!> 2. Where exactly is KSAN and why is it important?Another poster answered the where part. As for the why... I can only guess that Tornado chose San Francisco because it's a bit farther from the (fairly obvious) route that needs to be taken for short-hop flights that go round the world. The first time the challenge was run, the mandatory stop was Victoria Int'l (near Vancouver, BC), which was pretty much on the way back to England.> 3. Where is this destination that is at a distance > of 16,148? Is that the start point?I think so.> 4. Don't you think we need some over water rules > as exceptions to the 1 - 2.5 hour legs?Nope. If we could extend the flight times for certain situations, it would be much less of a challenge!Finally, regarding the "meeting of the sea planes" idea ... that violates the requirement that each flight leg MUST end on a runway. Since one pilot does one leg, there is no real chance to "relay" the baton. Not in this iteration of the challenge, at least. Wouldn't be fair to change the rules partway through!Hope this answered some of your questions. :)--Tony

Addendum to PIREPDown at OMAA at 11:01 (03:01 EDT)See screenshot. Baton is passed.

Review up three or four messages. Down at OMAA at 03:01 EDTBaton is Passed. Lowell Wiley

Just so NO ONE misses it: Down on the ground at OMAA at 03:01 EDT on the 20th of July. Take over please...