Sign in to follow this  
Guest 727Fan

Help please concerning computer requirements

hey guys,I just today bought the new GeForce 4 ti 4200 card thinking that would solve my low framerate problems. Well it didnt. We did discover however that my computer has 128MB of ram and that is the main culprit of playing FS2002. So I looking to upgrade to a total of 256 MB of ram . Will this be enough to play the game smoothly without clocking my harddrive?? What MB of ram are all of you using out there? Thanks for any help.

Guest Sabadin

256MB PC2100 DDR and no problems

More RAM will make it run more smoothly because you'll be using the swap file less and there will be less pausing wating for scenery and texture loads. But more RAM will not increase your framerate. (If you could tell us what CPU and OS you are using it would help). My basic rule(s) for minimum RAM for FS2002 with Win98/ME are 256MB if you just run the default aircraft and scenery - 384MB if you use the more complex addons (PSS747/777, DF737, etc). If you're using Win2000/XP the minimums rise to 384MB and 512MB, respectively. But the key to increasing your framerate is always going to be an increase in CPU power, not RAM or video cards.Trip

No prob,I'm running a Dell 8100, Windows XP. Right now the computer only came w/ 128. Now that i know my card is fine, i would just love to reduce the stuttering. The framerates are there for me now. I was getting upwards of 20-30s. It was just so slow loading and constantly while flying the computer usage light was on and the game was stuttering. I now know that this is due to lack of ram and of course that means the more expensive RDRAM.

Guest 727Fan

Before I bought my new computer, I ran a P3 with 256SD RAM and 32MG Nvidia TNT2 card. Frame rates in high density areas with full ATC brought it to its knees with 8-10 fps.I thought about a video card upgrade to a G Force 3 card. Then I realized that this card needed a 4X AGP motherboard. Mine was only 2X AGP. Wouldn't have made a difference.Make sure you have a 4X AGP motherboard before you start adding more RAM to enhance that G Force 4 card.Right now I'm running WinXP Home, P4A 2G Northwood CPU, 512 DDR RAM, 64MG G Force 3 TI 200 or 300. All sliders maxed. FPS locked at 25.Very smooth except on approach to high density airports (dawn-dusk) where FPS can drop briefly to 12. And that's usually in the Falcon with Open Sky A330s and B767s around. No add-on scenery yet.Rick