Sign in to follow this  
Guest DangermaN

IRS Problem

Guest DangermaN

I am having trouble with the IRS.Going through the tutorial by Jared Smith, it says you have to align the IRS system.Procedure:1. Turn the 3 IRS knobs to NAV from Off2. (Optional) Turn the knob to ALIGN, although you could leave it on NAV3. Go to FMC and set IRS POS by clicking LSK 4R then LSK 5R (copying GPS POS to IRS POS)The problem I am having is that when I do that, instead of copying the GPS POS to IRS POS, the IRS POS simply goes blank, that is, completely black with boxes disappeared and no coordinates which should math GPS POS.When I first tried the tutorial it worked, but it doesn't work anymore. I've tried many many times but the IRS POS just goes blank.Can anyone shed some light on this matter?Thanks,John

John, this may be because you have the realism setting turned down in the PMDG menu? If you have set your realism for a full 10 minute IRS alignment period, you should see the inserted co-ordinates appear and remain in view.. until the 10 minutes has elapsed... then they should disappear. If the realism is set so that the IRS's align almost immediately, then you are probably not seeing the intermediate displays.Hope this makes sense?Cheers.Q>

That procedure listed there isn't correct for a full alignment - the ALIGN position on the switches is only used for a 30 second "quick align" when the IRS has not been powered down between flights (ie, switches still in NAV mode)To do a full alignment on a cold and dark airplane, you need to turn the switches to NAV, select the GPS position down into the ENTER IRS POS prompt and then wait what ever align time you have set in the PMDG options menu...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest DangermaN

Ok, I see what you mean. Now I have a problem that the screens do not display. I have configured the FMC and the IRS should be aligned but still nothing is displayed in the 2D cockpit.Anyone know why?John

Do you have partial displays, John? If the screens are entirely blank, then it could either be an electrical problem... or you're having a PMDG validation problem (please refer to other message threads on this subject).Cheeers.Q>

Guest DangermaN

Hmm, working now for some reason.THanks for the help!