Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot53

ZFW

Guest Pilot53

What is the correct max ZFW for the 744? The manual shows 535,000lbs, but the load manager shows 542,500lbs.

Hi Pilot 53,I checked with the Boeing specs and they're both correct. The 542,500lbs ZFW is optional. Ken.

Guest Pilot53

I came across this as well, but how could a limitation figure such as MZFW be optional?

>I came across this as well, but how could a limitation figure>such as MZFW be optional?I'm not sure but it could be the differences in the three class configurations, single class, dual class, and tri class configurations. 747-400s do have small differences in operating limitations and performances. This probably plays the role. Maybe Jon knows. He flies the real thing. Ken.

Guest dt1951

ZFW means exactly that, Zero Fuel Weight. It is totally dependent on your passenger and cargo load. When all of that is factored in, then you will your true ZFW (the total aircraft weight minus fuel). Sounds like you were referring to empty weight. You will have to consult with the manuals and experts to get that data

Guest gremel

I believe the 'MAXimum Zero Fuel Weight' of the 747-400 is 535,000 lbs or 242,400 kgs.Regards,noullet

Guest BravoOne

When there excists a difference in ZFW, it will be a difference in the CERTIFIED zero fuel weight and not the structural zero fuel weight, which is for each aircraft equal.The reason for a difference in the actual and certified ZFW can be found in the fact that airlines may not want a fully certified 747 and in order to pay less, they can lower the certified ZFW.AZFW = CZFW ==> full capacity ==> most expensiveAZFW > CZFW ==> less then full capacity ==> less expensiveConsequences:When buying a 747 with a lower than actual ZFW, you will pay less for the same aircraft, but you are not allowed to take the full AZFW, but a lower limit (altough the aircraft won't crash)Example:Manual: 535 000 lbs (certified)Load manager: 542 000 lbs (structural)==> same aircraft, but different ZFW. when loading the aircraft to a full 542 000 lbs, it won't crash (as the lower limit of 535 000 lbs is just for regulations/price)The same practice is found in the engine ratings... but I don't think you will be interested in that :(Kind regardsNick

Guest BravoOne

If i want to buy an aircraft that can take (hypothetical) 10 tons or an aircraft that can take 20 tons (so YOUR revenue increases too) the price for the last aircraft will be higher then the first one.As ZFW is an indication for the amount of payload, and your revenue, it is logical that a higher MZFW implies a higher price for the aircraft (as you can earn more with the same tool).Kind regards,Nick

Guest Pilot53

Thanks for the replys.

Guest cargo747

>I believe the 'MAXimum Zero Fuel Weight' of the 747-400 is>535,000 lbs or 242,400 kgs.>>Regards,>noulletOhhh well, those pax-planes... wait till the -400F comes, and hopefully the "Extended Zero-Fuel-Weight" will be available.. Then we talk weight ;-)Cheers,Norbert - CLX001CEO Virtual Cargoluxwww.virtualcargolux.orgCLX_banner_grey.jpg

OK,but how is an airplane with a lower MZFW different? Is it that the gear assembly is different or something? What's to stop me from filling my plane to the structural max zfw?Paul

Guest BravoOne

the fact that your are not allowed, you are not certified, to load your aircraft fully. If you do, you are in breach of your certification.

Who's there to check? Are you saying that all i have to do to get a particular aircraft certified to have a certain MZFW is pay some money?

I really can't wait to fly her!