Sign in to follow this  

Aerocoupe?

Guest PhilC

Anyone ever hear of an Aerocoupe (or Aircoupe) aircraft? I believe it is a twin stabalizer single engine plane made quite a few years ago.If so, do you know a site where I can check out some photos?I don't suppose anyone has attempted to make one for MSFS?

I see quite a few of them here where I live. Interesting airplane-if I recall-no rudder pedals and supposed to be stall proof. (they were not though). They were meant to be more user friendly and like a car at a time it was thought everyone would have a plane .I read somewhere they were used to train for a particular type of jet where the same technique of crabbing/landing was needed.I don't have a source for pictures-sorry-but the next time I see one I'll take a shot.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

I work at a pilot shop at my local airport (SNA in southern california) and a guy was taking one up north. He said on the ground you steer it like a car. it has a direct control linkage between the rudder and ailerons. Its a neat little plane. Sorry but I'm not sure where you could find any pics of one.

Ercoupe is probably correct, or close to it. We have the fuselage of one in our museum here in Lexington, Kentucky. We are turning it into a VFR flight trainer and sim for adults. I think the museum is at: http://www.aviationky.orgAnd in a pinch sometime I could send you a digital shot of it. No wings, gear, or tail, just a base and motors and hydrolic controls now. Lowell Wiley

Guest DreamFleet

Ercoupe is correct, and a very well known / unique airplane in GA. I still see one or two at airports I visit from time to time. Indeed, it had the linkage between aileron and rudder, thus no rudder pedals.Here's a 1946 model, no radios, and an asking price of $13,500.If I recall, the fuel tank is firewall forward, and you can just make out the fuel cap with float wire sticking out. A simple yet effective fuel gauge, the readout of which is hard to miss!Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F..._FORUM_LOUd.jpghttp://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprotected/s...spec14395_1.jpg http://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprotected/s...spec14395_4.jpg

Guest PhilC

Holy cow! Thanks all. That's some great information. An uncle of mine use to own one and it was the first plane that I ever took a flight in.Would be cool if someone could design one for FS2002. From what you all say here it is definately unique.Thanks again.Edit: I just realized that one of the links was to a FS2002 plane. Going to get it now.

Since you're an Aircoupe fan, thought you'd appreciate these FS2002 shots.... These are from the plane available in the above link, with my own personal repaint...-John

Hey Lou! They also had fuel tanks in the leading edge of the wings too if I remember right. Same cork and wire gauging too. I helped restore one 25 years ago (almost looks dead on that picture too!) Fun plane to fly. It has a single brake pedal on the floor and you could push the entry/exit windows down and leave them down and fly all day. It was a fun airplane. It also has trailing gear, so most (unless REALLY bad) landings are greasers. I flew this one for about 5 hours total. What a blast. Some company came out with rudder pedal add-ons for it and IMHO ruined the damned thing. Fun plane and for only $13,000, you're also getting an antique too.Don

Guest BobL

Hey GeoffaNot stall proof...spin proof. And when I was a boy in the mid-sixties, my Dad still had a Sears N Roebuck catalog from years earlier (late forties...I guess) with them listed. You could buy one mail-order!!!!!!!!!!BobL

Correct...spin proof. Being everything is ALWAYS coordinated, she won't spin. She just kind of mushes in a stall instead. The other thing she won't do is slip, being you can't cross-control her. What the manuver for that is a gentle rocking back and forth of the wings. That will slow you and increase the rate of decent. It's not AS effective as a regular slip, but it works. It's just a different way to fly.Don

Phil,Several years ago I ferried an Ercoupe from Norman J. Perry airport (just outside of OKC) to Jamestown, ND. I took some pictures including a panel shot. If you'd like me to send them to you, throw an email my way:nodak@buffalocity.netRegards,Scott KJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Hello: i find something about ERCOUPE go at this site for pictures..andr

Guest PhilC

John,I downloaded the plane but I can not get it to start up. I go through all the start up procedures but when I turn the starter the prop just turns real slow and the engine will not turn over. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?