Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ray51

Rudder hardover

Guest Ray51

I was in CRZ at FL380 in a flight from MIA to ORD. I was north of ATL in VNAV and LNAV and got up to get a drink. 30 seconds later I hear the stick shaker. I quickly returned to the cockpit and find the aircraft 10 degrees down and 30 degress in a right turn and speed at around 0.6 mach. I took manual control of the aircraft but could not maintain wings level flight. Speed was impossible to maintain unless in a dive. The aircraft would not respond to flight director input only manual control and little of that. Finally I discovered my rudder was hardover to the right. I cycled the rudder pedals and regained normal flight control. After I manaully returned to CRZ speed of 0.80 mach and regained the 15,000 ft of altitude I lost, I returned to LNAV and VNAV control. I thought I had somehow lost my rudder calibration but a check of the cal in FSUIPC showed the normal values for my pedals. About 30 minutes later, ASV6 appeared to update and I again had a hardover to the right. I again cycled the pedals and cleared the hardover. The flight was continued without further incident and I landed on RWY 27L at ORD without problem. Since ASV6 updated a few more time during the flight I do not believe the ASV6 update was the cause but I will have to test and see if I can reproduce the hardover in another flight. I though Boeing fixed the hardover problem in the early 737's....lol.Ray

i have noticed with AS6 i get that horrible stick shaker noise! there is a way to smooth out the wind if you have a payware version of FSUIPC unfortunately i dont so im looking to see if AV6 has this option..no luck finding it yet. There have been other posts on the forum in regards to weather updating causing a problem. Im off to check the AS support forum :)

Guest Jock in a Frock

> I was in CRZ at FL380 in a flight from MIA to ORD. I was>north of ATL in VNAV and LNAV and got up to get a drink. 30>seconds later I hear the stick shaker. I quickly returned to>the cockpit and find the aircraft 10 degrees down and 30>degress in a right turn and speed at around 0.6 mach. I took>manual control of the aircraft but could not maintain wings>level flight.Lol, this sounds like a real-life pilot explaining why he stuck his 747 in the ocean! EEEK!!!Andy Scholes

Make sure you have the current FSUIPC 3.53 installed. It fixes wind componant reporting and as a couple of beta releases ago fixed rapid wind direction changes.When you download it read the history notes. It will work with your current registration.AS6 does have a wind smoothing option but you have more control in a registered FSUIPC.AS6 just released service pack V2. I have not tried it yet. Check their support forum.

Guest Ray51

I have FSUIUPC 3.53 and it is a registered copy. This was not a case of a speed drop due to sudden wind changes but the rudder had a uncommanded full deflection to the right and STAYED there. The rudder would not respond to auto pilot commands nor to coordination commands from the airlerons. The rudder would not respond to rudder trim commands manually. Try flying the 744 with the rudder on full right, it is not an easy task. The drag from the full rudder position and the full left airlerons trying to get a wings level flight attitude induced enough drag to cause a loss of air speed in level flight. Only by cycling the rudder pedals did I get a return to rudder control. It was just like when you land and the rudder goes hard right for some reason and stays there. Very hard to taxi under that condition except this time I was still airborne in CRZ flight and made no turns. Does anyone know what causes the rudder deflection upon landing in FS9?And yes I can see myself in the Chief Pilot's office, hat in hand, explaining why we had to give free drinks and a free ticket to any of our destinations to the PAX to calm them down after my flight... lolAt least I did manage to recover normal flight ops. Had this happened during approach like it did to that 737-200, I believe, I too would have ended up as a lawn dart. But like the 737 that confirmed the uncommanded hardovers of the rudder in the 737's I too was at an altitude that allowed me to regain control. I had experienced some turbulance at FL360 and had step climbed to my final flight altitude of FL380, but I had been at this Altitude for a good 40 minutes before the hardover occured.Ray

I've had that happen to me on various occasions but on other aircraft (sim of course). hmmmm...regards,Macs :)

A couple of things to check. I assume your rudder peds are USB.First what has caused some simmers problems in general is that via the Device Manager, check out all your USB devices including device controllers on your system board to insure the property that allows Windows to turn off the interface if CPU or power resources are straining. These power management things should be disabled. Suspend should also be disabled. The fact that cycling the peds restored control might be a hint.I would also go into the FSUIPC general tab and insure the USB anti-spiking filters are enabled for each control axis. In windows I've had my mouse pointer occasionally just jump into a new position even at rest (optical wired mouse).Finally in Win gaming options check the ped properties and see if the axis controls operate smoothly.I also wonder if the YAW DAMPER system modeling could affect this.On two mobos under W98 and WXP I had/have to cycle several of the USB controls on each axis before going into FS. If I do not they are at full throw and everything is off calibration in FSUIPC and FS.You may be aware of these idiosyncrasies but I thought I'd just cover them.

I've experienced the same problems. I've just aborted a flight from Darwin to Sydney. I found ot that the rudder went to a fully right or left position. It centered itself when the nose of the plane pointed directly north. I deleted my fsuipc.dll and fsuipc.ini, and then placed fsuipc 3.53 in modules. Restarted flightsim and it seemed to work...until I got airborn. The aircraft suddenly made a hard right move along the yawaxis. I tried turning on AP with LNAV and RNAV but the aircraft only flew inn circles not following the flightplan.I'm affraid I got to do yet another re-install... I guess the guys at PMDG are getting rather tired of getting e-mails from me asking to reset my instalations.

Hi allI have flown the 747 since the first week that it came out, and with the fix have enjoyed trouble free flights of around maybe 100 hrs with it. At the weekend I updated FSUIPC to the latest as I was 2 versions down, and made a successful flight yesterday. Today I wanted to maske the same flight as I made some piloting errors yesterday, and as I went to taxi from the gate (after succesful pushback using the pmdg push back) the plane would only turn left. I looked in the EICAS and the rudder was fully over to the left. I tried then to load the cessna and see if the rudder was over on that plane and when I loaded it I got a crash (system stop i think it called it) only a hard reset would start the system again. I restarted and did the flight with no problems. I dont know enough about systems to say that it only started after updating fsuipc and deleting both files (the usual way), but thats what seemed to happen. So i'll monitor this thread for more info if any comes to lightedit. No external weather programs apart from Vatsim injecting weather when you log on.John CallejaBAW352

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Guest Ray51

well I have reinstalled the latest PMDG update and I redid the flight and I had no problems. So far I have not had a reoccurence of the hard over since. I have encounter a hardover after landing in various aircraft on infrequent occasions but never in the air before. I will keep testing.Ray

Just as a matter of interest, when you replace your FSUIPC.dll file are you also deleting your FSUIPC.ini file? I only ask as I used to have problems until I started deleting the .ini file when upgrading the FSUIPC file. All sorts of wierd problems, including loss of rudder control. I use a CH yoke and pedal set.Regards,Travis

Some but not all of the incremental FSUIPC updates require the .ini file to be rebuilt. It is usually in the update notes when this is required.

hi ronzie,i have a question: is FSUIPC 3.53 payware, or freeware> I am just using the FSUIPC that i got when i bought the Queen in August.thanks,tom

If you just need the features provided for PMDG it should retain its product registration. If you want all of FSUIPCs features (which I have) then you purchase a full registration.A full registration includes various control mapping and calibratrion, additional FS functions assignable to hot keys like toggling AI off and on to refresh AI patterns and ATIS for weather changes with new themes loaded or external weather program initialization, and other stuff to numerous to mention here.http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html is the site of the latest download and also provides a link to the support forum. There you will find a pinned topic stating what you get with full registration. It is also in the docs where your FSUIPC folder is located.