Sign in to follow this  
MSW

Any Thing Out There For Sound Improvement?

Are there any addons out there to improve on the PMDG 744 sound such as there is for the PMDG 737? The 744 sound needs to be reworked, especially the exterior view sounds which are muffled badly, as I have posted previously, but it appears that PMDG isn't going to do that. I have loaded the excellent sounds for the PMDG 737 by ???, I forgot his name, which are really enjoyable. Has he or anyone else done any sounds for the 744? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!Mike

Guest 3202b

Hi, agreed about the sounds..the interior sounds are just as dissapointing too - you should barely be able to hear the engines as the wind and electronics drown out about 90% of external sounds. After 12 recent jumprides with my company in the 744 they seem very unrealistic. They just seem to be very harsh at the moment and not very 'smooth'..I hope that can be fixed!John

How about some comment from PMDG? This has been a reoccuring post and I have never seen any definitive answer from PMDG. Is the sound going to be improved?Mike

Mike,I had seen a comment by PMDG that they will be introducing a new sound package for the 744 but the ETA I do not know. It was posted in this forum so if you do a search, you sound find it using "sound" or "sounds" as keywords.John

Well what PMDG release or rework for sounds I cannot comment upon but would like to at least quote a rl 744 pilot from the team on the current sounds from the cockpit in reply to your opinion."The PMDG sounds IMHO are very good and capture the atmosphere of the flight deck." He flys it and is only one of the many rl 744 pilots on the team and not one of them say anything in the manner you present them. Why do you think that is? I believe and have always believed that sound is a very subjective topic. Even if you please half the people you will have the same amount of folks who think differently so what does one do? You likely listen to the majority including your team of professionals and misc comments and make choices and implement changes-tweaks etc. In the end though you will never please everyone so you must rely on those who been there, who know and who think what you have produced replicates the sounds in a very acceptable fashion. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Hi,I'm not sure if you're referring to the same sounds I've talked about in recent posts. They are a little dissapointing to me as well. I've never had a jump ride on a 747-400 like john has and he says they seem very unrealistic. The sounds that was dissapointing to me was the sounds during the take-off and the landing phase of the flight, when rolling down the runway. In most of the high quality videos I've seen, I can hear the low frequency rumbling sounds of the tires and some vibrations. And when landing, I can hear the sounds, probably of the struts as the airplane settles onto the runway. It would also be more realistic if we can hear the sounds of the brakes being applied and when you release the brakes. Other than that, everything else sounds very close to the sounds I hear in the videos. It's hard to describe, but the sounds in the PMDG 747 during the take-off phase sounds too much like background sounds or sounds heard in the distance instead of the forward vibrations or low frequency sounds I hear in many of the videos, not just one.Ken.

The main gripes I have are two.1. The cockpit and engine sound is so loud that I can't hear the ATC. I have to put the sliders for the cockpit and engines back so far in relation to the ATC (which is maxed) that it is too low. Yes real pilots wear headphones to hear ATC but that doesn't work on a computer simulation unless there is an option such as what the Dreamfleet Baron 58 has, which changes the sound in relation to the ATC to be as if you had earphones on or you can choose the sound as if you were not wearing earphones.2. On the exterior, the sound is muffled (especially since I have to put the engine slider back because of number 1 above) and not very impressive at all. I like to switch to exterior view when taking off to really hear that load roaring jet noise. Instead all I get is a muffled weak sound which is completely unacceptable.If PMDG is unwilling to correct this, I hope someone else comes up with better sounds like they did with the PMDG 737s.It's disappointing that PMDG does not reply to this or many other posts that I see. Perhaps they should improve on that as well.Mike

Mike, PMDG are in the middle of working very long hours on the F version along with us beta testers. You do not know if sounds have been reworked or not right? Please keep in mind that even though PMDG do not reply personally to every post they are aware of what their customers ask for including sounds.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Dude, is this the tired old 'it sounds like this on the Virgin744 video' thingy, again? As for toning down the wind noise, one can change the parameter in sound.cfg file (all 3 engine variants) to something like//WIND_SOUND//maximum_volume=1200PatAMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 1GB DDR, LTK6800GT-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, WDRaptor10KrpmHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke + TQ, XP-hsp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Randy:Thats right, I do not know if PMDG is reworking the sounds or not. Thats my point. Why can't PMDG come out and say so? What the heck is so hard about that?I like PMDG's products. I have all of them, but their support on this forum is severely lacking. Many other addon forums which I participate in for other aircraft and scenery do an excellent job of responding to all questions and posts, no matter how minor or repetitive, in a very polite manner.Yes I know PMDG is working hard on developing the 747-400F but after that they will be working hard on the MD-11 and after that something else. Other addon companies work hard all of the time developing new products also but they also make a lot of effort answering their customer's questions. They usually designate someone who knows whats going on to answer the posts. PMDG perhaps needs to designate someone to do that also.Mike

Seems I've been missing out here..... Where can I find the 737 replacement sounds?Searched on Avsim but can't find it......Phil Symonds

Dougal:Its file pmdg737snd.zip by Des Braban at AVSIM. Its about 53 MB. Its quite good.Mike

Guest B1900 Mech

"He flys it and is only one of the many rl 744 pilots on the team" Not to mention that they all have first class medicals from the FAA,and I thimk I will take their opinion's over anyone else.

At 1st, I thought the engine sounds were unrealistically loud, but the RW pilots said that this was realistic, so now i appreciate that, but they are just too loud to comfortably use the sim. Is there any way to turn down the 744 sounds? Currently, each flight i have to switch between the default 50% engine volume and the 20% that i find comfortable in the queen. This has to be done via the FS menu, and as you can imagine, is not very realistic. How can i modify the cfg (or whatever else) to reduce the volume permanently?ThanksPaul

>Dude, is this the tired old 'it sounds like this on the Virgin744 video' thingy, againNo, it's not about the tired old "it sounds like this on the Virgin Atlantic video" thing again. So what, if it is. The fact remains that the sound you hear in the video is accurate and it's not just in this video. I've listened to at least 50 or more videos of 747 cockpit recordings using high end sound equipment and they all sound basically the same. As for the wind noise, the wind noise in the PMDG 747 is very close to what I hear in the video recordings. The wind noist is fairly loud but this is actual characteristic of the 747-400. Ken.