Sign in to follow this  
Check_Airman

Anti-Ice

Does anyone know the logic behind having only 1 wing anti-ice switch, and separate anti-ice switches for each engine? I figure if ice affects 1 wing, then it affects the other. I'd assume the same is true for engines, so why separate switches?Paul

Paul-In the event of a fault in the NAI system- you want to be able to de-select it- while not placing the other engines in danger....Additionally- you may find yourself shutting down an engine- so you'd like to shut down that one anti ice system....I've never met a pilot who would care much about keeping one wing AI system running after the other wing fails. :-)Seriously- some aircraft have very integrated and intelligent systems requiring a singe switch for the entire airplanes. various failures are accounted for by the system logic, etc...Not this airplane, however.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest andyman

I wish there would be an airplane with 100% automatic anti ice that would sense temperature, WX radar read wx reports and such. I think the 777 has some sort of system like this... or is that another plane? I forgot

Thanks for the reply,But doesn't each engine provide it's own bleed air for ANTI ICE? If so, then an engine failure disables AI. Why then would you want or have to deselect it?Paul

Guest Robin.B

Why would you wish for that? Isn't it better to have it under your control? :D

NAI system logic is far more elaborate than appears here. For example, the NAI switch also activates continuous ignition. During air restart, you may want to select the NAI off for such reasons.>Thanks for the reply,>>But doesn't each engine provide it's own bleed air for ANTI>ICE? If so, then an engine failure disables AI. Why then would>you want or have to deselect it?>>>>Paul

Guest morvious

I remeber that Virgin and other airliners have Auto anti-ice in the cockpit.I find it a little shame PMDG didn't provide them with the product :(I always forget the darn switches, and when I have them on, I get a warning on the displays just before landing.. wonder what that is ;)

Guest Knikolaes

Meh :-P Who needs anti-ice? Just have the kiddies get out on the wing and start making snow-cones :-) J/K