Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kim_kewl

FD Panel Lighting Levels?

Guest Kim_kewl

Hi All,Just a question about flight deck lighting.When flying at night I tend to switch off all the panel lights, apart from the

Guest Robin.B

I think the least time you will ever need strong lights is once you're airborne. During preflight I would usually switch the Dome light on, but once airborne I feel no need for a light at all.

This comes from a 1st officer on the 767 so it is not specific to the 744 but apparently the flt dck lts are normally an 'As Required' item in most Boeing checklists.I gather that they have dome lights on as required during the day, at night they have:Dome on for preflight Glareshield lights for taxi Backlighting only from the takeoff until passing FL100 or so Glareshields back on for the latter stages of the climb and the cruiseDown to backlighting again descending into the terminal areaGlarehields back on as the aircraft is taxying in. Domes on with the engines shut down.Even with this in mind, apparently on long hauls at night the domes can be put on so that the cockpit is well illuminated and where seeing out the window is not as important (ie in the middle of the ocean with ATC and the TCAS providing separation guidance).Conversely the glareshield lights can be left off in the climb/turned off earlier in the descent as required to maximise the view in high traffic areas.I'd be interested to hear from someone with a 744 perspective to compare.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest Kim_kewl

Hi Guys,Thanks for your help.At night in the Boeing 744 I tend to use all the lights I have while at the stand. Once I have started push back I mainly use the panel lighting (back lighting?). Being honest I keep the lights at this low level until I have arrived at the stand the other end, as I feel the darker flight deck is more calming.Thanks again for your help and any futher help would be totally fab!Many ThanksKimberly.

i guess i am a night cargo hauler at heart. i love having all the lights off and only the backlighting on at night. i hate light.