Sign in to follow this  
767lover

ARIANE 737NG stereo sound package

Hi!For me, sound is a very important element for realism in FS. Although the original PMDG sounds for 737NG sounds are acceptable, I am looking for better sounds.The ARIANA sound package looks promising, from the desription of the seller and some rumours I heard regarding it. Can anyone attest that?Thanks,Dirk

Guest cfm56

Hello Dirk I share your views about the sound issues - cant fly without the most 'realest' sound possible for the sim. However I have come to the following realisation: 100% or even 90% realism when it comes to sounds is not possible given the current flight simulator, the way the "sound.cfg" file is written, the way FS interprets it, and many other factors.Sound is SOMEWHAT subjective - what I hear may not be what you hear in terms of the tone/ color of the sound played. However, If our ears are working the way it should and you and I where sitting at the same location from the sound, we will hear the same thing in terms of whether the sound is high or low in pitch.With that said, I think the Ariane soundset is ok except for a few things. Even though, I believe the startup sounds are authentic, I dont like the fact that they use two different engine startup sounds for the left and right engines. Takes away from the realism that we are lookin for.Secondly, If you were to use videos as your example for the real thing (which is kind of questionable) you would be force to say that the high pitch sound that cuts in at about 60%n1 is of a different tone than the real thing.The other thing I dont like is the missing sound of the packs, and also the gear up sounds are slightly differnet in comparison to videos. I really dont know of anything else that is wrong with it, Its really up to you if you want to get it. sincerly,Gideon

Save your money. I don't know what some people are smoking, but those sounds are awful.To achieve the same effect, place a vacuum cleaner somewhere behind your chair and turn it on! There you go!

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0902/pt_again.html This might appear "old" but is always worth it's weight in gold....[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest dt1951

The problem is most people don't want realistic sounds. Why do they get all hung up over that? If they wanted realistic sounds in these great aircraft, they would be sorely disappointed because they wouldn't hear that much sound in the cockpit anyway. So, are they looking for realistic unrealistic sounds? Sounds that sound much like the real engines, etc.. that wouldn't hear in the cockpit to start with?

Guest Knikolaes

I admit it -- I wouldn't mind realistic as in less sounds.It is for that reason that I love the LDS 767 package and the PMDG 747 package -- their cckpits sound exactly as I remember from being in the front of both AC as a jumpseat passenger. Aaaah . . . the days before 9/11, when we could score such rides . . .I also have to agree with the above statements on the Ariane sound package. I have their stereo version of that package and it is just horrible compared to PMDG's version.If you want realistic for engine sounds, hop onto AVSIM and check out sound packages by Devyn Silverstein. Best of all they are free, so if ya don't like em, yer not out any cash. I forget if he made 737 sounds though and at the moment I am in college so I am not browsing excessively . . . but he is an AWESOME sound artist -- or was -- he recently announced he is "retiring" from making sound packs.My solution was simply to go into FS and tone down the engine sounds so the cockpit was actually quieter :-) I could care less about what the plane sounds like outside -- I usually fly from in the cockpit. Some pilots have that habit LOL.

Guest Knikolaes

Holy crow, Randy . . . . I just read that AVSIM article you linked. VERY disturbing!!!! I never knew any of that. I always had an "off" impression of Ariane, but now it is even more founded - especially in a dislike for the individual that I already had.Thanks a lot for posting that.

Thanks for your tips people! Yes, sound is very subjective, but when you check flight videos, the cockpit sounds do not very much between videos, so there is some consistency. Maybe I have too high standards for sound quality in FS, but only rarely have I come across good sound packages, especially for jets. The best I heard so far are the PMDG747 and LevelD767 cockpit sounds. However, I do not particularly like the engine sounds from both packages, especially from the outside.Dirk

Guest Knikolaes

Aye, when I get bored I usually replace the outside sounds with sounds from Devyn Silverstein. he did great work. I try to keep the interior sounds intact on those two models, though, as they both did indeed a superb job :-)

This reminds me of my 767 days. A Mr Ghedds produced a sound package for the 767 (prior to the latest release of the 767) which had more "growl" on TO amounst other things. I liked it but could not really say if it was more realistic or not. Sound is very subjective and truthfully I do not think any fs sound will ever truely sound exactly like the real deal. I fly GAs alot in FS but when I play videos of 172s they never sound like the best add-ons in FS..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest Knikolaes

Agreed. But it sure is a blast when you have 7.1 surround on an amplifier and roommates at 6 AM when you wake up and feel like a "level volume sim time" Hee hee Even better when the sounds come at least close ROFL.

Guest jultol

Did you tried this? http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=57575I know the real 737 sound (10 to 12 times flying in it) and this package sound is very similar to the real.Some people says "sim limitations", I think "programers limitations"Anyway I think is a very good sound for the 737 pmdg

Some people says "sim limitations", I think "programers limitations" And I say the poeple who say "programers limitations" have never produced anything to replace to prove such assertions other than stating such is the case. Flying from the pax area means only that you heard how the sound is from the pax area, nothing more unless you somehow got your head out a window during a climb... [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

I guess the problem here is a bit like flight modelling. It's one thing to get it accurate to the book figures but it's something else again to get it to 'feel' right also.Given that most of us have a linear-resistance spring-loaded joystick or yoke it is IMPOSSIBLE to compare the R/W vs. sim 'feel' on anything other than a 'suspension of disbelief' basis. Not that this is a bad thing, it's just the unavoidable difference between the hardware setups Joe Simmer and Captain Jon Bunting have. :)Likewise it is impossible to scientifically state that a soundset will be 100% like the real plane as it will be played through a variety of speaker types and is normally being compared by users to either:-A video that they have, which was recorded on a mic of unknown fidelity and is being played back through (yet again) a varying array of speakers in a room with it's own acoustics.Or-Based on the (by definition) imperfect human auditory recall of a flight where they were on the flight deck or more likely in the cabin (different noise, end of story).See how hard it is to get right?I spent 4 hours on a 747 flight deck very recently and trust me I cannot say with ANY authority that what I hear in my study is exactly the same or not. I'm afraid the same goes for almost all of you here who don't spend your working day in one.However PMDG's sounds strike me as being a very good balance between stright up fidelity and that intangible 'feel'. Put it this way: When I bring those GE's up to takeoff thrust I'm satisfied that they're working properly. :)

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Ha, yes Randy, I remember what you're talking about. That unmistakeable, hmmm, hard to explain....kind of a low pitched whine or even howl but with more base. It's kind of like that flap retraction noise (actuators) you hear on planes when your sitting in the cabin. I'd love to hear that in the cockpit even though it may not be realistic from a point of view. I'm glad I use the FDC module. The 'taxi to gate' crew announcement has those sounds captured.Although maybe not realistic for in the cockpit, it's definatly a blast for simmers while in the cockpit. Even for me I like stuff like that while in the cockpit.I still think there is some credibility to maybe a not so realistic approach as long as things are true if you know what I mean.Great post. :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply