Sign in to follow this  
Manny

NOT IN DATABASE

Hi Installed the PMDG 747.I downloaded the Navdata and extracted into the the folder mentioned in the readme file.I searched the forum and found the tutorial and was following it. to do the flight from KLAX to KEDWExcept.. I did not do the cold start. I started with the warm start..Engine running from the same l1 spot at LAX.I click the FMS and on the first step to update the flight computer woith my current location,I see the Last POS and the GPS pos.. but when I click on either of them to move the coordinates into the word area and then when I click on SET IRS POS. It does nothing.. it does not take the coordinates from the work area.and then If skip that and try to move on, I keep getting "NOT IN DATABASE" in the workarea.Help.Thanks.MAnny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

When SET IRS POS comes up in the work area (scratchpad I think you are talking about?), it's actually the message telling you to carry out this action.You need to clear that message away, then click on the GPS Position and transfer it to the IRS pos line.The manual goes through this in detail - look for 'POS Init'.If you are following this and still get stuck, let us know.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Mark, yes..thats what I meant.. and yes.. Its still not taking the location.I am following that tutorial. but when I click on GPS pos, It moves the coordinates into the scratch pad and then when I click on SET IRS POS. It does nothing.. it does not take the coordinates from the Scratch pad.Manny

Manny

Guest truckinflyboy

Manny, Are there any little boxes on the line for the IRS POS entry? I think if you cycle the IRS's off and then back to Nav you can then use the FMC to update the position.

>Manny, Are there any little boxes on the line for the IRS POS>entry? I think if you cycle the IRS's off and then back to>Nav you can then use the FMC to update the position.Larry,Nope.. There are no ----- lines underneath SET IRS POS.How do cycle the IRS? BTW..what is an IRS?:)MannyI THINK I GOT IT..That did it.. Recyclying the IRS gave me the square boxes..:)Thank you

Manny

But I am getting stuck at the next step.. When I am in rt1..and I type KLAXKEDW and then R3 (CO ROUTE).The Origin and Dest is not being populated...and I get a "NOT IN DATABASe'The KLAKEDW is moved over under CO ROUTEHmmm...

Manny

Have you saved a flightplan of that name into the PMDG/Flightplans directory? Make sure it isn't called LAXEDW as the naming of the plans can be inconsistent.Just as aside, I'm sure the tutorial is a good one but KLAX to KEDW is one heck of a short flight, barely 60 miles and not long enough in duration to get a feel for the aircraft.Not wanting to confuse the issue but could I perhaps suggest something like KLAX-KSFO as a good alternative? The principles in the tutorial will be the same but you'll have enough time to see what's what without building up too much of a sweat. The first and last 30 minutes of any 744 flight are the most intense and if those times overlap it's a recipe for overload!There's even a saved route in the flightplans folder, enter LAXSFO001 into the CO Route entry. (That's letter-O, zero, zero, one just to clarify)

Mark Adeane - NZWN

Hi Mark,Have you saved a flightplan of that name into the PMDG/Flightplans directory? Make sure it isn't called LAXEDW as the naming of the plans can be inconsistent?No...the tutorial did not say anything about saving a flightplan. But lets say I create a flight plan using the FS9 I assume, into the PMDG/ Flightplans directory.. what should I name it as? How would the FMS know about the flight plan in FS9? Hmmmm...I get your point about the short route of KLAXKEDW.. I'll try from KLAXKSFO.Thanks.Manny

Manny

OK.. I tried the LAXSFO001 and it loaded..but it gave me "9 RWY LOAD ERR".Hmmm...I continued on...and it seems to look good otherwise... untilTAKEOFF REF page.. entering the altitude and stuff I go this message "Unable CRZ ALT".I continued on... and set my FD on and the when I tried to change the Speed to the V2 speed, I am unable to change the IAS in the AP. (I was able to do this...when I was simply flying around). Yes.. I placed the cursor in the right place till I got <--> an all.Manny

Manny

OK, I'm at work so unable to reproduce this, but I GUESS that error means something about a runway selection that is invalid. So what I would try is to load the flightplan, go to the DEP/ARR page and select a runway for departure.A flightplan handles the bulk of the flight legs but every flight would call for a different departure or arrival runway and SID or STAR so you still need to add those to the flight.So yeah, load the flightplan, select a departure runway and SID if appropriate, then go to the LEGS page to clear any discontinuities. Once you have a break-free flightplan, activate it.THEN you should do the performance data and hopefully it should work fine.If none of this works I will generate a flightplan for you tonight (it's 11AM here right now) and test it in my own aircraft then I will send it to you. Let us know if any of the above helps first.Cheers!

Mark Adeane - NZWN

Thanks Mark,I appreciate your help.I downloaded the cold start that was in the tutorial and going through everything from scratch...cold start (instead of the warm start earlier)and I am stuck at the SET IRS POS again. When I cycle the IRS.. meaning OFf-NAV-ALIGN (all three) and I open the FMS, I see the blocks for me to enter the coordinates..along with a message "ENTER IRS POSITION) so when I press 4R (GPS position) and then 5R (SET IRS POS), the blocks disappears.. without accepting those coordinates.(Mind you at this stage.. I have not loaded any flight plan). I entered KLAX in the field REF AIRPORT which it took... I also tried to enter a Gate ..but it wouldn't take it. I tried I1, L1, I 1, L 1, GATE L1, GATE L 1, ...nope.. It says "NOT IN DATABASE" I have a feeling it doesn't know its present position.Mannyunder NAV DATA (IDENT) = AIRAC-0506 ACTIVE = JUN09JUL06/05CODATA = PMDG001------------------------------------------Reading the manual, it looks like once I press the 5R (Pos INIT) to take the coordinates , it will accept the coordinate but will not display there..it will become empty. if that is ok.. then I thought, everything is ok and proceededI loaded the flight plan... and set everything noted the V2 and trim..and closed out the FMC and the TOP Panel and looked at the PFD ...its PFD is not looking good.. the box next to it is blacked out

Manny

OK, going back to your IRS POS INIT issue. The GPS co-ords are definitely the best choice for accuracy so we'll stick with those.Excuse the details here but I want to make sure you get this right, it's not a complex process once you know it. (honest!) The problem is not related to the source of the data, the problem will be stemming from the state that the IRS systems are in.Assuming you're going through a cold start I suggest loading the startup situation that comes with the 744 to start with. (PMDG menu, 'load a flight' select the cold and dark situation)I will assume you are able to follow the procdures for starting up the systems but briefly here are the important steps that must be completed first.--------------Battery ONExt Pwr 1 or 2 ON (depends on which one is shows as AVAIL)Standby Power AUTO--------------The trick with initiating your IRS units from a cold start is to move the selectors from the OFF position to the NAV position. This should require one right mouse-click on each of the 3. If the IRS selectors are in any position other than OFF, set them to OFF first.Don't worry about ALIGN, that mode can be ignored for this flight.You should now see an annunciation on the Nav Display in the top left corner showing a countdown to alignment for each of the three IRS units. Regardless of what the countdown time actually is, NOW go to your FMC, clear the ENTER IRS POSITION message and enter the co-ords as you described. If there is a warning tone the moment you put the co-ords into the SET IRS POS line, simply repeat the above process (copy GPS pos, paste into the SET IRS POS line). This is the Boeing method of confirming your position if the aircraft has been moved since the IRS was last shut down.Whew! Hopefully this makes sense. Let me know if this sorts you problem out.Finally can you let me know where you got this tutorial from? I'd like to see if it is putting you wrong anywhere.

Mark Adeane - NZWN

All right.. I shut it down and started warm start... Just brought the FMC, cycled it...did what I needed to do... Loaded the LAXSFO001 flight plan,, loaded the Gorman4 Departure runway 6L... and set the LNAV and RNAV and I tookoff..and its on AP for now tracking the course..:)so far so good.I atleast got it off the ground.Well it did the course as per the DP.. since the DP is not tied to the route.. the LNAV got disengaged and was heading somewhere.. I have now turned it to intercept the Route.But how do I tell the AP to follow NAV? you know ..the route instead of my headings?

Manny

Provided you have the Standby Power selctor set to AUTO this seems a bit odd. The tutorial seems OK from a procedural standpoint but I suspect that the situation files you are using with this aircraft are the source of many of the problems here. I think it is important that you DON'T USE the ColdDarkKLAX.FLT and ColdDarkKLAX.Sav files.So... In a final attempt to solve the issues here... :-)Load up the PMDG load manager and chose a moderate passenger and cargo load, ensure that there are no values in RED. Save the configuration.Load your aircraft using the 'create a flight' menu, set the airport to KLAX and choose a 'Gate Heavy' gate.Go to the PMDG menu, select the 'Fuel' options section and load 40 tonnes of fuel, this isn't exactly accurate but it will be well and truly enough for an hour's flying. Note that this will pre-set your fuel switches to a ready-to-go state, you should leave them alone from here on in.Carry out the tutorial steps from 'Preflight' to the 'Route' page section. Don't forget the IRS discussion we had earlier.At the route page point in the tutorial, load the LAXSFO001 plan instead of the LAXEDW one.Then for your PERF INIT page, carry out the rest of the tutorial start up procedures but with reference to your LAX-SFO route.At the end of your startup procedures you should have a route showing on your ND and with the Flight Directors on you should be able to ARM LNAV and VNAV (they'll appear in white under the TOGA indications on your PFD)If you get this far you're well on the way!Can anyone from the Dev or Beta team review this thread and see if we've missed anything?

Mark Adeane - NZWN