Sign in to follow this  
Manny

NOT IN DATABASE

Did you clear the discontinuities form the flightplan?LEGS page, captain! :-)

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

>Did you clear the discontinuities form the flightplan?>>LEGS page, captain! :-)Hi Mark.:)Welll I just figured..I had to do something.. I went to the FMC and saw the discontinue message.. I cleared it and saw some waypoint on the right..Thogut I could do a direct to those waypoint..but I keep getting NOT IN DATABASE.Hmm..I think I have gone far enough now with your help... to start reading. I just want to make sure that the Database or whatnot that is required is all setup correctly.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

You can step through your route prior to departure so you can avoid this (although it can happen in the air too) that is why checking and having someone else check what is put into the FMC is correct is vital. On the EFIS control panel (with the legs page open)select PLAN then on the legs page push the STEPT prompt. You can now view the entire route in this manner and connect-modify any items you find along the path. To perform a DIR TO simply LEFT CLICK on the RIGHT "KEY" next to the waypoint (this will place the wpt into the FMC's stratchpad) then LEFTCLICK the upper first LEFT "KEY". These are called LSKs (Line Select Keys) then push EXECUTE. The plane will now fly dir to that selected point.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Randy and Mark WOW.So all those NOT IN DATABASE messages I am getting is due to PILOT error? :)well..I messed up and hand flew the sucker to SFO runway 27. I couldn't even get the ILS Frequency set... so went visual.But I did a nice touch down... absolutely pretty looking. I came a little fast...I was like 210 kts at 500 AGL .so I dead sticked it (F1 actually) and touched down at 150 kts... reverse thrusted using my let two engine Throttle (cause my Ch throttle is set for a twin not 4 engines)... maintained the heading with the right rudder.I am now on a 120 second play back loop enjoying my work here... :) I have the Megascenary sanfrancisco and the Fly tampa SFO Airport...and I had downloaded the Lufthansa paint job...and its spectaculer. :)After I read your post.. I got the FMC and did what you said... and it seems to do it. Oh well.this is my first flight. :) I'll get there.I was avoiding the heavies.. but I have a feeling I just might get hookedBTW.. I have a nice 19" elo touch screen monitor (my second monitor) I placed the FMC on it and it works great.But the overhead panel looks neat when I place it on the right monitor.. except with the touch screen..I lose the right mouse button functionality.:)Manny

Manny

Glad to hear you're getting there Manny!Come back to us if you need any more help, though I'm away for a week and a bit from tomorrow I'm sure there'll be some folk here to help out.Good luck and glad you are liking the heavies, it's a lot of fun being at the top of the aeronautical food chain isn't it? ;-)

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

>Glad to hear you're getting there Manny!>>Come back to us if you need any more help, though I'm away for>a week and a bit from tomorrow I'm sure there'll be some folk>here to help out.>>Good luck and glad you are liking the heavies, it's a lot of>fun being at the top of the aeronautical food chain isn't it?>;-)Thanks Mark.I am sure you guys will hear from me... :)I'll talk to you after a week then. Yes.. its fun.. landing it...hand flying and landing is fun.. But need to figure the FMC thing to make it auto land and everything.Take care.Manny

Manny

The FMC can seem at first a bit to fathom but in it's basic form it is a pretty simle tool to use. The FMC really has one pactical purpose, that is to make the pilot's job easier (in theory). You input information for the FMC to calculte your flight parameters based in part on what you input. You input position, weights, route (RWY - ARR etc), cost index, crz altitude, thrust, temps and flaps. From these the flight management computer makes calculations, some but not limited to vspds for takeoff and landing, opt/max flight levels, performance settings for climbing, econ speeds for climb/crz and descent, top of climb point, top of drop point and end of descent point. The 747 will even suggest step climbs in given circumstances. The key to working with the FMC is knowing how it interacts with the automatic flight system. If you set 10000' on the mode control panel and the FMC has a crz altitude of FL240 the aircraft will stop at the MCP altitude. If the aircraft was in vnav it will now enter vnav alt mode. This allows the pilot to retain vnav in a tempoary level off situation. To resume it's climb one simply resets the MCP altitude and pushes the altitude knob on the MCP. Another example would be not setting the MCP to a lower than crz altitude 2 minutes before the TOD point. If you did not reset this the aircraft will actually stay at that altitude and if you wait too long you will not be able to capture the calculated path for descent. Of course there are many more things to learn to be proficient handling this incredible machine, it's the challenge that pilots who spend years studying know all too well. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Randy, I see your point about figuring out how it intereacts with the other system.BTW.. I found this in another thread here.http://brettdonahue.com/content/view/13/25/Brett has done one amazing job with the FMC tutorial.. Albeit its for a 737 ..but its 95% transferable knowledge. I also love his format.MannyMy lesson plan:1. The FMC. (I'll start warm ..engine all up and running for now) using DPs, STARs, Approach's.2. The Auto Pilot (MCP)3. Do a full auto land.4. With ATC (RCv6), ability to Radar vector in the midst and direct to etc.. adding waypoint in the middle while enroute...5. Engine start and shutdown.6. learning to get other information.. like nearest airport, frequencies (NAV and Comm) of airports and airport information...:)

Manny