Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTH

Best climb rate for the B1900D?

Guest JTH

Hi, what's the best climb rate in FPM for the B1900D? When I tell the AP to climb to a certain altitude, it defaults to 500FPM. But, using the optimum power settings for climb given in the manual, the plane takes FOREVER to reach cruise. In fact yesterday ATC told me to descend for approach before I even got to cruise at all!So obviously a 500FPM isn't cutting it. But at the same time I don't want to go for a climb that would be completely fuel uneconomical. So some advice on this issue would be great!Thanks, JTH :)

best rate of climb speed (Vy) is 135 kts .. it's all in the documentation included with the planeJanEDIT: sorry, i only have the B1900C, so speeds may vary a bit. Look in the documentation for Vy speed, in the climb maintain that speed and your ROC will be optimal. You will notice that the higher you go, the lower the ROC will be, this is perfectly normal.

It is incorrect to use a continuous Vertical Speed ascent. Your best ascent is always at a set airspeed, this is true for most any aircraft. The resultant climb vertical speed keeps changing (reducing) as you climb.As has already suggested, look at the DOCs, and find Vy, and once you have reached acceleration height (1000' to 1500' AGL) trim the aircraft for that speed and you will have your best climb. I believe it is marked by a blue line on the Airspeed indicator, and is close to 140 knots, if not exactly that.BTW, to acceleration height you should climb at V2 + 10 knots, which requires a fair pitch up, with wheels up. During this short phase you will see quite a good rate of climb. V2 is your best safe climb speed with one engine out, and I'm guessing it is going to be pretty close to 115 knots, depending of course on your take off weight.* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com