Sign in to follow this  
Guest A32X

Flap Extension Times

Sorry, P, but I don't spend a great deal of time thinking/worrying about such things. I just know that the 1~5 movement is a lot slower than all the others.... because the flaps have further to travel. In a lot of cases during maintenance, we deploy the flaps electrically... It's like watching the grass grow :)I've never done flap checks per se... I usually deploy flaps simply to get access to components on the rear wing spar.Cheers.Q>

Guest tmanaon

Thats a good idea Michael. As a matter of fact, i'll be making one of those transatlantic trips in the second week of March. I will get a timer, insist on a window seat facing backwards, and time the whole thing. Just for giggles. I will report my result on this forum.In the event that i am unable to get the right window seat, oh well.In the meantime, lets all anjoy the wonderful Queen as is.Anthony

"Remember that the first bit of extension is not just the Leading Edge slats, but the Trailing Edge flaps are also coming out too."Not from UP to 1 ;)"But normal LE slats extension is very quick. Bamm, they're out. 3-4 seconds max."Subjective measurement... or objective? Why do the manuals say 9 seconds? I think someone already commented on the objectivity of this. When you're ducking for cover when you hear the drive motors running, things may seem to be happening faster than they are :)CheersQ>

>Hi Q>>>Can I direct you to this post;>>http://744.hoppie.nl/forum.cgi/read/9129>>Do you find these settings more/less accurate?>>Thanks,>P>>>"accurate?" Accurate in comparison to what? The default 744? Not one of those replys deal with the real 744 timings, if these guys base timings on what PS1 models then the real question that should be asked is why their model does not match the real aircraft and published manuals on this subject. The truth is that the majority of these PS1 users do not own the PMDG plane and take PS1 as the final authority on everything 744 and that is an issue................Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

Anthony,I fly on a trans-Atlantic on weekly basis with the "other" British 747-400 operator,but normally facing forward.(left seat of the flightdeck)I can confirm our flap extension times are on a par with those of the PMDG model.We also offer a superb flat bed and massage service for the same price you are paying for your seat with the other mob! You should consider giving us a go,and it will make your simming seem more realistic with regards flaps!best wishesJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Hi Jon,They should promote you to Public Relations Manager ;) Nice to see how with diplomatic words you are promoting the flying lady ;)Many regards Michel

Guest tmanaon

Funny Jon. I do get flatbeds on my flights too (but no massage service..mmmm..looks like i'm missing something). Anyway point taken. Maybe i'll give the "other" British 747 operator a shot one of these trips. After i've timed it on my next trip.Anthony.

flaps 0 to 1 10 secondsflaps 1 to 5 32 secondsTimed them on my way into San Francisco this afternoon,how does that compare? I did check the PMDG model during early beta testing and remember it being pretty near?Antony, no "point", or sarcasm intended with my last post,honest.Best wishesJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

>flaps 0 to 1 10 seconds>flaps 1 to 5 32 seconds>>Timed them on my way into San Francisco this afternoon,how>does that compare?Was that on taxi to the departure runway jon?, id imagine on descent its too busy to get out the stopwatch :)

Paul,No that was over the top of SFO on the way in,I just used the aircraft`s chronometer!regardsJon

787 captain.  

>No that was over the top of SFO on the way in,I just used the>aircraft`s chronometer!>regardsIsn't it incredible? A real pilot measures things during an actual revenue flight to collect data for this simulation. You may say he performs non essential cockpit tasks during the busy (descent) phase of the flight. ;)Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest A32X

>flaps 0 to 1 10 seconds>flaps 1 to 5 32 seconds>>Timed them on my way into San Francisco this afternoon,how>does that compare? I did check the PMDG model during early>beta testing and remember it being pretty near?>Antony, no "point", or sarcasm intended with my last>post,honest.>>Best wishes>>Jon Hi,On the ground with the PMDG744 I get;flaps 0 to 1 14 secondsflaps 1 to 5 47 secondsQuite a difference particularly for 1 - 5. Also I'm guessing flap extension takes longer in the air?_Paul

also, can one take into consideration the type of computer being used. if it is an older/slower machine, will the difference appear then?so if one has a super hyped system vs. a not so hyped one, can one see the differene in flat extension time then?just wondering...TOm

>Paul,>>No that was over the top of SFO on the way in,I just used the>aircraft`s chronometer!>regards>Joni knew that instrument had some function! :) amazing! thanks for the insight yet again jon, much appreciated