Sign in to follow this  
Guest _Christopher_

Kind of embarrassed to ask this, but . . .

Guest Knikolaes

. . . there is a gauge just in front of the throttle on the 737 NG Series. It is a screen. I never even noticed it until after a while of flying the 747 and using the lower screen in roughly the same location.Yesterday, after 6 months of my 737 laying dormant, I reinstalled her to do some Southwest Airlines flights and I actually could not remembe the function of that gauge on the NG. The part that embarrasses me about having to ask this is that I cannot seem to find any reference to this screen at all in the PMDG Manuals. I can click on it, and it even has a pop-up screen whilst in the VC, but it's always black. What is this screen and how do i use it?I also have FS2Crew for the 737 NG, but have not yet reinstalled it. In order to keep proficient with FS2Crew i want to refresh myself on all systems before returning to crew resource management.Any explanation would be great. if this gauge IS in the manual, and i missed it somehow, a page number would be awesome as well.Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who answers.

Look on the main panel, there are two little buttons that say "ENG/SYS" just RIGHT of the fuel selector, after you pop up the lower eicas click on either one of those................Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

Guest Knikolaes

I shall try that immediately. Thank you, Randy.

Guest Knikolaes

Gah! Okay now I am going to sound really dumb here and ask for a screenshot. On the main panel there is no fuel selectore that I can see. The fuel selectors are on the overhead, not the main panel.We are talking about the 737 NG and NOT the 747, correct? I have the sim minimized right now, and was just looking at the main panel. I see the 3 LCD's, flap, a couple of gauges that are just dummy textures, annunciators, N1 and SPD REF gauges, gear and autobrakes, as well as the MCP but no "fuel selector". I know I MUST be looking RIGHT at it, but I am not seeing it.Note I have all updates and patches installed from the PMDG web site downloads area, and I am currently looking at the 700 w/vc/cabin

Guest Knikolaes

**Smacks forehead**Sheez. I need to be more attentive. Okay I downloaded the latest version of the manual (the original that came with the 600/700 when I first bought it did not cover this subject).Apparently this gauge indeed does not work unless you go into the PMDG settings and have over/under selected. If you have side by side selected, then the lower EICAS is rendered inoperable.I am flying Southwest Airlines style, so they use side-by-side, so thus I no longer need to worry about this gauge even existing. I had been using the ollllld manual all this time (even when the 800/900 came out the manuals were not yet combined, so i thought i was caught up).Problem solved LOL. I am going to go hide now.

Sorry I should have caught the "SWA" part but was thinking "livery" =P...............Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

Guest Knikolaes

**laughs** No problem. I myself am usually an addage of telling folks, "Read the Manual", so here I was frustrated i couldn't find my answer in the manual and realized I had an outdated manual. I am actually glad you didn't catch it at first or i would not have gone poking around the documents section and realized an updated manual was out LOL.

You know the funny part on my end is that I have not even read the 737 manuals! I know it must be covered but was going off of memory hehe.................Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

Guest Knikolaes

Heheh yeah it is in the latest manual. The original that I had from the ages of the Wright brothers (when I bought the add-on, wow it's been a long time) didn't.Going to install FS2Crew tonight. It was actually this month's Computer pilot magazine, in which the author of this month's Round Robin used the PMDG 700, that encouraged me to take a break from the heavies (747, 767 and 777) to take a spin around Mexico on a short haul :-)This will be the first Computer pilot Round Robin I am attempting with FS2Crew and Activesky (I never use the CP RR weather -- I usually stick with live weather for dynamic fun).For anyone that does not have this month's issue, and are looking for something different to do in their NG -- check it out.

OK, now you have me confused. I'm a new user of the 737-600/700, and I was always wondering about the upper/lower DU's. I know there's a "main panel" switch on the left side of the MCP, but it doesnt seem to do anything. Is it a no-op feature of this plane, or do I need to change some settings?I tried looking for settings to change in the menus on the top of the screen (flights/aircraft/world/options/PMDG), but couldn't find anything that says "over/under" or "side by side". I bought this approx a month or so ago, so I assume I have the latest version of the manual. Any ideas? Appreciate your helpRon Priever

Guest Knikolaes

Under PMDG should be a submenu that says something about Panel options. it's in there. Click on the EICAS and select over/under for that and it enables that view.

Guest Steve_Park

Ah Chris, one more silly question....I have the over/under enabled. In keyboard command's (Under PMDG for the 737 and 747) I have a entry for 100 panel switcher - EICAS as Crtl-Shft-7 however this display's my radio/center console, not the lower DU...what keyboard command do you use to display the lower DU? Oh and just to check this, the next entry is for radio panel, I installed a key combination of ctrl-shft-8 and it also bring's up the same panel....Steve

Guest Knikolaes

That I have no clue on. I rarely if ever assign keyboard shortcuts. When the EICAS is set up for over/under, I use the click spot that Randy mentioned above.Even with the work at hand, i try to use VC click spots as much as possible to simulate my actually looking around the cockpit for the switches, etc. This has actually helped me. I had the pleasure of going to Houston once to take a ride in the Continental full motion simulator down there (I was flying down for an interview as a flight attendant, and managed to talk to the right people to get me in there for cheap).By being a VC flier as i am religiously, in the actual sim i was actually able to quickly look around and actually know where everything was geographicly in the flight deck. They were impressed and I think a few of them may have bought PMDG 737's after that LOL.