Sign in to follow this  
Guest iain williams

Very embarrassing question - but I need to know

Guest iain williams

Hello:Elevators - when you push them down (button towards you on the CH yoke) that makes the aircraft attitude go up - Yes?I seem to have a slight impairment in my memory and for the life of me cannot remember.Thanks. Wish I didn't have to leave my name on this message!! (Iain)

Guest andyman

He means the trim i think. The trim button nearest you trims the elevator to pitch up the nose.The opposite trim button makes the airplane pitch down.

Guest iain williams

Thanks guys. Yes Andy, this is what I meant.The reason I asked is that I seem to have some hassles on approach with the 737-900. Let me explain.I am final approach and everything is dandy using part auto pilot and part manual flying (correct speed for flaps ratio, pitch/attitude, rate of decent & heading - speed & rate of decent controlled by auto pilot with me dialling in the decent rate & everything else being done manually).When I turn off the auto pilot to fly completely manual, I always seem to levelling out or begin to start climbing. I checked my speed and it is the assigned speed for the flaps I have out as determined by the FMC (VREF +5). To counteract the levelling or climb, I start to alter the trim. After this I am so high for landing I have to do a go around.I

Never use trim other than to release pressue on the elevator/yoke. Always place the elevator for corrections then set trim................Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

Guest Phill

This might help you with your manual approaches,,,ALT/VIEWS/VIEW OPTIONS/SELECT SMALL "V"".Phill

Guest Xiderpunk

Hi Iain,This is speculation but it may be a case of over-controlling. The aircraft will take a little time to react to control inputs, that slight delay can induce what is known in the business as "Pilot Induced Oscillations". Getting the feel of the aircraft would be a good exercise , so maybe take her up to a safe altitude and play around with manual control practicing straight and level flight, climbing and descending in landing configuration.Chris

Guest iain williams

Thanks - will try your advice....Iain

Guest adesmith

The principal problem is that when you disengage the MSFS autopilot it does not return the aircraft to you in a perfectly trimmed state, as any RW autopilot will do.You must, as quickly as possible, reestablish the ATTITUDE the aircraft was in, then make any SMALL adjustment required for a flight path deviation that may have occured all using the primary control surfaces i.e push or pull the flight yoke.Only once you have the attitude correct should you adjust the trim to relieve the constant pressure on the yoke.

Always place the elevator for corrections then set trim
summed it up totally.NEVER try to adjust the aircraft attitude by using the trimmer.P-A-TPowerAttitudeTrim(except at top of climb when you have to set the attitude then adjust the power)Trim comes LAST in the sequence.