Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boaz

weird FS9 crash while on final approach!!

Guest Boaz

Weird thing happened to me twice!I have a brand new PC and have not flown more than those two times.I have how ever looked at scenery and so on.I flew yesterday from Tel Aviv to Frankfurt, and had a go around while on manual approach, then on my second and instrument approach it crashed.It crashed when I went to spot view, to take screenshots, then the aircraft kinda blinked, then disapeared and I got a end program note...The error seems to be caused by a "d3d9.dll" which I found out, could indicate somekind of problem with DirectX...I am quite puzzled by this, but also a bit irritated, as I today had been flying for 8 hours...I do not blame PMDG, but maybe it is something you can help me with.Boaz...

(1) Have you tried reinstalling your version of DirectX? The current version is 9c, but I think there are some updates on the DirectX site at microsoft.com.(2) Almost every crash I have had under conditions you describe has been related to corrupted scenery. Does the crash occur at the same spot with more than one type of aircraft? For example, I always get a crash when flying KSEA-KSFO on the Point Reyes approach when the winter scenery is active.Just some thoughts.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

Another thought.Try running "dxdiag" on your system. Go to the start menu, select "run", then type "dxdiag" (no quotes) in the box and click run. You will get a report on your system, including an analysis of DirectX. There are several tabs in the report, so look through them to see if any problems were found. You can also test DirectX from the report.Good luck.

Guest Boaz

Wow many thanks for the reply!I guess I did not add too many details on my post.Well I have a new PC, and it came with a windows OEM SP2 XP, which has the C version of DirectX already installed. I did the test you recomended, and all was good.I have NO problems what so ever, but I did actually experience some texture loading times, that did not seem to be caused by exessive system work... Har to describe.But what exactly did you mean when you mentioened corrupt scenery?This error has only been experience on final. Meaning below 1000ft.But never on the ground, when slewing or when flying.Only just before landing, as I said I even had a go around, so I was close to landing, but the second time it crashed.my system:Asus A8N-SLI/Premium, nForce4, S939Chill Innovation CP-520A2, 520W, ATX2.2AMD Athlon64 FX-57, S939, BOXPlextor PX-750A/T3K, DVD

Guest Boaz

I have also noticed, that even though performance is good, when ever I change through the menus in FS9 before I enter flights and so on, the screen flickers just briefly. I sometimes have like a small screen that gets stuck in the upper left corner, after choosing the PMDG B747-400.This does not happen with any other.I see some stuttering at times, where the fps drop, but it is like loading.Boaz...

Well that's good news about your system.The only other thing to read carefully are the CTD articles at the beginning of the forum to see if any of those apply to your system.Corrupt scenery is when there is some kind of error in the file. A program called FlightSim Manager (in the AvSim library, I think) has a scenery checker. You might try that.The other thing to do is rebuild your fs9.cfg file. Just delete the old one, restart FS9, and a new one gets built. Of course, you have to then go in and reset your favorite settings under the FS9 "settings" pages after you restart. This file also gets corrupted from time to time, especially if you install a lot of add-ons or change video card drivers.

Guest Boaz

What might apply to my case?Thank you, for you have been most helpful!!Boaz...

Cannot say for sure. Read Randazzo's article entitled "Good news on CTDs" (or something like that) -- it's currently the third subject at the top of the forum.Sorry I have not been able to help solve your problem. Maybe someone else out there has the answer.Regards.

Guest Boaz

About the crash topic... It is only for people who don't have the stick shaker sound, and BELIEVE me I do have it ;)I have edited many of my 3d card's settings, to releave the workload sorta...I will try to delete the FS9.cfg.I have also reinstalled the universal patch as per Randazzo's recomendation in the above topic.Anyone else feel welcome to jump in here...Also I did some circuits yesterday in Boston, once in the default and then in the PMDG 744, same result, an amazing trip to and from FL350 :) but no crash...Boaz...

Guest Boaz

I will fly a test flight in about half an hour...I am going to fly RJAA to RKSI...I have Fscene textures for Europe, Asia, Autralia/New Zealand but I also have Birds Eye View installed, but that is for the US only...Are there any miss fits that are known of?? And by misfits I mean compatability issues :)Boaz...

Guest Boaz

First test flight went with out snags!Landed softly in Incheon!Now I am flying back... This will make the workload on the PC harder, as the second flight closes to an end...Before the flight I had deselected Vertical Sync in my 3D card setup, deselcted anti strophic filter, set the range of texture quality to prefer performance rather than quality. Also I changed my auto gen setting from extremely dense to very dense.Hope all goes well, if it does, I am gonna do the ultimate test tomorrow... That is from Frankfurt to Boston again, like the last crash!Boaz.

Guest Boaz

I flew back again to Tokyo.There were some stuttering while descending.Also the flight froze at the SAME moment in the final APP.BUT this time it loaded the textures, I guess that is where FS9 stuck it self. While loading the airport textures.It is like when you approach the airport and get really close, that FS9 loads a bunch of airport ground textures.I think with my previous VERY high settings, it was simply too much for either the graphics card or FS9 it self...Is there ANYONE out there who can comment these happenings??PLS PMDG I know you are busy, but I wouuld love it if you could maybe give me some pointers.Boaz...

What kind of graphics card with how much on-board memory?Latest driver installed?

Guest ToMy Li

Boaz, my mine friend has the same CTD on final after long trips flown like you, identical. We had flown many hours in our computers, of course using latest 747 PMDG version and reproducing another scenarios, situations etc...The summary, always in final approach to Frankfurt Main (EDDF works fine yes Im sure)Don't be turned crazy Boaz... I know where's the problem "XXXX" cofff cofff cofff :-erks but I don't know why it's causing that, it is the question :-lol YES Im TOMAS, YES YES Im these bad man, terrorific or children (for somebody) of the FS forums, also your nightmare YES, Im agree with other adjetives, Im not looking for a new or similar war NO, no no... quiet people! Im just rating those big and very important CTD's Okay? Don't shootRegards,

Hey Boaz,Well it looks i have the same problem as you. When turning final and in a range of 5nm from the aiport FS crashes or hangs. I don't know what it is but its really irritating me. First i thought it was IVAI (The Eye of IVAO) because this progam is heavy to run in the background en does impact the frames in FS. I did a couple of tests but find out IVAI is not the problem maker.I reinstalled my computer and FS and it seems the problem isnt solved. I guess it's an old hardware driver thats conflicting somewhere, somehow. Personally i think its my sound card, but still testing with that.....So mate, i dont have a solution.... only the same problem.