Sign in to follow this  
Guest ZsB

747-400 touchdown rate

Guest ZsB

After trying to find an exist TOPIC for this, now I have opened one.The first PMDG version has an incredible high rate by autoland, above 200 fpm. After the patch, the actual version (v1.1) it is always able to produce a rate under 200, in mean time around 150 fpm.Landing by hand, I can reach from a 50 to 100 fpm, in very ideal situations, but this time I always land too late on runway, near the limit to going around. The correct approach speed has been aligned, the plane is on it, but some times against this, the plane make a three point landing with some reairborne, and with a falling down like a rock result. After dosens of landings, I HAVE NO STABLE WAY FOR AN AVARGE BUT SAFE LANDING BY HAND. With autoland, everything goes good, but this way is very boring...So, my q is how and what can we reach with the PMDG? How do you do this!? And what is the result?Thank you for your comments!

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

well u can reach smooth landings( about 100fpm)in nearly every situation except in difficult wind conditions( heavy crosswind etc.)How to do this? well the manual says retard throttles at 50 feet and start your flare at about 30 feet. I personally prefer starting flare at about 20 feet. however this is the basic technique, do some touch and go´s and practise and btw do u arm your speedbrakes? this is very important it prevents you from lifting up again after T/D

It is worth noting that a rate under 200fpm is apretty smooth touchdown in real life. You're doing well!Plus it is preferable to have a firmer touchdown in the landing zone than a 'greaser' 2,000 feet further down the runway.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest andyman

Although its possible to grease at the 1000 marker if you do it "correctly".

>So, my q is how and what can we reach with the PMDG? How do>you do this!? Follow the recommended landing technique in 747. At 50 ft AGL "think" about the flare but do nothing yet. At 30 ft bring the nose up to around 5-6 deg pitch and retard the throttle at the same time.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest ZsB

After reading your posts, i was making some landing training and my experiences was so good, than I can't miss a repsonde to the topic.I think, the callout are very important, the VSI tape not so precision, or not so good to use under 500 feet/min rates. So just use your ears and wacth for the callouts and in time pull the yoke (or what you have) back.My last rates was about 60-70-80-90 feet/mins. Thanks for all.

Guest lavis1930

I believe that touch down rates of less than 90 ft/ minute are unnecessary. If the final approach is 150 knots and the aircraft is coming down a 3 degree glide slope then the mean descent rate will be about 800 ft/minute or 13 ft/sec. That would be a bad bump and would give the aircraft a good shake but it should not break. Reducing the rate to 2 ft/sec or 120 ft/minute should give a firm landing. 1.ft/sec or 60 ft a minute should be a soft landing. Remember that at a 150 knots one second will take you 253 feet down the runway.However on a fully automatic landing I have found that sometimes the impact is quite high and the autopilot disconnects!David CL Francis

>descent rate will be about 800 ft/minute or 13 ft/sec. That>would be a bad bump and would give the aircraft a good shake>but it should not break. 800 ft/min may not "break" the aircraft but it will definitely take it out of normal service and send it for rather costly repairs. I don't think an airline accountant would be pleased. ;)Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg