Sign in to follow this  

BEWARE OF WILCO!!!!!!!!

Scott,Do you fly out of Lake In the Hills, too? I wonder if I've ever seen you before.Jason

Well, the sig is semi-outdated. I've never actually flown out of Lake in the Hills, but I was supposed to have started some lessons, but that fell through, then I was going to be joining CAP at Lake in the Hills, but I haven't had the chance to go yet. Even though I've never actually flown out of there, I guess I sort of consider it my "home airport" :-lol (long story short, too lazy to fix sig).Scott

I've found Wilco's service policy to be appaling in the past. Personally I wont be buying Wilco products as I'm still miffed about the previous Airport series not being updated and the lack of response when asked about future plans. The last release crunched my frame rate to the point of being able to go make a cup of tea and enjoy a nice digestive.The airports though very nice are technically badly designed in my humble view. The comparison I use are German Airports (great !) and Gary Summons series. All superb renditions but without the overhead.As far as having to upgrade or buy a new machine, forget it. I often wonder why is it I can "play" far more technically comprehensive graphical games that scoot along on my steam driven system, yet one badly drawn / designed airport / plane, crunches my system.I'm sure theres another debate to dicuss on the latter points but would hate to see this thread locked simply because George has written something factual once again.George

No problem there. I hung out at 3CK long before I learned to fly. Thinking about joining the CAP, huh? Lively bunch that lot is! ;) I've seen them practice marching in the parking lot numerous times in full uniform. They look a lot like ROTC to me. They have high school kids that have more medals and decorations on their uniforms than a full US Army General. ;)

Hi George,Where do you get the Gary Summons series?Thanks,Bruce.

The PIC767 external view absolutely destroyed my frame rates on a P3 1GHZ,512 Ram and GEFORCE 3 TI200.Thats why a lot of simmers with this product use POSKY'S superb GMAX 767 models.Other than I have had no problem with the software, which by the way is excellent!.I also purchased thier 737 for FLY! a while ago and when I email them about the situation with updating the model to work with FLY2,they replied within 2 days with an answear.That's not too bad.Cheers

Guest RSmith

Good string, not limited to Wilco, though. On my dated, PIII800, 32 meg GEF2GTS, and 512 ram, I have to pass several of the add packages, - due to frame rate hits......Another interesting point, imo, is many simmers are no-longer chasing FS performance with new, $1,000 + hardware..... I've read more often than ever, than many have reached an acceptable level of sim performance, like me, with 2 year old technology. I've also found, I have to skip many of the great adds, just as in the past, due to performance requirements. Guess the difference this time (FS2002 vs. 2000, 98, etc.) - is the "base FS package" is so good, the "adds" aren't a "requirement" to really enjoy a good simming experience. In the past - the adds were necessary to create some level of realism. Guess that means we're advancing !On every release before, I'd jump to the hardware upgrades to get performance up to some minimum level, within my budget. This time - I'm not - the sim is going just fine, locked at 15, sliders mid- to mid +, and infrequent flights into heavy scenery areas like SFO, JFK, LAX, ATL, etc.(And, I've been "hooked" since 1985, so this ain't all new to me....)RonKORL

This may be off topic but.....does it seem to you guys that the more that we try to improve the quality of FS the more money it takes to make the software run? I mean, yea the more detail and realism you put into it the harder its gonna be on your system, but, I could only wish that there was some way to end all that. Here these companies are coming out with software that require tremendous amounts of system requirements that most people aren't going to use, and when you do get to the top of the line, its only at the top for about, what a year? And then something new comes out that is required to play something else that's new and incredibly realistic. It's really too bad, if only technology would slow down after a breakthrough in technology. But, now everytime breakthrough tecnology comes out, a breakthrough in that breakthrough comes out (sorry i'm getting confusing here arent i???)and ......I don't know i'm just rambling now, but........i think you can see my point!

As far as i'm concerned FSNat does not kill frames. the only things that WILL kill frames areBuilding, Textures, the amount of AI you add, and their static planes and the textures and all that ish them selves.thing that WONT KILL FRAME:JETWAYSTRUCKS/VEHICLESRUNWAYSLIGHTS (SOME COULD DEPENDING ON HOW MANY)thats basically it.......ORD, ATL, the other US airports have never killed my frames from WILCO the only one(s) that might kill frames is DFW-DALLAS FORT WORTH its the biggest one their. DFW is bigger and is more dense...the only sceneries that kill my frames are Simflyers sceneries. but they suck from lack of LIFE/DETAIL whereas Wilco provides all that.:) :) :) :) :) dont just JUMP to conclusions for everybody. :) :) :) :)

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Folks:Wilco is a great company, which has produced the Airport series, 767 PIC... All nice products. Now, I don't know what's wrong here... I ran PIC with its aircraft at 15 FPS on my Athlon AMD-K7 700MHz. I find it funny though. Let's do an excercise. Take a supermarket bag. Stretch it a little, and put a finger on the middle. If you push a little, nothing will happen. IF you push a little harder, the bag will stretch. If we don't push the limits of computer power, and are "tied up" to users of outdated computers, we won't advance, fellas. If we (developers) started excluding detail or new features because folks with outdated systems won't be able to run it, we won't use new features. We won't push the bar up like we always have. We'll be conformist. And being conformist is not advancing. Now, I have a top notch system, I admit it, and I no longer mind FPS. But guys, if developers don't push the bag it won't stretch. If MS didn't push the limits, we'd still be flying FS98. Many of the products which set a bar for FS development were called FPS killers and criticized strongly by people with low systems. I run SimFlyers at 20FPS with the SB A340, even though my old system got 2 fps with SimFlyers alone. :-lol So guys, if your system can't handle add-ons, it's not the developer's fault. We have to sacrifice detail for performance, and some of us are not really willing to sacrifice too much detail, because if we did, where would we still be? :)Flydog: With that system you should run ANY Wilco product fine. There's something not matching there.My system:P4 2.53GHz1GB RAM128MB GeForce 4 Ti 460080GB HDAll FS settings to max.Cheers,http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d45c0a74ed4e325.jpgAA RULES!!! :)Download my semi-photoreal AA 757!:http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=16882Aerolineas Argentinas A330-200 NOW AVAILABLE!!http://www.thevivcorp.com/~fyarepaints/MyR.../posky332ar.zipChrome AA 767 NOW AVAILABLE!!http://www.thevivcorp.com/~fyarepaints/MyR...osky767aaV1.zipDominicana de Aviacion 727-53C NOW AVAILABLE!!http://www.thevivcorp.com/~fyarepaints/MyRepaints/dom722.zip______________________________"Whenever you find yourself in the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect" - Mark Twain

Guest PAtom

hi,what do you expect? something like their "a320 pilot in command" running on a 500mhz/64mb/voodoo2 system with 30fps?please take a look into the features section first before talking about minimum hardware requirements. if you find a way to realize THIS features running smooth on a p3-500, it would be a honor for me to create the 3d model it in gmax...cheerstom (project airbus - a320 frameratekiller designer)

In search of improved frame rates, I recommended a test that we in scenery design forum eventually ran. George of fsregen took up the challenge and provided a nice set up so that we could evaluate fairly. I was an avid user of fsds for 3d objects, and yet some folks were claiming that gmax could create the same objects with better frame rates.The results were astounding. We set up a matrix of 100 safety barrels modelled in fsds against a similar matrix modelled in gmax. George created a "flight" so that testers always started at the same spot with the same view.Frame rates were ~15 with the scasm objects, and ~30 with the bglc objects.I tell you this because I'm seeing comparisons between frame hits from different scenery packages. If any of the scenerys from before fs2k2 are being compared to any from after, the difference could be gmax objects in the newer package. This is NOT a reason to say the older designer isn't as good, because the tool wasn't available then.One poster claimed vehicles are kind to frame rates, but buildings aren't...this makes no sense...frame rates are limited when the computer is attempting to display more polygons than the throughput of bits can support. The display doens't know a vehicle from a building. However......if the vehicle was made with bglc code, and the building was made with scasm.....Don't get wrapped up in circumstantial evidence.Cheers,Bob Bernstein