Sign in to follow this  
brucek

PMDG B744 using two monitors?

I have recently acquired a second LCD monitor on my PC. With a new CPU, RAM, video card and mobo I am having great performance using the VC in the PMDG B744. Do any of you use two monitors when flying this bird? Any performance issues from doing so (anything to watch out for to avoid performance issues?). I would imagine the VC on my front monitor and perhaps the overhead on my second monitor, but I'd be interested in any other views that people here are using.Thanks- and this B744 bird is the best! Thanks PMDG. Also a nice write-up on the PMDG B744 in the Feb. 2006 edition of Airliner World (page 64/65).Bruce.

Hey Bruce.Do you have the same size (resolution) LCDs?Then make it like one monitor..You know one big window that bleeds over to the second monitor.Now you would have a single real widescreen monitor with that bezel in the middle.IF you have a decent video card you should be able to do that. I saw one setup like that at our local FRY's store..I think its a better setup than a single 24" widescreen monitor.The VC of the 744 or for that matter the F1-ATR would look awesome.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest UPS523

The PMDG aircraft are great for multi monitors. I have a SLI setup and nvidia so far dosent support multi monitors for SLI which is B.S.If i would have known that i never would have gone with 2 video cards

Guest lou ross

I have 2 monitors connected to an AGP card and 1 monitor connected to a PCI card. Main and overhead monitors are 21", the overhead has the ovrhd panel. Turned up and "rotated" 90 degrees on the floor (17" monitor) I put the power lever and radio quadrants. Working fine.

Guest ecj1983

g'day, that sounds like a good idea, can the mouse be used through all monitors? i might do a set up myelf.be cheaper then the hardware i reckoncheers

Hey Manny,Thanks- yes they are similar, I had never thought of that.Thanks- Bruce.

Hi,So- do you just activate "Extend my desktop" in Display/Properties, then drag one of the PMDG panels to it?Thanks- Bruce.

Guest lou ross

Not sure if the last 2 questions are for me, but the mouse automatically slides to the other monitors; your monitors have to be recognized by the video cards, the resolution the same for each one.

Guest Foizman

Hi, do you prefer flying with 2d panels or in the VC?greets,Foizman

Hi Foizman,I prefer flying with the VC- which is nothing short of amazing in this product (the B744).Bruce.

Guest Foizman

hi Bruce,so I don't see the need of skaling the FS-window up to two Screens, because you can't strech the FS-window to 2 monitors, can you?regards,Foizman

Hi Foizman,So- I guess my question is, when using the VC, how do people use a second monitor for FS (and the B744 PMDG in particular)? And how do they achieve it? Is a second monitor useless when using the VC? I have tried undocking the overhead panel on the PMDG B744 and moving that over, which works well. Is it possible to also move the throttle quadrant or a side view over to my second monitor?I'm searching the forums also. I saw a post somewhere in the FS forum suggesting a special new forum on using a second monitor, and I agree :)Thanks- Bruce.

Bruce,I am using two monitors and have done some experimenting. Using a VC over two monitors will bring your FPS to a halt. Actually displaying any window with 3D content on two monitors connected to a regular video card seems to bring the FPS down. Now the main use for my second monitor is to display 2D panels. I transfer my overhead, the FMC and the throttle displays to my second monitor. My CAD0.02,

Thanks Mats, much appreciated. That's good information to know.Bruce.

I also put panels like overhead and fmc on the second monitor but it is also possible to use VC on the main and some 2D panel on the left and it won't affect the performance. Some addons also have a captains panel and an FO panel and you can put one on each monitor. The PMDG747 has that setup but unfortunately when you do that it doesn't look that good. The Aeroworx Superking air however works very well for that. Here is a picture of my setup and please remove it if it's not appropriate!!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/142589.jpg

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------