Sign in to follow this  
Pod562

Airbrakes on Landing

Should my airbrakes deploy on the PMDG 737 800 automatically on landing?They don't and I wondered why. Cannot find anything under search so maybe it is just a problem I am having.ThanksRenzo

Bill Miller

ciao renzo,you need to arm your spoilers. when the rear wheels make contact with the ground, it will spin the spoilers up.to arm your spoilers, hit (SHIFT + /)it should work.tommaso

Thanks Tommaso but I do arm the spoilers but the airbrakes don't deploy on landing. Nevermind.CheersRenzo

Bill Miller

RenzoYou must also have the throttles back at idle. Whay i do is pull the throttes to idle at 50-30 feet and the spoilers always deploy....... they must be armed as has already been pointed out.When you arm them do you see the green "arm" indicator ?Peter

Peter Schluter

Yes I do see the green 'arm' indicator but I wonder whether now it is because I haven't disengaged the auto-throttle in time during a autoland. I thought with a full dual channel autoland that you don't disengage the AT until after landing but maybe this is causing the problem.ThanksRenzo

Bill Miller

Guest pveelo

Besides if the airbrakes deploy on landing but with me I cannot deploy them during flight when drag is required. Can anybody tell me how to do it?

Renzo,you are correct that on a dual channel autoland you do NOT manually disengage A/T at touchdown. So the cause for spoilers not deploying must be somewhere else.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

>to arm your spoilers, hit (SHIFT + /)Shift + / will not work if you have the B738/B739 add-on. You have to use the mouse for arming the spoilers.There were many postings regarding that very topic after the B738/B739 release so a search on this forum should give you numerous hints and tips.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest pveelo

Markus,Thank you for your quick reply, but I can arm the spoilers with the mouse no probs.But activating the speedbrakes during flight will not happen!rgdsPieter

Pieter,I can extend my speedbrakes with the standard speedbrake key command. Should be working for you as well. Note that the speedbrake lever will not go into ground position while inflight. Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Strange that the -800-900 Shift+/ no longer works. I've found that too, and have to use the mouse.>Besides if the airbrakes deploy on landing but with me I>cannot deploy them during flight when drag is required.I'm having difficulty, too, deploying the speed brakes during flight.My solution is to open an exterior view so I can actually see the spoilers, and then I keep hitting the '/' key until they deploy. I've found that double-clicking '/' seems to work most of the time, both for deploying and retracting the spoilers. I hope someone can give you (us) a more reliable answer.Geoff

Geoffrey Kent

Just a techincal correction :(Airbrakes/speedbrakes = outboard 'spoilers' that help with the loss of energy and speed during flight, they do not extend to their full limit.Spoilers = inboard and outboard spoilers that all extend to the full limit to 'dump' lift apon landing to aid braking.

Alaister Kay

Thanks for that Alaister - had no idea.Geoff

Geoffrey Kent

"Spoilers = inboard and outboard spoilers that all extend to the full limit to 'dump' lift apon landing to aid braking."Then why do they call the system which helps you stop on the ground, the "autospeedbrake" system?Spoiler is a generic term used to describe all of these panels, whether they be used for roll control or drag(in the air or on the ground). At least this is how it is written in the very technical Maintenance Manual.You will come across the terms "flight spoiler" and "ground spoiler" frequently in Boeing Manuals.Cheers.Q>