Sign in to follow this  
Guest derekb

Newbie question about 737NG Intro Flight

Guest derekb

I recently installed 737NG and after reading most of the manuals I could find, I tried the Introductory flight. I ran into two problems, possibly related, that I was hoping some smart person here could help with.In the section "Cockpit Preparations", when I first fire up the FMC, the instructions say to click on LSK 1L and then LSK 6R POS INIT, and that of course went fine. The next lines says to click on LSK 1L again to copy the actual position into the FMC. Nothing happens when I click on 1L and it's not clear to me what's supposed to happen anyway. Over on 1R, the GPS positioning data is there.That's the minor one. The other issue is that after following the rest of the steps programming the FMC, everything looks fine, all the legs show up, etc., and then I get the engines started, and things seem to be working ok. Just prior to takeoff, the manual says to check the MCP to make sure all the data matches what I put in the FMC, but the MCP just has the default numbers in it (HDG of 000, SPD of 0, etc.)I can't figure out why the MCP does not display the data that Iinput into the FMC.I guess I'll throw in a thrid and final question:When I advance the throttle to start taxiing, an alarm sound that sounds like a quick busy signal on a phone is heard and won't go away until I go back to idle. What does that sound signify? And is there somewhere I can go to get more information on the various alerts? Other than the FMC related difficulties, I am totally enjoying this aircraft. :-)Thanks folks!

Guest Daniel Slade

Hi Derek,Ok, Question one, The 737NG does not use the IRS function as PMDG did not model it, so you can skip that step. In the 747-400 "Queen" you do have to align the IRS system to let the FMC know where it is.Question two, The MCP will not set it's self. What you need to enter into the MCP manually is runway heading and speed. The heading is straight forward, the speed should be set at V2+10. So if you have a V2 (speed after rotate) of 160 knots then you should enter 170 knots manually.Question three, This to check here are, Flight Director on, Autothrottle engaged, Speedbrake down (lever forward), Flaps set and Autobrake RTO or OFF.Hope the above helpsDaniel

>Hi Derek,>>Ok, Question one, The 737NG does not use the IRS function as>PMDG did not model it, so you can skip that step. In the>747-400 "Queen" you do have to align the IRS system to let the>FMC know where it is.>>Question two, The MCP will not set it's self. What you need to>enter into the MCP manually is runway heading and speed. The>heading is straight forward, the speed should be set at V2+10.>So if you have a V2 (speed after rotate) of 160 knots then you>should enter 170 knots manually.>>Question three, This to check here are, Flight Director on,>Autothrottle engaged, Speedbrake down (lever forward), Flaps>set and Autobrake RTO or OFF.>>Hope the above helps>>Daniel> the speed should be set at V2+10 No this is wrong. You never ever ever set anything other than V2 for a 737 (I don't care what the manual says it is wrong). Now, on the 747 it is true that some airlines do in fact set V2+10 (United for one) but the majority that I am aware do not. ...............Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

Guest Daniel Slade

Thanks Randy,BUT I thought we were given the manuals and procedures for a reason. I do understand that different airlines fly to different parameters with the same airframe's and I just took it that we fly for (in effect) PMDG and the book states:After Takeoff Procedure Explained:Maintain a minimum of V2 + 15 knots during initial climb. At light gross weight a higher speed (up to V2 + 25) may be selected.(Normal procedures revision 1.2 15NOV03)Perhaps a better explanation would help so we all understand fully.ThanksDaniel

Guest derekb

Thanks, this is really helpful. It's all in the details! The manual said to "check" that the MCP had the correct values so I assumed they would already be there. I'm happy to input them.Thanks again for the speedy and helpful response to all of my questions...Derek

Guest Floundog

>Thanks Randy,>>BUT I thought we were given the manuals and procedures for a>reason. I do understand that different airlines fly to>different parameters with the same airframe's and I just took>it that we fly for (in effect) PMDG and the book states:>>After Takeoff Procedure Explained:>Maintain a minimum of V2 + 15 knots during initial climb. At>light gross weight a higher speed (up to V2 + 25) may be>selected.>>(Normal procedures revision 1.2 15NOV03)>>Perhaps a better explanation would help so we all understand>fully.>>Thanks>>DanielGents...helping to answer the question, with reference to Bill Bulfer's excellent 737NG cockpit companion:V2 is set in the MCP. On the deck, this also sets the V2+15 bug on the PFD airspeed display.During takeoff (FD's on, TOGA pushed), the flight director after 60 knots will command 15 degrees noseup until after lift-off and a sufficient climb rate is achieved, then pitch is commanded to maintain MCP+20 (i.e. V2 +20, optimum takeoff flap climb speed) until a new speed is selected (usually 1,000 feet) for acceleration and flap retractation schedule.If an engine fails before reaching V2, the bars will command V2 as set in the MCP.If an engine failure occurs after V2, but less than V2+20, the bars will command whatever speed you have.If an engine failure occurs above V2+20, the bars will command V2+20. Hope this helps,-Floundog