Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daniel Slade

A question and some advice

Guest Daniel Slade

Hi all,To PMDG I have a question, with the impending release of the "F Queen" is it possible that you can change the cards you accept? My cercumstances are exceptional I know, but not everybody in the world holds a Visa, Amex or Mastercard. The use of Switch, Solo, Maestro and Cirrus is becoming much more widespread through th EU these days and a lot of banks now only issue Visa and Mastercard as credit cards that not everyone wants.The advice.SHRED EVERYTHING. The story goes like this, I had a very good relationship with my bank, and had over the years seen my credit limit on all my credit cards go through the roof. I spent on them and paid them off in full at the end of every month. My credit limit was reduced many times by myself as the banks just kept increasing it every 3 or 4 months. At the time of this event, the limit's had increased to

Guest allblack

"but I have been left with the debt of the credit cards, up to the point of reporting the theft"How much is this? I find this curious because unless you were remiss in reporting the theft/dodgy transactions when the statements arrived, you shouldn't be liable for ANY debt not incurred by yourself!The credit card company I work for has a maximum of NZ$50.00 cardholder liability, even if you report the theft in a late manner.I disagree that the debt from fraud is your problem, and I think you need to have a chat with your bank. From my experiences, neither Visa Int'l or MasterCard Int'l would be particularly happy with banks issuing cards under their brand names that make the cardholder liable for fraud debt if the cardholder reports the fraud shortly after the monthly statements turning up...AND the bank has plenty of chargeback options for fraud transactions, so if they can reverse the debt, why should you pay it?Visa & M/C want people to use their cards, and if people don't due to intransigent banks then you might be surprised at how interested they would be in your story if your bank won't play nicely.Just a thought...CheersTimNZWN

We had some notices in our door about shredding financial and personal documentation. scary stuff indeed!! as far as i can see the way forward is prepaid credit cards and disposable credit cards for one off purchases. It seems the rise in online shopping has brought along the ugliness of credit card companies and banks throwing money at you, you really gotta be careful with your finances these days or you can find yourself in some serious debt!as far as PMDG are concerned i would have thought they would accept cheques or bank drafts but then again its all online verification systems now.

>The two gentlemen that stole my identity have been caught,>they took my details out of the dustbin and are now serving a>six month prison sentance.And I can't believe my ears - it happened in one of the EU countries? I thought it could only happen in gangster infested USA :-lolMichael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest Daniel Slade

Tim,Thanks for your thoughts!! The total on cards was

Guest allblack

Daniel, that's good news.I still think you are being shafted, if a New Zealand bank tried that on they would be commercially ostracised.However, the view of the UK banking system in most of the Southern Hemisphere is that they have about as much integrity and professionalism as a Saddam Hussein trial, so maybe it's not surprising.Whilst the news is favourable for you, I don't think you should give up. You should not be made liable for a credit limit you didn't ask for, and transactions you didn't make, but if this saga is a year old, then you may be behind the 8-ball to a large degree.Did you report the dodgy transactions in a reasonable time? If so, why did your bank/s not use the Visa and MasterCard Charegback regulations to reverse the fraudulent transactions back to the merchant/s via their Bank/s? If this was done, the liability for the debt remains with the merchant's bank, and there would be no debt for you to pay!Glad I could help.CheersTimNZWN

Guest Clansman

hi everyone,I must say this is a very unfortunate story to read.I work in the information security industry and this issue describes one of the reasons that I stay away as much as possible from credit cards. Even if people are very careful with their credit card information there are other people (vendors) that necessarily access the same information and sometimes with dubious ethics.I use temporary credit cards that can only be used once, with a strict credit limit chosen every time and with a short validity of 1 month within activation.Even if someone intercepts my temporary virtual credit card number (that I sent to a vendor), it's use is conditioned by the following:- it only works once; i.e. must be used *before* the intended vendor does;- the credit limit was chosen by me for that particular transaction;This is a reality in Portugal and emulates visa/mastercard/maestro credit cards. Is there anything simillar in the rest of the EU (particularly in the UK) and/or the US?Cheers,Pedro Venda

Hi.Luckily I have never had any fraudulent use of my cards but i do have the same cards as you so am just as vunrable. so I decided to read up on barclaycards site and found this. It is a cut and paste of a large documenty so hope it is ok in isolation.The web site is:http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/Products/Appl...fits/tandc.htmlabd the extract says:Fraud ProtectionYou will be liable for

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Guest wisborg

As far as I know, then in Denmark, then if ythe shop can not shop either show your signature or prove that you used your pin code as validation, then you can at any time refuse that payment./ Jesper

Guest Daniel Slade

Hi all.Thought I would give an update.I have now been informed that I owe NOTHING!!!! The money I have already re-paid will be given back to me WITH INTEREST. It would seem that both VISA and MASTERCARD have a rather large hammer they can hit the banks with and they have used it.I have also been informed by MASTERCARD that here in the U.K there IS a pre-pay credit card. For anyone interested fees are small,

Guest wisborg

I'm glad to hear it came to a happy ending :-)/ Jesper