Sign in to follow this  
RPRIEVER

Autoland question

Hi all,I have a question about autoland. I have the PMDG 737-600/700. I know how to do a normal (single channel) ILS landing, but can't figure out how to do an autoland. I've tuned both radios to the same ILS frequency, and set it up for a normal landing, with the "A" autopilot on. But when I press the "B" autopilot (at approx 200 ft AGL), the light comes on, but the "A" autopilot light turns off. I know you need both autopilots on for autoland to work, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Ant suggestions?Thanks,Ron

An Autoland is a Dual Channel Approach.-tune both NAV to ILS frequency -set course selector to ILS course-Configure to flaps 5, bug 5 to intercept ILS course-on a intercept heading when cleared for the approach push APP, verify VOR/LOC and GS armed on the FMA-Engage the second autopilot-Single CH appears when LOC intercepts, verify VOR/LOC and GS capture/engage on FMA, APP light goes out-finish configuring airplane for landingAt glide slope intercept, set MAP altitude in the MCP-ILS deviation test after capturing LOC or GS and about 1500 feet agl-800 feet agl second autopilot must be selected by now-500 feet agl flare armed callout by PNF-400 feet agl slight nose up trim added by autopilot-350 feet agl if flare not armed, disengage both autopilots and go around-50 feet agl airplane begins flare, Flare engages green on FMA-27 feet agl thrust levers retard-At touchdown auto throttle disengages in 2 seconds and autopilot must be manually disengaged and nose gear flown onto the runway.Floyd

Guest tmetzinger

key thing is to be sure BOTH nav radios are tuned to the ILS.

Floyd,Thanks for your advice. I did a quick pattern and successfully did an autoland. Everything happened more or less the way you described it. 2 questions, though. What do you mean by "flaps 5, bug 5 to intercept ILS course"??Also, after I landed, I had problems turning off the runway. The airplane was fighting me. I checked the autothrottle and it was off. I'll try it again tomorrow and see what happens. RonPS.....Oooops. I just re-read your checklist, and just noticed that thing at the end about disenguaging the autopilot. I'll bet that's what caused the problem after I landed. D'OH!!!!

Flaps 5, Bug 5 is a standard approach profile configuration for all 737's when intercepting an ILS. It means flaps are set to 5 and the MCP airspeed window is set to the flaps 5 maneuvering speed as seen on the airspeed tape on the PFD. Basicly, this is just a good configuration for maneuvering this airplane, not to fast, not too slow. You should always plan to intercept the ILS in this configuration within 15 miles of the airport. If your further out and intercepting the ILS, you may want to hold off on configuring to flaps 5, bug 5 until you get closer in. Floyd