Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

744 cruise climb - is this right?

Say I am in CRZ at FL350. MCP reads 350, FMC reads 350. Want to climb to FL390. Enter 39000 in MCP ALT, press ALT button once. Bingo?Jonathan

Guest Boaz

Step climbs I always do like this:Press alt hold...Ask clearance... Receive it...Dial in the new alt on the MCPPress V/S and select a climb of 500ft/min at the max.Then I select the alt in the FMC CRZ page.As the alt i captured I press on VNAV again...I think persoanally VNAV climbs in the crz phase would be a bit too steep for comfort.Boaz.

Guest Daniel Slade

I doubt your weight would come into it, but the passengers and cargo weight might.Sorry, couldn't help itDaniel

I always use VNAV for step climbs especialy for anything above optimum FL as it gives you speed protection,which V/S doesn`t,it`ll just keep pitching you up to a stall to gain the requested climb rate.The exception is on NAT tracks with proximate traffic,where V/S is usefull in keeping rates of climb lower,to stop TCAS RAs which could cause a domino effect up the track.regardsJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Guest D17S

How about FLCH? That's always a popular choice. Dial up the MCP and press FLCH. Notice the left FMA goes to "THR" and the right FMA goes to "FLCH SPD." This 'mode set' uses the thrust mode "THR" to target a ROC. The advantage to this mode is that you maintain speed protection. The ROC to be targeted by this mode is programmed into the FLCH function. With a < 2000 foot selection, thrust will increase to cause a speed on pitch climb at about 1200 fpm. If thrust can't get the full 1200 fpm with the current EICAS thrust linit, it will settle for whatever lesser ROC the EICAS thrust limit will provide. Generally crews fly with EICAS thrust limit at CLB to give thrust a little head room for climbs . . .or even wierd weather cruise conditions.If thrust has more room, it will target an increasing ROC until it simply maxes out against the EICAS thrust limit at about a > 8000 foot climb selection. This "THR" / "FLCH SPD" climb will (finally) be the identical performance as a "THR REF" / "VNAV SPD" climb.Once you arrive, you will capture in SPD / ALT. To get back to Vnavin', double tap the MCP altitude knob and you will reset your Vnav cruise altitude and all Vnav down range calculations. You're back in Vnav.Just another tool in the box.

>How would that cause a domino effect?>>>PaulWell, if there are aircraft stacked on top of each other as there often are following the same track,a rapid climb could spark a TCAS climb in the aircraft above,which will then cause another TCAS climb in the aircfraft above him.Jon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

That depends on how much alt im climbing through. I generally step climb 2000ft e.g FL350 to FL370 etc. ive always found VNAV to pitch the nose up a bit too much for my liking..i prefer to dial in the alt in the MCP ,use V/S with 200-300 fpm. once ALT HOLD is enabled i simply flick back onto VNAV. Everyone has their own way of doing it but in real world operations as jon stated im sure there are limitations to using VNAV or V/S with traffic etc

Guest Matthias1975

???I thought you have to requst a FL before entering the NAT and keep that one until leaving the NAT!! Or did I mistundestand a post here?? :-hmmm

Yes you get a clearance to enter a NAT track at a certain level,however you can request a climb or descent anytime while you are on the track. Its easier nowadays using the CPDLC through ACARS. Also I meant to mention, its required practice now in RVSM(reduced vertical seperation minima) airspace,which is all over europe,Canada and the US to keep cruise climbs to less than 1500 ft/min. Although I must say not many people observe the rule. Including the pilot of a Learjet 45 yesterday who dived at us off the Florida coast,causing a TCAS traffic alert,and almost making me drop my cup of tea!cheersJon

787 captain.