Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dr-Foo

Veering off runway when in TO phase

Guest Dr-Foo

Just wondering if others have experienced this and if there's a "no-brainer" solution involved: When lined up on the runway with FD, Autothrottle, and LNAV/VNAV armed, heading bugged for the runway course, I power up throttles and then hit TO/GA. Plane starts to roll, but then begins to veer to the left, I try correcting with my yoke, turning to the right a tad. It corrects but then starts to veer left again. After doing all this, I tend to lift off off-runway course or take off centered but with my right wing dipped.There's no noticeable cross-wind and this happens whether I start up on the active runway or if I taxi out to it. And in fact I do tend to veer to the left when taxiing sometimes. I'm wondering if my front wheel is off-kilter, but I took a look at the wheel while in taxi and it didn't appear to be moving to the left. Then I wonder if my yoke is not calibrated/centered for ground movement. Is this an easy fix in FS9?Cheers,Dr. Foo

Have a look at the ruddder trim on the center pedestal, it's a large round dial with a position indicator just in forward of it. Is the marker dead-center?If all is in order there, a quick calibrate of your joystick should fix it. Let us know if not!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest dt1951

Are the egnines synchronized?

I experience this with almost every flight i do. I use the CH Flight Yoke and find i have to keep going in and calibrating my controls to stop it from happening. Its no doubt the rudder control on the flight yoke is causing it to veer off to the left as mine does. At this stage im used to it i just provide a small correction on the rudder as i reach 80knots

Guest AJ

I would look at your engines too. Perhaps you accidentally pressed a button combo on you keyboard that selected engines 1 and 2. This has happened to me a time or two. Look down at you throttle quad in the VC and make sure that all four levers move together when you move your throttle controller.Andrew

from my point its definitely not an engine problem. All four engines spool up together and are stable. the veering is not a dramtic turn to the left but rather a gradual veer off the centreline usually around halfway down the runway

Guest Dr-Foo

>from my point its definitely not an engine problem. All four>engines spool up together and are stable. the veering is not a>dramtic turn to the left but rather a gradual veer off the>centreline usually around halfway down the runwayThis is precisely my situation. The veering is gradual and I have to control the forward progress with a few turns of the yoke to the right. My engines are all synchronized and my yoke is calibrated within FS9.I wonder if an intermediate solution for me would be to line the heading bug up with the runway heading, press hold, and then take-off. At least this might keep the Queen down the centerline as I rotate, then turn heading hold off one airborne. I don't want to keep calibrating my yoke and it appears it doesn't do much anyway.Dr. Foo

Guest neeraj.pendse

Dr. Foo,This is most likely a stupid comment, but just in case it is being missed: you talk about ground steering problems but you also keep talking about the YOKE ... but you need RUDDER PEDALS ... are you using the Yoke for ground steering? Have you tried using rudder pedals (or the twist axis on the joystick)?- Neeraj.

Guest Dr-Foo

Neeraj, I don't have rudder pedals, only the CH-Yoke, so it's my yoke that's being used to turn the wheel or steer on the ground.Dr. Foo

Guest andyman

OHHHHH SNAP!

by default, the ch products yoke has an assignment for rudder to be one of the throttles up top. Maybe that is your problem? check the assignments tab, and axis tab inside that menu

on my yoke the rudder control is the centre throttle on the yoke. Its very difficult to get it to neutral as you have to guess really so i think thats whats causing the problem. maybe a registered version of FSUIPC could sort this out

Guest Dr-Foo

>on my yoke the rudder control is the centre throttle on the>yoke. Its very difficult to get it to neutral as you have to>guess really so i think thats whats causing the problem. maybe>a registered version of FSUIPC could sort this outHmmmm...didn't realize this. I'll have to check into this and see what effect that control lever has; more to the point, I should move the control lever while in outside view and see if the rudder actually moves.Dr. Foo

Guest neeraj.pendse

>>Hmmmm...didn't realize this. I'll have to check into this and>see what effect that control lever has; more to the point, I>should move the control lever while in outside view and see if>the rudder actually moves.>>Dr. FooSo that comment wasn't so stupid afterall. Well, my real recommendation to you is to get a pair of pedals ... in fact, I bought the yoke and pedals, and I did not like the yoke so I now fly with MS Sidewinder FFP2 and pedals.You should see the rudder move, but the nose gear will not move when the plane is stationary ... so just be aware with that.Enjoy,- Neeraj