Sign in to follow this  

High Res or FSAA - what is better? - Paul?

Guest gasebah

Hi y'all,hi Paul,I have been experimenting a lot lately, but the more I try the more confused I am getting.In your opinion what is better in terms of framerates and picture quality?1. Running at high res like 1600x1200x32?2. Running at a lower res like 1200x1024x32 with FSSA 2x.3. Running at 1200x1024x32 and quincux?Thx fr every opinion.Alex

My opinion: What do you like?I like 16 X 12 X 32 with No AAThats me.Cheers,bt

The same. 1600*1200*32 & no AAL.AdamsonAthlon1900XPGeforce3Ti50022" monitor

1600x12x32 with Q and level 4 AnisoBobG

Guest PaulL01

>Hi y'all, >hi Paul, >>I have been experimenting a lot lately, but the more I try >the more confused I am getting. >>In your opinion what is better in terms of framerates and >picture quality? >1. Running at high res like 1600x1200x32? >2. Running at a lower res like 1200x1024x32 with FSSA 2x. >3. Running at 1200x1024x32 and quincux? >>Thx fr every opinion. >>AlexHi Alex,I dunno! :)You bring up a good topic, but one that is highly subjective depending on the individual preference as well as what hardware one has, but here is mine: I would love to run at AA x4 at 1600x1200x32 with Aniso at 32tap/level4 But I don

Guest gasebah

Hi Paul,it seems you have a very well tuned rig there. What I am also asking myself is what add-ons you are running in the background.Seems I cannot get the system performance you have. My 3dMark2001 score is just stuck below 10000. That seems low for a sys like mine but a least it is done with honest driver settings like aniso4. My usual setup at the moment is like this:Aircraft:DF Piper Archer II, orFSD Commander, orCessna Golden EaglePrograms in the backgound:FDC, AOL 7.0, FSMeteo, FSNAvigatorTwo monitor setup:Display 1: FS2002, FullscreenDisplay 2: FSNAvigator, FSD Commander or Cessna Golden Eagle Radiostack, GPSMy rig:MSI K7T266 Pro2Athon XP 2100+512 MB Apacer DDR-Ram (all BIOS settings for max perf., stable)MSI GF 4600Ti (no o/c except RAM (700MHz)OS: WinXPHomeI have FS2002 usually running at 16x12x32 with aniso level 4, no AA.When I enable AAx2 it is just enough load for my rig to give me blurries, stutters and other stuff.I had some stutters lately anyway, but I suspect that the dual monitor setup is responsible for this.Alex

Paul,What if the maximum resolution that your flight simulator runs at is 1024*768 ? :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest gasebah

Not a lot of difference at all. Maybe one or two frames better. But I do not like the picture quality. When I enable FSAA I am back to the performance at 16x12x32. When I enable quincux I think I have performance even worse than at 16x12 without any FSAA.But I did not bench this. It is all very subjective in a sense.Ask me tomorrow and I will give you another statement. That is why I opened the thread in the first place.Alex

Guest gasebah

Hmm, the answer to yr post seems a little silly now. I misread yr post and thought you were asking for 1200x1024 (by the way Paul u r right about the relation). 1024x768 that was five years ago.Alex

Guest gasebah

Thx Cave,that is a very interesting link. Now I am experimenting with 4xS without any aniso and form the first look that seems like an interesting new approach.Alex

Guest gasebah

In fact for the moment it seems 16x12x32 with AA 4xs and AF2 seems to be choice. But wait until tomorrow :-).Alex

I use 1024x768x32 and 2x FSAA and Level4 aniso on my Ti500.I would use 1152x864x32 but some text becomes blocky and unreadable on the panels. Anything above 1152x864x32 with FSAA/aniso is too slow.I dont use Quincunx, because it blurs the virtual cockpits.1024x768 with 2x FSAA is the sweet spot for me, and it looks better than 1600x1200x32 to me.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Alex,Why exactly do you consider 1024*768 resolution to be "five years ago" ? I currently run EVERYTHING at this resolution (desktop, flight simulators, games), and it looks great on my 17" monitor.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Alex,I discovered that 4xS anti-aliasing with my GeForce 3 Titanium 200 provides the best visuals for Flight Unlimited 3, since getting anisotropic filtering to work with this appears to be rather tricky. 4xS certainly looks better than standard 4x, and also Quincunx.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png