Sign in to follow this  
RogerD

PMDG GPS

HI is there a GPS control for the PMDG 737 800/900 series in the cockpit that I have to activate or is it on the ND. This is new to me I always used the the GPS to follow a course.Thanks Roger

Roger  Deloge :Cuppa:

You really, really, need to read the manuals. The FMC is the key...DJ

737NGs actually have two GPS units but they are just used by the FMC, along with other sensors, to navigate. So as was said above, the key is to learn to use the FMC. Once you do i'll bet you'll never go back to the default airliners. The best way to learn is to read the manuals that came with the PMDG and to get a copy of Tim Metzinger's Advanced Tuturial v2 and go through it start to finish. Tim's tutorial is hard to find now but if you want a copy let me know. I highly, highly recommend it.

Dave Paige

To make thinks short, the GPS units unless failed always provide info to the navigation system. As a backup to those, the IRS is also running. All of this info is available on the ND control panel as you choose each option which merges all the nav sources including nav radios where appropriate.In your docs files are several manuals regarding the FMC and ND display that you should check.Unless you specificly wish to turn off GPS reference you should be all set.If you want a course to follow on the ND, you'll have to load the waypoints into the FMC to create a flight plan or have an external flight planner that creates a plan and exports it in the PMDG .rte format. This plan can then be loaded into the FMC as COROUTE. Flight plans you create in the FMC can also be saved for future use for reloading.I use the payware FSBuild 2.22 for creating plans for exporting in FS9 format and PMDG format. There are other planners available. The use of the independent planner allows checking the route on its map and has other features such as fuel planning. I should point out that you can also check on the aircraft the created or loaded plan by on the ND control panel selecting PLAN on the mode switch. This activates a STEP command in the FMC which will advance the course for display on the ND. You need to check me on this by reading the FMC manual but these geatures are implemented.