Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

A/T thrust mode question 744

Guest D17S

That V/S will run you out of airspeed in a big hurry! Just for fun, take it to the next step. Save a flight at a FL3X0 cruise. When you just want to mess around, retrieve the flight and try an agressive V/S climb . . . but don't save the day yourself. Let the airplane save itself. Watch ol' coach AFS swapping in his relief pitcher FLCH SPD (in the pitch FMA window) and heavy hitter "THR" (in the thrust FMA window). Now kick back and watch the game play out. You'll see the pilot will have to get involved at some point. I tried this manuver in Boeing's MD11 full motion sim at Long Beach. The MD actually recovered and stabalized. . . you'll see the 744 does not. What do you think needs to be changed in the AFS programming that would allow the 744 to recover without pilot intervention? How would YOU program the AFS to respond? (note: I seriously doubt this is a PMDG programming error. I think we are seeing what would really happen in a 744.)

Guest lespindo

Sam there is no programing to do. If you climb within those ratiosyou are bound to Doooooooooooom.... Only A miracle will Help!!!!I have try it many times; this ol'Devil will eventualy recover the air craft but if you'r not an expert; you will not be able to do it.Ohhh!! and I Hope It doesn't hapen with some rough weather.