Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Dang! Repeat crashes in the 744 at VNKT - Is this why?

I just landed at VNKT (Kathmandu) and moments after lowering the nosewheel, I crashed. Twice in a row. LW was 540,000 lbs. VS on TD was -200 fpm. I was real careful with my approach speeds and about lowering the nose on the ground at TD; I reversed with the nose in the air and held the yoke back till about 110 knots. No diff; crashed each time.I also crashed on departure twice at 555,000 lbs. but got off successfully third time round as I eased the N1 forward on the roll. I had observed the nose "floating" rhythmically on each takeoff roll. I wondered if it was the crosswind. But then I saw in FSNavigator that the runway was "Bitumen". Is this why I crashed in the Queen? Was the runway in FS9 too soft for a plane the size and weight of the 744 ?Jonathan

Guest Hawkeyeted

I think you're spot on. It's got to be an FS/elevation thing/smoothing thing. It's because of that bug in FS9 that I turn off the Crash Detection altogether. I'm pretty sure you'll know whether the airplane is usable again or not! ;)

Well, good to know about this. At least I was not flying in after a 12 hour trip. Now THAT is real annoying to buy the farm in such a case!Jonathan

Guest AJ

Singapore, Changi is the same way. Seems like Asian airports seem to have a higher liklyhood of this problem for some reason.Andrew

Whoa! That is NOT good news at all. And yet,... it is sooooo MSFS!Jonathan

Guest AJ

>>Whoa! That is NOT good news at all. And yet,... it is sooooo>MSFS!>>JonathanYeah, someone really need to put a sticky thread with a list of all the airports that are unsafe for the PMDG Queen. Andrew

Including all those with non-existent, incorrect, and fake ILSs. Not to mention those that turn you onto a back-course as you intercept the LoC.Jonathan

Guest wisborg

>But then I saw in FSNavigator that the runway was "Bitumen".My experience is that it's extremely hard to land on "Bitumen" with the B747 (have succeeded once, but never been able to take off). If you trying with one of the default planes, you'll also notice that it is jumping up and down while at high speed.My solution is to open the AFCAD file in the AFCAD editor (can e.g. be found here on Avsim) and change the surface to asphalt. As far as I have understood, the two surfaces should show similar behaviour in the real world, and then all problems are eliminated./ Jesper